Green Drakes

drakeking412

drakeking412

Well it's getting to be that time and I realized I have two green drake patterns and one isn't even close to the right size. What's everyone's green drake and coffin fly pattern? Bonus points for pics and recipes.

Thanks!

Here's a simple spinner pattern:

Tails: dark

Body: White dubbing

Wings: Grizzly wrapped pretty full. Then clip the bottom of the hackle flat, or in a V shape, so it lands flush on the water.

Some people clip the top also, but if you leave the top unclipped the fly is easier to see, and the trout don't care.

For the Drake, use a similar concept.

Tails: dark

Body: Yellow dubbing

Hackle: Grizzly, light ginger, dark ginger.

Again clip the hackle on the bottom for a flush floating fly. Or leave the hackle alone for a higher riding fly for fast moving water.

I've never been much of a hatch follower, so most of the time when I would run into green drakes, it was more incidental than actually intended. For freestone fish, either wild or mixed wild/stocked, I never found anything I liked better than the old Gray Fox Variant as detailed over a half century ago by Art Flick in a #10 or 12. Hackle wise, it is about the same as the drake Troutbert recommended.

Here is a pic and the pattern, although I never tied the hackles that much oversized. I usually made them about 2 sizes bigger than standard.

https://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewtopic.php?t=729

On Monday on penns, they pretty much hit any large green fly . Bonus if it had some yellow.
Green Maurice flies worked fine.
Green soft hackles in 6-10 were good.

I used cahills for the lighter ones. Once again,size eight to twelve was good.

Extended body dries were in the size eight range

Back