Great Lake Tribs (OH, PA, NY) 2015-2016

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

I thought it was time to start up this annual thread... as I need some information :-D

The wife has booked 3 days over labor day weekend in the finger lakes - near Penn Yann, so i'm looking for info on what might be running the NY tribs around 04/09 to 07/09 ?

i realize its too early for steel, but any chance of cohos or browns in Oak Orchard, Sandy Creek, Lower Genessee, Salmon Creek etc ?

or would walking the beach be better ?

i'll have my floattube, SH and switch rods with me.

it seem its also too early for the finger lake fall migrations too.

any advice on flies etc is much appreciated.

cheers

Mark.

It looks like someone besides me has been dealing outside the USA. For those that haven't figured out what I am talking about, the dates are September 4 to 7.;-)

In PA and Ohio, steelhead are just starting about that time and best bet would be at or near shoreline.

Ohio tends to be a little later than PA because of the strain of steelhead stocked, but Ohio does get quite a few strays from PA.

I'm guessing that some Salmon will be entering the Lake Ontario tribs about that time. I think they start earlier than the steelhead do down here, but I have yet to make the trip up there.

Hi Dave, LOL. yes i was in the UK last week (plus i was born there...)

i meant 4th-7th September. thanks for clarifying.

cheers

Mark.

I caught 3 steelhead yesterday! True story...

I usually hit the Salmon river Labor Day weekend. The action is sparse, but if you pay to fish the DSR, you have a shot at some action

fingerlakes for browns, landlocks, lakers, pike and bass. why go anywhere else. some will be staging in shallower water, if it stays like this weather

I agree with sandfly, but I've never done it so I cant help much.

If you really want to try, I'd go near the mouths of the bigger creeks.

For Oak, Sandy Creek, etc. you're about a month too early.

There will be some Salmon in the SR, but that's a far drive, same with the Niagara, but that's a further drive. The SR might be worth a shot at that time. Any fish you get into will be super hot and it's not that much of a long shot that you'd get into fish. I'd fish just upstream of the DSR, but if you want to support the evil empire, the DSR would probably be your best bet.

PatrickC wrote:

The elusive PA summer steelhead!!

They're out there....just gotta know where to look ;-) hehe

Thanks guys - for these salmon should I use my 1309 spey rod or the #7 Switch ?

will these fish take a swung fly too ? or would i need to dead drift eggs, nymphs etc ?

cheers

Mark.

geebee wrote:
Thanks guys - for these salmon should I use my 1309 spey rod or the #7 Switch ?

will these fish take a swung fly too ? or would i need to dead drift eggs, nymphs etc ?

cheers

Mark.

Up to you really. My everyday rod on the Great Lakes tribs is a 7wt switch because I can do anything with it. Early and late season is when you can have those bang up days with the 2 handers. Take both :)

Hey Patrick, I always take both - I see that the Dam guys have whitewater release on both days on the SR. 750 cfs is wadeable right ?

cheers

Mark.

750 is very wadeable. The labor day releases traditionally trigger a decent early run of kings.

The lower river (below Pineville) is pretty slippery (especially below the 2A bridge) so make sure you have studs on your boots.

Either rod should be able to handle the salmon. The SR isn't huge and you won't be the only person fishing, so I'd go with the shorter one but either one would work. You should be able to get decent info online in the weeks and days leading up to your trip.

PatrickC wrote:

So, now you are into trolling?

For fish I mean.;-)

I gotta get back to that other site to test the [d]moderators [/d]waters. ;-)

Make sure to get a few scoops of Seneca Farms ice cream while you're in Penn Yann!

The water release was 750 but all the rain has brought the salmon river up to about 1200.Had friends that floated from altmar to 2a bridge,Lots of small mouth and a good selection of smaller browns and rainbow and one steelhead so they say never saw any pictures.

What Sandfly said, + LL salmon can be caught on a 4 or 6 wt. rod. they will be running out of the lakes into tributaries by Labor Day. May not be many so you probably don't want to go too far from the lakes up tribs.

Another tip............don't need your waders that time of year. It's great to be able to wet wade the Salmon River. I did last Labor Day and it was nice, not many fish, but there were a few......have fun

Early in my book. Best bet might be to find some local trout streams that might hold fish. Bass fishing in thelakes can be good. GG

So is this the official steelhead thread for the year ;)

all species :)

i'm told, the whitewater releases will kick off the coho/king season. here's hoping.

Back