Grannoms

troutbert wrote:

OK, now yinz can tell us where Grannoms, or other good hatches, are hatching in the southern half of the state.

:)

How would we know....we are all coming to Spring Creek! :-D

troutbert, didn't know the grannoms were there in significant numbers before removal of mcCoy. May be I missed them. I've only been in the area since 1997.
Perhaps it's a question of numbers and seeing them. It could also be that less people fished those sections before the dam was removed.

Grannoms on SC, thats good to hear, I didn't think SC had grannoms.

Good info.

PaulG

Maurice wrote:
troutbert wrote:

OK, now yinz can tell us where Grannoms, or other good hatches, are hatching in the southern half of the state.

Moe

I heard they've been seen on YB. Now if it will only stop raining, we'd be able to go see for ourselves.

Paul

Yesterday afternoon the footbridge and fisherman's paradise was literally covered in them. I was very surprised. I only saw a few others, but there were hundreds on that bridge.

wow, at fishermans paradise! They are making it up the river.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
wow, at fishermans paradise! They are making it up the river.

Greg Hoover told me in 2005 that he had found some in Spring Creek up along Rock Road, which is above Benner Spring hatchery. That is a long way above Fishermans Paradise.

Maybe it's time to reintroduce the Green Drakes! :)

PaulG wrote:
Maurice wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Moe

I heard they've been seen on YB. Now if it will only stop raining, we'd be able to go see for ourselves.

Paul

There you have it! Grannoms on the Yellow Breeches! Soon to be followed by Hendricksons!

Now yinz don't have to burn gas driving way up to Centre County.

The surest sign that spring is finally here is an emerging frenzy over news of grannoms hatching!

Tight lines to everyone this weekend.

Kind of makes sense to me that we would see grannoms in SE PA. What is the limiting factor? Caddis are notoriously tolerant of marginal water. Tully is a well known caddis factory.

to those of you in the grannom e-mail chain i accidentally deleted it but ill reply here ill be hitting kettle creek and possibly bfc this weekend we are staying at the kettle creek lodge if anyone wants to meet up pm me by thursday night as i will be leaving from work friday afternoon also i want to wish happy grannom hatches to all tight lines...

Brachycentrus numerosus--Penn's Creek Caddisfly, Dark Grannom, Dark Shadfly; adults have dark-mottled wings and dark blackish green bodies; pupae usually dark with green lateral stripes and dark wingcases.

Brachycentrus lateralis--Striped Grannom, Dark Grannom, Black Caddis; adults have dark wings and pupae are typically dark olive with tan lateral stripes and dark wingcases.

Brachycentrus nigrosoma--Little Dark Grannom, Little Black Caddis; adults/pupae are smaller and darker than numerosus.

Brachycentrus appalachia--Apple Caddis, Light Shadfly, Light Grannom; adults have very light tannish or grayish wings (almost white when freshly emerged) and apple green bodies; pupae are apple green with tan wingcases.

(Brachycentrus solomoni and incanu are also found in PA. B. solomoni is very similar to numerosus, and incanu is rather rare.)

Most "grannom" activity in PA occurs from mid-April to mid-May. During that time, if you carry imitations of dark and light grannoms (adults and pupae) in sizes #14-16, you should have most bases covered.

I was hoping to hit em this weekend... really wish the bigger waters weren't blown out.

JayL,

I couldn't agree with you more on the Cdc and elk. I haven't needed anything else during the hatch for the last 2 years. I say needed, but I still have other patterns every year that may or may not be tried. You can't argue with the fish though. Took my best fish in 5 or 6 years on the Cdc and elk last year. This year maybe a subsurface affair though, at least for the start.

Anyone have any word on the grannoms? All I know is that Bob hasn't made any mention of them on the Neshannock yet. Hopefully they're a bit late and the water levels will be somewhat fishable when they do come.

Ryfy -
Actually, the grannoms - especially last year - have been hatching a little early in recent years.
When I first started flyfishing, they usually didn't hatch until the last week of april - on oil and sugar creeks anyway.
Guess we just had a good old fashioned winter, and spring so far

You didn't hear this from me...

http://www.ncflyshop.com/news.stm

grannoms are hatching here now.

yes sandfly, now is there any stream fishable up here that has them hatching? This week was ridiculous!!!

Back