Grannoms

jayL

jayL

I and a few others started some threads on the eve of most of the major hatches last year, and they ended up being great threads.

They are still there to read, but what the hell. I am excited for grannoms.

Colors suck. Sorry.

Attachments

• antron.jpg
    antron.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 23
  • cdc and elk.jpg
    cdc and elk.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 4
  • cdcemerger.jpg
    cdcemerger.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 4
  • herlcdcandelk.jpg
    herlcdcandelk.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 3
  • leadwing.jpg
    leadwing.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2
Most people forget to tie an obvious head for their caddis softhackle patterns (leadwing). I like it. It doesn't look like a peacock body though. Peacock might be better.

It is peacock. The colors are just washed out in the photo. I can't seem to locate my good camera.

Thanks for the input.

Since they all look black, here are the materials:

All CDC is black
All deer hair is dark dun
Bodies are either cdc, peacock, or peacock ice dub.

They're better than my ties, so thumbs up. Extra thumbs up for your ability to use Ice dub. I can't ever get it to wrap around the thread.

gochs wrote:
They're better than my ties, so thumbs up. Extra thumbs up for your ability to use Ice dub. I can't ever get it to wrap around the thread.

I hear a lot of people say that but I think it dubs like a champ. I must be magical in ice dub cause I suck otherwise (in tying and life).

gochs wrote:

I have this problem from time to time. It's worse when my hands are really dry.

Try some lotion for the skin.

Very nice, jay. With the nymph that you tie representing a larvae, you are going fishing with a full american grannom life cycle.

It's been a while since I've heard a good Silence of the Lambs quote. Thumbs up again.

I'm desperately trying to hold off on buying hackle, so ice dub might be the trick for now.

Rub your finger tips over the wax.

I've had little luck in caddis hatches past, looking forward to giving some new ideas a try. Break out the cdc i guess.

does this help;

Attachments

• 398_4d9f6cb4988ca.jpg
    398_4d9f6cb4988ca.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 398_4d9f6cc3df00c.jpg
    398_4d9f6cc3df00c.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 398_4d9f6cda82534.jpg
    398_4d9f6cda82534.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 3
heres my card with the number to our Baltimore office if this door should shut or ha ha ha anything of that nature??? I too have some trouble with ice dub but the rule with reg. dubbing goes double here in my opinion. Less is more..

you forgot to tie a real dry fly, though!

I find that the cdc and elk outfishes everything, throughout the duration of the hatch - not just the emergence. I don't haggle with the fish over it!

I hit Spring near the Wastewater Plant in Bellefonte, and MR. Grannom and the rest of his family were present. After today I would say, "IT"S ON!"

I was unaware that spring creek had a grannom.

The grannoms on spring are recent. They're moving further upstream every year. I'd heard reports the last few years, but today was the first time I actually saw them. There is no mistaking them. In a few years, its going to be a big time hatch.

yes spring has had grannoms up to Lambs crossing for two years now. They come out on Spring about 5-7 days before penns and the Little J.
They came up from the lower bald eagle, which has tons of grannoms, probably second only to the the J. problem is, the LBE is closed to fishing when the grannoms come out- it is stocked water (ATW).
Theory is that once Mc coy dam (2007) was removed water quality improved.
The section below Mc Coy now has slates too and yes, i can confirm, a FEW green drakes. Saw two last year and the year before. Cross your fingers!

now before we get too juicy in our pants (sorry for that phrase), most people, including greg hoover, believe they will stop in bellefonte because of the park and dam

most people, including greg hoover, believe they will stop in bellefonte because of the park and dam

He's wrong. I saw them at FFP today.

There have been Grannoms in lower Spring Creek, Bellefonte to mouth, at least since the late 1980s. I know that from direct experience. Whether they were there before that, I don't know.

And they were pretty heavy in those days, too. That was long before the dam removals.

Insects fly, so dams do not limit their range, because they can easily fly right past them.

There are a few Grannoms in Spring Creek from Bellefonte on upstream. I saw a couple at Fishermans Paradise this evening. But by a couple I mean literally two. I've never seen significant numbers above Bellefonte.

Greg Hoover told me several years ago that he found grannom larvae as far up as Rock Road (above Benner Springs), but not in large numbers.

The main reason there are far more Grannoms below Bellefonte than above, IMHO, is the large volume of spring water coming in from Logan Branch and the Big Spring.

Someone told me on Saturday that the Grannoms were on in lower Spring Creek. I fished it Sunday and the hatch was good. A friend of mine fished it today and said the hatch was very sparse today.

Since they've started here, they're probably starting on other streams, too. Or will be very, very soon.

OK, now yinz can tell us where Grannoms, or other good hatches, are hatching in the southern half of the state.

:)

Back