Grannom Caddis

3wt7X

3wt7X

I have heard about the spectacular Grannom Caddis hatch that is soon to occur on the Little Juniata. Being the inexperienced angler/fly tyer that I am, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for matching the Grannom Caddis hatch. Does a simple elk hair caddis in the appropriate size and color suffice, or do the Grannoms require a more subtle profile? Any input would be appreciated.

I haven't fished the grannoms on the LJ. This pattern I was told that I tied would work. Also a wet with a peacock body I heard works good.
QsoFFOPkQyoFZFwscB8LIA
[/url][/img]

The simple elk hair will work wherever there are grannoms.

Here's a pattern I've used in PA, WI and Iowa over these bugs that works as good as anything on top:

Size 16 dry fly hook. Black thread.

Body: rabbit or beaver fur dubbed thin to moderate, a very dk brown to black, I usually blend this with my fingers to mottle it a little. More black than brown.

wing: downwing of dark elk or dark deer hair.

hackle: dark dun palmered or as a collar in front of body. One way is as good as the other, IMO.

Make some with the green butt (as pictured above), but make more with the all dark body. This latter is a good searching fly all season.

Pop or twitch it a little on the water now and then when you fish it.

All that said, on streams like the Little J and probably Big Fishing Creek as well, you'll probably catch more fish on a pupa dead drifted, swung or stripped through the runs. There are all kinds of pupa patterns out there but a simple one that works pretty well is simpy a peacock-bodied wet with a turn or two of starling or dark dun hen hackle.

3WT7X,
I'll second the recommendations to use a standard deer or elk hair caddis - keep 'em dark colored and on the sparse side. I'm already starting to see some Grannoms around here (although not heavy). They've been on Yellow Breeches for over a week and I saw a few again today. The black stoneflies are also very active right now in the Cumberland Valley. I did well today on both the Breeches and Big Spring Creek on stoneflies. The fish want 'em skittering across the surface.

I've had my best success simply using a sz 16 black bodied elk hair caddis. My normal routine is to float it down several times to a rising fish, if no take then a few twitches usually seals the deal. Or pull the fly underwater and a few short strips will ge them to strike. After a couple days of serious grannom hatching, in the evenings, then a fly similar to the pic above with the egg sac will work well.
John

Back