GPS Fishing Guide

"Is that a pony tail under your hat or a shadow?"

It is just very long shoulder length hair. Like this guy. Look at the ancient Thompson cast iron fly tying vise. It didn't even have a cam lever to tighten the hook in the jaws. I had to turn a large cast iron knob to draw the jaws reaward to tighten the hook between the vise jaws.

Attachments

• Hippie in Minneapolis.jpg
    Hippie in Minneapolis.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 4
My how things have changed, it's amazing how tools and equipment have evolved over the years. I was always a big map person, still am to find the little blue line creeks, but once located I'm all about Gps to get me there.

To me, the advances in technology are really about giving me time. Time is the one thing you can't get more of. You can just spend it in different ways. The pace of life is such that there will never be enough and it keeps getting faster.

If I can use technology to redirect the time I spend from researching new places to fish or driving around using gas exploring to actually fishing new places, that is a true advance to me.

My vision of the future and the goal for my company is that you have available every map you ever needed or wanted with every customization you might want for your lifestyle on one map in electronic form on a flatscreen device.

You can pan and zoom in or out to see whatever area or detail you may desire. The map displays your current location and then lets you look at what's near you that fits your lifestyle. If you don't know where you are, a map is useless anyway. Think of panning and zooming the screen as replacing unfolding maps or picking up different maps to display different information or scales of detail.

I tried once carrying around a complete set of USGS topographic maps for the US in my car but it was so full I couldn't fit my fishing gear in the car. (Just kidding to make the point) Now I have them all in the palm of my hand.

Notice I don't mention the word, "smartphone." Who coined that phrase anyway? It's the **** Tracy watch we older guys dreamed about as a kid reading the comics!

It is about time- and convenience. Last weekend I found myself in an unfamiliar place- Lancaster County, with only a couple hours to fish. No maps with me, only a smartphone. I could have spent time trying to research locations on my tiny phone screen, or just click a few buttons and instantly get navigation to a FF only stream.

There are always multiple ways in accomplishing what you desire. For me, I would rather spend that extra time fishing and $30 is a reasonable price for it. It is the same argument for all technological devices/advancement- is the convenience worth the price? There will always be opinions on both sides of the fence.

I tried once carrying around a complete set of USGS topographic maps for the US in my car but it was so full I couldn't fit my fishing gear in the car. (Just kidding to make the point) Now I have them all in the palm of my hand.

Yeah, that was my family. I remember when I STARTED fishing at 6 or 7 years old, having to clear space for me to sit, as the backseat of the fishing vehicle was just stacks of maps.

The funny thing is, it's probably not any quicker to use the computer. I likely spend just as much time "researching" as I would with paper maps. I enjoy that aspect of it, and you spend what time you got doing it. The research is likely more effective, though (do more in the same amount of time, rather than do the same in less time). And it's easier. When going on an extended trip, you grab the laptop and a GPS and go. What's quicker is that you don't have to sort through all those maps to find the one you want.

I like phone apps, satellite maps, lidar laser-elevation maps, my garmin etrex with detailed topo, and all the rest, but it's kinda nice that even when you have a computer display the class A & nat repro streams, you dont really know what you'll find. Some streams not on the natural reproduction list do have fish, and some listed class A brookie streams .. I hate to to say this ... have been taken over by brown trout!

pcray1231 wrote:
...I likely spend just as much time "researching" as I would with paper maps. I enjoy that aspect of it, and you spend what time you got doing it...

Being on the water can be just a part of the rewards of fishing and the research can be just as much a part of the experience. It's really all in what you love!

Believe me, I do a lot of research too and it is rewarding. You learn more than you can ever get from any single source. pcray - seeing some of what you gathered at the Newbie Jam, my hats off to you!

I've been looking real hard at this app and couldn't help but wonder can this really be as good as it looked on the site? I called and talked to Mike creator of this fine app. That sealed the deal for me,I've been playing with it for an hour or two (navigating and becoming familiar with it is a snap)and have come to the conclusion that it's better than that good. I'd love to tell you all about it but there's just too much to write. It will do all it says and more, if you live in Pa, like to fish, and have a device you can put this on I highly recommend it. For what you're getting with this app, it's well worth the small price to get it. I've got over 200 albums on my phone, why not have 5000 streams on it too? :-D Thank you Mike, and good talking to you. Jack

Mike's a great guy and he's created a solid app. I haven't actually relied on it yet to find new waters, but it's very nice knowing that I could (and will!). I have, however, been using it to make my own notes on streams that I already know

The only thing I see missing is a hatch chart!! Haha looks like a great app definitely gonna purchase it!!

I'm with wbranch, but I am definitely in the minority. I see it as the instant gratification trend of America. It's more than a map thing, come on now guys. Be honest.

Show me where to go now, screw the line .... me 1st, fast foodification, twiiter til I puke, get what you deserve, not what you earn. Our society is evolving and this is a small but meaningful sign that even how me chose where to fish is a reflection of.

I'm a paper guy. I like books, magazines, catalogs, maps, and it sounds crazy but I keep paper files of my bills and work stuff too.

Who knows, in 50 yrs, paper will be banned and computer/phone apps will be the only thing around.

To each is own. If your GPS gives you coordinates where I'm at, don't low/high hole me and it's all good.

Back