GPS Fishing Guide

V

Valiantly

Another member recently mentioned it....what is it?

It's an app you can buy for your smartphone or a preloaded sd card for your gps both 59 bucks. Or a 20 dollar map. It shows you bass and trout waters. The phone app also does 7 other species. It shows llocations as well as creel limits for species. And bass and trout waters it tells you if they big bass program waters or wild trout waters, all the various programs

Looks to be 25 on the Iphone...the only upside over the free maps you can get from the PA Fish and Boat is "List Closest Fishing". Other than than, its all free information for the most part

It may be all "Free Information", but the developer has done a decent job of making it easy to access on your GPS (have not seen the smart phone app). Plus, he provides updated information. It is also easier to navigate than the PFBC website.

I consider it worth the $30 charge for the Garmin chip.

I have the app on my phone and live by it since I travel for work it covers the whole state and every species living in the state and uses the gps in your phone to find nearest locals

I have the GPS version it rocks

I have the iPhone app and love it. It's on my iPad also. Sure you can use free maps but this is with me all the time and very handy.

There is a sponsor link on the right side of this webpage. It's the bottom link right above the vote.

It's a very cool thing that just doesn't "fit" me yet, but certainly on the right track!

I have no smartphone. I have a car Garmin GPS but they don't have the natural repro list on this app for the Garmin's. I have little interest in the other lists, pretty much have most of that info memorized or otherwise easily available at all times.

Yes, it's data that's available for free online for computer users, and I use it all the time. You're paying for the convenience of putting it on your phone or GPS unit.

That said, a smartphone probably isn't all that far in my future, and absolutely, when I make that jump I almost certainly will buy this thing.

Go to the Gear Talk section of PAFF and review any posts by UMFGuy. Great products imo.

You'll also find lots of current discussions and updates on product development on the Shop Talk forum. I post there regularly. Feel free to ask any specific questions there!

You'll also find lots of current discussions and updates on product development on the Shop Talk forum. I post there regularly. Feel free to ask any specific questions there!

Man, oh man, what would all you guys do without the Internet and smart phones, and app this and app that? You'd probably not be fishing because you couldn't find your way to the creek. Maybe because I'm an old guy I just can't see the need for a smart phone. I'm pretty smart without one. I don't think I want to be much smarter. I have a computer at home why do I need one in my pocket?

Yea, I know I do use the computer to chat about fishing with others of the same interests but back in the day you found new waters by driving all over the countryside in the summer after the fishing slowed down due to low and warm water.

Now it's just too easy to get onto the computer and log onto some forum and look at where guys are having good success and just drive there. Set the GPS and turn the car onto cruise and away we go.

I'm not even ranting here I'm just saying it was fun to locate new sections of rivers I was fishing or find entirely new streams that had great fishing. It was kind of an adventure and we would drive around and check out this stream or that pool and get our stuff on and go out and see if we could catch any trout.

Now you can explore many more streams than you could "in the good old days." It's the same, just different.

Now you can explore many more streams than you could "in the good old days." It's the same, just different.

Not at all. You can merely increase your chances of hitting the good ones and avoiding the duds.

I don't know of anyone who "just drove around". Christ, from my dad and grandpa, I have stacks and stacks of the old paper USGS topo maps, and they're all marked up. They were map geeks too in those days. It's just that now you can pull up those maps, or even better ones, for anywhere in the state on the computer/smartphone, and overlay which streams are class A, have natural repro, get stocked, etc. You still gotta go try em out, and you still get gems and duds. But perhaps you can do your research a little quicker, and still be a little more likely to find the gems rather than the duds.

Jack,

"It's the same, just different." Your a funny guy! It ain't the same but that's okay with me. I figure you young guys might need a little more help 'cause everything is so easy for you today. HeHe. Heck, I remember when Gladding used to sell tippet spools in various color holders so you could tell the difference between break strengths. Would you believe 6X had a break strength of 1.2# and 7X had a break strength of .6# That's the truth, no BS. I used to feel like a million bucks when I landed a 18" Montana trout on 6X.

pcray1231,

"I don't know of anyone who "just drove around". Well I did. I can vividly remember driving over the mountain from Roscoe to Pepacton looking for little creeks to fish or driving all along the old road beds of the lower EB and searching all along the main stem on rural roads looking for access.

That is how I found many of my favorite sections of the main stem. Look at a road map, see if there were any roads near the river, find a farmer and ask permission if I could park, or drive, onto his property to access the river.

Here is a picture of me and the rig I had back in the days when I would go hunting for new waters.

Attachments

• My weekend home.jpg
    My weekend home.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 6
Groovy carriage, man.

Is that a pony tail under your hat or a shadow? Livin the 60's/70's love it. :pint: Here's to ya.

Jack,

I drove it out to MT three times. I drove out by myself all three times because I was going to be out for three months. I used to leave around June 01 and would return Labor Day. That was a great time and I've got lots of awesome memories.

I fished many of the "blue ribbon" rivers before the crunch of the late 1970's. You could fish all day and maybe see a handful of guys fishing. Fished the Madison in, and out, of YNP. Fished the Beaverhead, Big Hole, Henry's Fork, Gallatin, Firehole, Gibbon, and dozens more. It's hard even for me to believe but I fished Armstrong Spring Creek when it was free and sponsored by some local businesses including Dan Bailey's and a beer company called Lucky Star (or sometging like that) I fished it day after day for weeks at a time. When I got bored of catching wild rising trout HaHa I'd drive over to Dillon or Belgrade to fish some really tough spring creeks over there.

The VW had a two burner propane stove, a small refrigerator, a small sink & a 5 gallon tank for fresh water and a cabin heater for cool nights. I put in a Porta-Potti. My "cruise control" was a brick laid down onto the gas pedal after I got it up to 50 mph. I used to keep a little cooler on the front seat and only stop to put gas into the tank and then take off again. I think I was 25 years old on my first trip.

wbranch wrote:
Man, oh man, what would all you guys do without the Internet and smart phones, and app this and app that? You'd probably not be fishing because you couldn't find your way to the creek. Maybe because I'm an old guy I just can't see the need for a smart phone. I'm pretty smart without one. I don't think I want to be much smarter. I have a computer at home why do I need one in my pocket?

Yea, I know I do use the computer to chat about fishing with others of the same interests but back in the day you found new waters by driving all over the countryside in the summer after the fishing slowed down due to low and warm water.

Now it's just too easy to get onto the computer and log onto some forum and look at where guys are having good success and just drive there. Set the GPS and turn the car onto cruise and away we go.

I'm not even ranting here I'm just saying it was fun to locate new sections of rivers I was fishing or find entirely new streams that had great fishing. It was kind of an adventure and we would drive around and check out this stream or that pool and get our stuff on and go out and see if we could catch any trout.

Sounds like a rant to me :)

Technology evolves and those that learn how to use it may gain an upper hand in whatever they apply it to. The "smart" in smartphone doesn't apply so much to the person holding the phone, but the ability of the device to be able to do more than make a phone call. Dumb people can own smartphones; some smart people own dumb phones. I certainly hope that when you got in your vehicle and just drove around that it was a horse and buggy, because otherwise you'd be using a "smart" vehicle (which your VW appears to be). And you mentioned using a map - thats progress when it comes to navigating (better than just using the stars and having to only travel at night), just like using a smartphone can be progress over using a paper map. And I'm assuming you used a fly rod, reel and line, not a stick with some natural hemp for line.. Progress need not be feared, you se..

For the OP, the app you asked about has been covered. There are also many more useful apps that you can get for a phone that can help you make better informed fishing decisions - river flow levels aggregated from the USGS, free mapping apps, sunrise/sunset times, weather, knots, journals (for tracking trips, water temps, weather, location, etc.), fish loggers, etc.

"Sounds like a rant to me"

Well if it a rant it is with a smile on my face and hoping you all have one too.

"And you mentioned using a map" I was wondering if anyone would be observant and pick up on that and call me out on it.

"And I'm assuming you used a fly rod, reel and line, not a stick with some natural hemp for line.. "

Well if the truth be told I was using a lancewood rod, with my newest model Vom Hofe winch, braided horse hair line and the best silk gut money could buy. Theo had tied me some lovely snelled wet flies for our excursion to the Beaverkill to load up with a few hundred native speckled trout.

Back