GPS Fishing Guide For PA

Thanks to all who purchased the GPS Fishing Guide for their phones or Garmin. I was the guy who showed the card at the FF show last year so you are talking about the same product.

I appreciate all of your suggestions. I have had several requests for the ability to drop pins and add notes within the app and will be looking at that option for the next revision but I can't promise anything at this point.

The Naturally reproducing streams are a tough one although I'll explore the subject. I need to be very careful to maintain a good working relationship with PFBC's fisheries biologists as they share information that is not generally available to aid me in preparing the Guide. I have to be very careful not to step on their toes.

Discounts for PAFF members are difficult as neither Google Play nor Apple's App Store support any kind of discounts. When I offered the sale in late March, I received complaints from those who paid full price so it's always difficult to judge the right move with pricing.

I have yet to make enough money to cover my initial investment in this venture and need the support of customers in getting the word out to continue future development. Nobody said starting a business in the worst economic environment since the Great Depression would be easy but I am committed.

Again, thanks to all who have purchased this app.

I received the email below today from a customer who purchased the GPS for Garmin last year and got his 2012 update. I think this says it all. He gave me permission to share the message.

Mike,

I was sitting in a restaurant in Lancaster County and I opened up the GPS fishing guide to ask where the nearest fishing place was. It notified me that I was 450 yards from the nearest trout stream. Right behind the restaurant I could see the cover bridge which was on the Little Conestoga. I use your fishing guide everywhere I travel. it has put me onto more streams and fishing spots than I could have ever found on my own. I tell everyone that I meet on the streams about your guide and give them the information on where to purchase one. It has truly changed my fishing experience.

Sincerely,

Greg W

I just posted a coupon for PAFF Members.

THE GPS show at BCTU last month was cancelled at the last minute !!!!
Said he had another engagement he forgot about !!!!!!!!

Was getting ready to make the purchase and trashed my GPS when it slid off the dash.

Dang!

My appologies to all the Bucks County TU members for having to cancel. I pulled a bozo move and double booked myself. As a one-man-band, it gets crazy sometimes juggling all I have going on and I made a stupid mistake.

I live in Bucks County and I am actually hoping I can join the Chapter if you are willing to have me.

Of course you can join
I was just busting on you ,no intention of bad mouthing
get in touch with our president ,maybe he can reschedule you

don't join you'll have to put up with loum and beadhead2 !!!!!!!!!

I have had it for about 1 1/2 years now. It is great for a) finding creeks around your area you did not know about and b) finding creeks in areas of PA that you are unfamiliar with but happen to be traveling in. It also take you close to access points for the streams.

I have the Garmin version so no iPhone reception issues.

I'll get in touch with the President. When and where are your meetings? I've been a little crazy with development. I'm building a GPS Gamelands Guide under contract for the PA Game Commission for iPhone and Android. I did have some nice fishing on the upper reaches of both the Perk and Saucon lately. Plentiful "Class A" Browns on very small streams. It's challenging fishing with low overhanging trees so think small on your gear if you explore them.

UFM
Here is the link for BCTU
http://www.buckstu.org/
I am not sure whether we are having a meeting this month (July) or not ,I know we do not have one in August

billfrech wrote:
I have had it for about 1 1/2 years now. It is great for a) finding creeks around your area you did not know about and b) finding creeks in areas of PA that you are unfamiliar with but happen to be traveling in. It also take you close to access points for the streams.

I have the Garmin version so no iPhone reception issues.

This has been my experience over a 1.5 year period as well. I have the card installed in a Garmin unit. Often I travel throughout PA in areas that I have never been. When I have time to fish I will leave the program on hit random streams. It's pretty cool. I am not sure how valuable the updates would be as the only thing that is really going to change from year to year is the occasional special reg change and/or addition/deletion of a few class a.

sandfly wrote:
bring that smart phone up here and see if it works every where. delorme topo 9.0 for lap top..

That smart phone may be a bit smarter than you, see it has a fancy device in it that uses Global Positioning Satellites to determine its location and is not dependent upon cell phone service.

Jdaddy wrote:
That smart phone may be a bit smarter than you, see it has a fancy device in it that uses Global Positioning Satellites to determine its location and is not dependent upon cell phone service.
there are places here you can not get gps signals...

GPS is worldwide. You can get it in Siberia or Antarctica as easily as in a city. Perhaps easier.

In the Pine Creek Valley, I can verify that both my handheld and my car GPS do indeed work just fine.

Canyons will degrade signals, though. As can skyscrapers in cities. It might take a better antenna or something, or you may have a lower accuracy fix. Ultimately, I never cared whether it was accurate to 3 ft or 10 ft.

I have noticed that with my oldest handheld, it would go out even in the forest, the freakin foilage blocked the signal, which rendered it about useless in PA IMO. With my semi-newer one, with the better antenna, that's not a problem.

I drove thru the Lehigh Tunnel a few weeks ago and my Garnin NEVER lost signal. I've had the GPS Fishing Guide for just about 2 months now and I haven't fished the same water twice since. Some better than others but I had a blast every time out.

Placed my order and received and email saying the chip is in the mail. :)

Will post thoughts after I have a chance to try it out.

any more reviews or opinions about this application? Pros and cons would be welcomed.

I just got the iPhone version about an hour ago. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Jim

Back