Gotta Love Summer!

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So I posted a report from last weekend fishing a warm water stream I had never fished before. My brother and I got into some decent smallies and more sunfish than we could count.

I went to the same stream yesterday and did some exploring. I have lived 20 minutes from this stream for 17 years, and I can't believe I didn't know about it. I got into a few more smallies, two in the 12-13 inch range.

This stream is like a dream. For about a mile and a half, it transitions from riffle, to deep pool...riffle to deep pool. Fishing the heads of the pools proved to be very successful. The smallies were looking up AND taking streamers. And I'm sure I could have topped out at 100 sunfish if I just pounded the banks with a popper.

I used two flies all day...a Betts popper and my version of a Clouser swimming nymph in Olive...really buggy looking. I'm going to tie up a bunch more in differnt colors for this weekend. I am heading up to Central PA to fish the Frankstown branch with my brother.

Nice to hear Steve. It's long been my opinion that small, local warm water creeks are way overlooked by FFers. During the summer, I spend a lot of evenings or mornings before work playing around with sunnies and small bass. It's rare to see other fishermen (sometimes some local kids) and the catching is often fast and furious. Pity the poor fellas who pine for their times when they can get away for multi hour long drives to get to trout streams when there's often great fishing fun in the local "crik" just a few minutes away.

Good luck on the Frankstown Branch. I haven't fished it yet this year. Let us know how you guys do. I've always had the most action using Clouser Minnows, Crayfish patterns and quite a bit of fun using poppers.

If you guys get a chance, stop in the Spruce Creek Outfitters fly shop on your way thru the town of Spruce creek. Its right on the Little Juniata. He's a great guy and has plenty of great patterns for trout and Smallies. As I've mentioned before, thats the only shop in the area that I deal with. I've been in the others, but have had questionable experiences at best with them. Thats a story for another post I guess. LOL

Jay

Back