Got skunked without even putting my line in the water

G

Greenhorn

I went from the usual Linn Run State Park to a creek out of the middle of nowhere: South Fork Mill Creek. One of the shooters at the gun range told me that you had to follow the left gated road and then turn left on a trail and follow it until you get to a bridge. I went past the falls there, but I didn't ever see a bridge nor fish in the pools: Couldn't really tell, the stream was screaming. Did I not go far enough, how much farther did I have to go? Was I just a fool and there were in fact fish in those pools like the pools at the falls. I stopped because the trail seemed like it was diverging from the creek. Recommendations for small, wild trout streams where I can fish unpressured, easy fish on my Tenkara rod (I have taken up Tenkara. Caught my first trout on flies recently.)

Last edited:
All the branches of Mill Creek are great. Don’t cross the bridge up from the shooting range unless you want to hike over the mountain. Just followthe stream. Shooting range Is usually busy

All the branches of Mill Creek are great. Don’t cross the bridge up from the shooting range unless you want to hike over the mountain. Just followthe stream. Shooting range Is usually busy
Thanks for the info. I never crossed a bridge though except for a very small stone structure? Is the bridge wooden?

So I was doing something wrong? What did I do wrong? I have never seen a bridge.

In the gamelands I park in the big lot along kissel springs road and walk the dirt road, past the gun range, until the SF creek crosses the road and fish the tumbles down to the reservoir. Keep alert as I have heard a few bullets from the range whistle by during the walk. Do not walk through the Nettles along the creek in shorts or you'll need quick swim.

In the gamelands I park in the big lot along kissel springs road and walk the dirt road, past the gun range, until the SF creek crosses the road and fish the tumbles down to the reservoir. Keep alert as I have heard a few bullets from the range whistle by during the walk. Do not walk through the Nettles along the creek in shorts or you'll need quick swim.
I know you can't fish in the reservoir, but are there fish in it?

What direction? The road that goes straight with the gun range road, or the road that turns to the left???

If people know about “unpressured streams” they probably want to keep them that way by not telling others 😂.

All kidding aside, that area is know to locals as a Big Foot Hotspot (seriously). When my wife and I hike that area, I must admit to an eerie presence.

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack, just thought an interesting side-note to that stream.

All kidding aside, that area is know to locals as a Big Foot Hotspot (seriously). When my wife and I hike that area, I must admit to an eerie presence.
The game lands above Laughlintown? 🤔

Only eerie sound I ever experienced was the bullets whizzing over my head as I walked down the road. So much logging going on I rarely see game let alone a Squatch. Watches some young raccoons washing up for dinner one evening. If I was one of those crazy conspiracy guys I could think of a lot of better places to look for a upright Orangutan.

Not to question you, but I’ve been in the area for years and never had an issue with stray bullets - the range has very high earthen back-stands or witnessed “logging”. They have thinned some areas to improve the Grouse habitat. I’ve been part of that noble effort. Funny, one of Westmoreland’s largest bears this year was taken yards from the range.

But you did...I guess it depends on what yokel is there at the time. Cool about the bear though.

Back