Good Small Stream Rod

pcray1231 wrote:
steve, I do a LOT of roll casting dry flies on small streams.

Outsider, definitely interested. What you looking for ($$$ or trade?). Where you located?

PM me for my phone number. Havn't put much thought into the $value. I'm always looking for rods (on the small and slower action side) and reels to trade for. Located in Berks County.

pcray1231 wrote:
steve, I do a LOT of roll casting dry flies on small streams.

yep, me to. roll cast, bow and arrow, dabbing(dappling?), whatever it takes to get a bug to where the fish is.

The rod I use the most for small streams is my 4 WT Orvis Silver Label 6'6" full flex. Works great for small drys and shorts casts. Gets tricky when you try to toss a nymph/indicator rig though.

My favorite is a 6’3” 4 wt. But also fish a 4’, 4’10", 5', 5’8” and 5’10” (3, 4 and 5 wt).

Joe E

I have two small stream rods that I use for different situations.

My newest rod, a Tfo 7'3" 2 weight finesse, is great for casting small flies, foam ants, beetles, even bead head nymphs. However anything larger than say, a size 14 with a bead or weighted becomes challenging to roll cast.

I really like the rod and it being a 4 piece makes it very easy to pack for a hike. It has it's limitations but it really puts a lot of fight into an 8 - 12 inch wild trout. I will say it can cast some considerable distance with small flies and nymphs.

My other small stream rod is a White River 7' 5 weight, which honestly, I could fish anywhere. The thing will cast practically any size or weight fly, nymph or streamer you would want to use on a small or large trout stream. And casts seriously far for a 7' rod. The thing I really like most about it is that it really shines when your standing along a stream surrounded by brush and half stuck in jagger bushes with thorns sticking in your thigh. You can easily flip the rod in the tightest of spaces and roll cast easily with the heavy line.

The two weight in my opinion is the most fun, but my 7' 5 weight rod is a serious tool when you get into the thick stuff.

Back