Good Small Stream Rod

Way back when, I owned 2 Fenwick Feralite fiberglass rods. One of them was the FF60 6 footer. One day in January or February I drove to State College to fish Fisherman's Paradise. It was 22 degrees when we drove through State College, but it warmed up to about 38 degrees in the afternoon. I caught a lot of fish on midges that day with the Fenwick. So many fish, that other fisherman were asking "what are you using?". When I told them midges, they said "what the heck are midges?" Not many people used them or knew what they were at that time. Wish I still owned that rod.

How about a 5'9 glass rod. Good for small streams? I don't know what else I will use the damn thing for.

SBecker wrote:
How about a 5'9 glass rod. Good for small streams? I don't know what else I will use the damn thing for.

Yes, you will actually feel the fight of a small brookie. If you want to get rid of it, pm me.

Lol outsider I will keep you in mind. I have not even cast it yet. If I hate it once I do, you will be receiving a PM :)

I have a 6'6" and a 6'0" that I built from FH Paddock glass blanks, both are wonderful little rods that bring a smile to my face with every cast and they really let little brookies and such show off. they cast a 3 or 4 equally well, jsut depends on the situation and the stream what line I use with what rod.
I also built up a yellow mcfarland glass, 7'6" 4wt that just might be my favorite rod I've ever cast.
on the other end of the glass specturm, at times I fish a 6'0" solid glass montague I got at a flea market for 5 bucks and redid. it casts a 5 wt line pretty nicely and is better for streamers and heavier bugs.
all in all, find what rod YOU enjoy casting and can cast well with. graphite, glass, bamboo, they are all fun to fish with!

I said on page one I think that I use a 6' Phillipson 5/6 weight. I load it w/ 6 weight and I LOVE it for brookie streams! Flick of the wrist, baby! That line shoots like gangsta! GANGSTA, SON!

Quote:

flyflinger7 wrote:
I use a TFO Finesse 7'9" 3wt with an Allen Alpha 3/4.

How do you like the rod?

Outsider,

I like the rod, it is my dry fly set up for small and medium sized streams. Looking to get a 8' 9" in a 5# for larger streams.

If anyone is interested, I have a vintage Orvis graphite 7 ft 5 weight rod (early 70's) that I will sell or trade. This is a fast rod, weighs 1 5/8 ounces, and has a cork reel seat with sliding bands.

It is a very durable rod. If you catch a branch with your backcast, the tree would probably come down before the rod would break. You can sling heavy artillery with this rod, or use it to pole vault a small stream if you forget your waders. PM me if interested.

What size reel and line should I put on my 5'9 CGR? Obviously, a medalist what number should I be looking for? Kind of silk line?

a medalist 1492 is the smallest they only come right hand retrieve, but the line guard can be removed and the spring/pawl tweeked to make it left hand. hell, might not even have to tweek anything, can't remember if what I did to mine.
what line is the rod rated for? with glass, you can try one above or below the rating, if you can try some different wts that would be the best bet. also, WF and DT can make differences as well. I like a DT on my small stream rods, a little better for roll casting.

Thanks Biker.

SBecker wrote:
What size reel and line should I put on my 5'9 CGR? Obviously, a medalist what number should I be looking for? Kind of silk line?

A rod an reel should balance, so I would suggest you use a small reel. The down side of small reels is line memory. Some guys I know buy a double tapered line and cut it in half, then fill in the reel as required with backing. Two lines for the price of one. Store the unused line in large coils to prevent memory.

Can't help you with the silk line, never used one.

SBecker wrote:

Do you really want to mess with silk? I have a few of the Cortland Sylk lines and really like them for fiberglass and bamboo. They are thin and have low/no memory even in the cold. On this rod, a 3wt DT would likely be the best choice.

The CGR is a fiberglass rod. Tis the reason I thought about going old skool.

SBecker wrote:
The CGR is a fiberglass rod. Tis the reason I thought about going old skool.
Yeah, I know. But silk is a real pain to maintain. I'm a big fan of old school and I seriously considered silk, but I have my limits.
Here is a link on the care of silk lines:
http://www.silkflylines.com/index.php?care
And from what I have read these are about the best you can find today (they will cost more than your rod):
http://www.phoenixlines.com/

Are you going with gut leaders too?

Was thinking of useing a furled leader with the hair of my wife. Lol

Got a 7'-6" 3wt on the way I'll let ya know how it works out.

6'6'' 2 wt. rainshadow rx7... throws plenty of line and I never have to roll cast as I always fish dries. As long as you can find a lane and stay in it, you're golden.

my buddy has a 5ft 1wt. and I think it's pure junk. His lefty kreigh sig. series 7'6 2wt is bullets though.

I don't always use one, but if the water is up, furled leaders spit nails for small freestoners.

I don't see how fishing with anything above a 3 wt for small streams would be fun, but this is coming from a guy who throws a 6 wt. on medium to large streams from midges to raunchy streamers; quite paradoxical. I'm a long leader guy and the 6wt. gives me more comfort in casting 10 ft. leaders.

Any cast the new Bean "Pocket Water"?
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73164?feat=506543-GN2&attrValue_0=Brown

steve, I do a LOT of roll casting dry flies on small streams.

Outsider, definitely interested. What you looking for ($$$ or trade?). Where you located?

Back