good selection of Dry Flies

Take it from someone else new to the sport, this isn't a machine. It's nature. You can be as prepared as possible with every type of fly in your collection and still be missing something.
I tried exactly what you're doing earlier in the season, but it was to no avail. I bought all these flies that basically sit in my fly box because I was throwing sulphurs every night for a month. Then I started nymphing, and I barely touch the dries.
Don't spend the time and money buying all these flies and end up like me and watch them collect dust in your box.

True story, I haven't had to buy any flies for the past couple weeks, so I thought I'd be good for the rest of the season. I hit the Little Juniata last Friday, and white flies were coming off and I had nothing compared to it.

So just take it day by day, week by week. Until you find out where you're headed in this sport, you can't really jump the gun or you'll be wasting your time and money.

Suppose it depends on where you plan of fishing- might run into Slate Drakes or Olives in the fall. Probably the next hatches on deck. I like to fish wets or more specifically soft hackles for those hatches. Cooler, rainy days are good.

steve,
how long did it take you to type all that?

I wouldn't bother with the Royal Coachman and the Royal Wulff. The Wulff floats forever, is easy to gink up, and its wings will last unlike the quill slip wings of the Coachman which'll end up looking like junk after you use it.

The fly I think that no one should ever be without is the Usual. Cheap as dirt to make, hook, thread, and a snowshoe rabbit foot. You'll churn 'em out, they tie to all sorts of sizes, float like stink, gink like a mother, and generally look buggier than a three armed midget.

I believe the original pattern called for cream bunny and orange thread, but you can use any variation you want. Brown, black, dun etc fur over any thread. Mix and match fur, etc.

I am proud to announce that Steve took his first trout today, a nice little wild bow on Falling Springs none the less. We narrowed down the fly list quite a bit, reviewed the nymph line up and got him lined up the a good fly tier who can get some great high quality flys for the region (clearly not me!).

YEA!!!! STEVE!!!!

Gratz on your first fish!!!

Thanks jdaddy for your time. It was a good day and i got to see some new spots to float and sink some flies. Amazing how many spots are so close to my area. Let me know if your going to be in the area for fishing

You are in the heart of it! If you can regularly catch fish on some of those streams around there, you can catch them anywhere in the country.

BTW, the new Eastern Fly Fishing magazine has a nice article on none other than Falling Spring Branch where you caught your first trout! Check it out. The gentleman I recommended for your fly purchases has one of his patterns in the article, as well as contributing to the overall article.

Back