Good luck Pheasant hunters!

While there are certainly more raptors, foxes and coyotes than before, I don't think they are the reason for the very rapid decline in the pheasant population (although they're sure effective at nabbing the newly stocked birds). The fact that the pheasant population crashed so quickly and completely leads me to think it's disease. Predators alone could not have wiped them out so fast. Nor did the state lose so much habitat so quickly as to cause this. Predators have increased in the mid-west also and their pheasant populations are still pretty good. My theory (for what it's worth) is that the Avian Flu that spread across the state in the mid 80s somehow crippled the pheasant population. Wild birds have been unable for some reason to re-populate. I do believe that predators may have something to do with this. The stocked birds lacked the wildness, and probably the genes, to survive. I don't know what the solution is but am cautiously optimistic that birds trapped in the mid-west and released in PA may have a decent, but probably slow, chance of restoring our pheasants - although I doubt we'll ever see the number of birds as we used to have. I'd also like to see a moratorium on pheasant hunting in PA - at least for wild birds. We could still hunt the SGLs for stocked birds but in areas where wild ones are re-populating I'd like to see 'em left alone for a few years.

I'm Baack!!!! Been away from the computer for awhile.

Good old pheasant hunting, I got my two on first day without a dog. Haven't seen a wild pheasant in about three years in Westmoreland county. IMHO it's from everything stated above and habitat decline(too many new homes on old farms!!!!)! If your wondering how I limited out on birds, well I hunt with a small group of freinds and we stock some birds on a small farm. It has become a tradition for us to stock our own birds, We stock them, hunt them, have a BIG lunch, then hunt them again. Average stocking is about 25 birds on an 80-acre farm. It's a good time.

Does anyone keep anything other than the tail feathers on there haversted birds?
JH

HA!!!!!

CHICAGO (AFP) - A pack of hunting dogs shot an Iowa man as he went to retrieve a fallen pheasant, authorities said.

ADVERTISEMENT

James Harris, 37, was shot in the leg while hunting with some friends on Saturday afternoon.

The group shot a bird which landed on the other side of a fence, the Iowa Department of Natural Resource said in a press release.

"Harris reportedly went to retrieve the bird, placed his gun on the ground and crossed the fence near the muzzle end," the press release said.

"When he crossed the fence, hunting dogs stepped on the gun, which discharged and struck Harris in the left calf at a distance of roughly three feet."

Harris was treated at a regional medical center and later transported by helicopter to an Iowa City hospital.

I can hear the cheers from the PETA fools right now.

I fishing the Delaware River a few years ago, and doing quite well that day. I was fishing a dry with a nymph on a 4’ dropper. I just caught and released a fish when I reached to pick up my dry fly to dry it off. As soon as I touched the fly……wham! A 16” rainbow set the hook and drove it into the palm of my hand. A bloody tug of war ensued, complete with several aerial displays from both combatants. Eventually I won the battle, but I was the one worse for wear. The tables were sure turned that day. The fish catching the fisherman would surely make the PETA folks happy. True story.

I was hooked by a fish once too. I had a feisty spanish mackerel with the front treble hook on a dual treble plug in him. As I approached to grab him, he flopped about a foot in the air and put the rear treble THROUGH my hand. Right through the meaty part of my hand between the thumb and forefinger. I think he planned it.

I guess PETA would've cheered, but they wouldn't have liked the part where I essentially decapitated the fish with my bare hand while trying to get free. It was a hell of a mess. One mutilated fish, and a little pain later, and I'm no worse for the wear.

I have always been told that it is habitat habitat habitat. And look around the few farms that are left have no hedgerows and they clean farm right up to the edge of the highway. With that being said, there certainly has been an explosion of varmits that enjoy pheasant. On my cousins farm (in NC) he traps the daylites out of fox and bobcat and wouldn't ya know it but there has been a couple of coveys of quail reappearing. Regardless, the march of houses, strip malls, golf courses, big box and the resultant fescue desert will trump any habitat vs predator arguements. PA used to harvest 1 MILLION pheasants per year. We had 'em in the back yard and spring trout fishing (Valley Creek in SEPA) was filled with the spring ****bird raucous cry. You'd even hear quail occasionally. That's all been replaced by the cry of the jack hammer.

This season has been bittersweet so far, since my hunting companion of 7 years has been retired to the couch, Cedar Ridge Patch....what a dog...what a nose!! Took him to the vet a few weeks ago and the doc found some cancer in his testes. In addition the xray indicated an almost blown-out hip socket. He's recovered well, but the whole situation is incredibly sad. I still have his little sister, Candy, and she's a fine dog whose hunting pattern is nearly flawless: back and forth, never too far, just the right range.
I'm sure all you bird hunters know what I'm trying to say. There are certainly good dogs and great dogs, but Patch was truly exceptional.
Mark

I will agree that habitat is probably the number one reason why we don't have a wild population of pheasants. I must also say that the amount of birds I saw killed (ripped to pieces) prior to the season was ridiculous. I had the dogs out two days prior to season opening and saw at least 5 birds or I should say the remains of 5 birds.
The PGC stocks birds where predators are very prevalant in my area at least. The places that birds are stocked are also my favorite places to hunt coyotes and foxes. In fact about a half hour ago 01:30 (before the time change) I got home from hunting yotes. I went to places that I hunt birds and called in 5 coyotes. I also saw a freshly killed ****bird right where I sat to call. Needless to say I didn't kill any coyotes.
I really enjoy hunting grouse, basically to watch the dogs work because I certainly cannot hit them.

PS: DON"T FORGET TO CHANGE YOUR CLOCKS BACK!

Back