Gloves

P

Putyaonagurney

Hey guys, it's winter time, and I have no gloves. I'm looking for recommendations for really warm gloves that I can use for fishing, and also ones that I can use for pretty much everything not fishing related. What do you have, and do you like them?

Thanks!

I really like fingerless wool due to the fact wool remains warm when wet. I use the Simms gloves usually.

Wool or fleece. No need to buy anything expensive either. I have been using a pair of fingerless wool gloves I found at a hardware store for $5. I also have a pair of fleece gloves but I find the fleece to be too bulky and soft which makes it awkward when holding a rod.

Kev

Fingerless with wool and flaps to go over the fingers when NOT fishing. Don't get the fleece- lined, they don't dry out enough.

Two pairs are a must, it doesn't matter what the material is . When anything gets wet it freezes and your hands will get colder. Change out into the second pair you brought and it will extend your fishing day. My favorite is Buffalo wool but it's pricy so ask Santa for a pair. Fleece backed neopreme is probably the most affordable and always carry your hand warmer with you.

Attachments

• girls-fishing-500-43.jpg
    girls-fishing-500-43.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 5
I have a pair of these, mine are over ten years old so they're not this model takes getting used to fishing in gloves but not much.
http://glacierglove.com/our-products/fishing/pro-angler.html

I find it very uncomfortable to wear gloves while fishing. I generally keep a disposible hand warmer in each pocket and alternate my hands in the pocket to warm them up...

Bill A

Fingerless fleece. The trick is take them off when your hands go in the water to keep them dry. Dry is always warmer.

+1 to the fingerless wool with a flap.

I also have a muff that attaches to my waist and I can put my hands inside if I'm not wearing gloves. I put a hand warmer inside it. If I'm using the muff I don't even need gloves sometimes.

Of course the downside to any glove but particularly wool, is that they grab hooks. The type of thing that happens when you finally move a big fish after hours of fishing, before you can make the next cast.

I have been using Glacier Gloves for years. I have had several different styles. My current preference for "real cold" weather would be the fingerless ones I have shown. You can ring-out the material if it becomes soaked. They have a wind blocker membrane and wick dry fairly fast. When extreme conditions are encountered (snow, freezing rain, wind chill) I keep a back up pair with me and make sure I can easily access warm pockets. As shown in the photos...a net can help to avoid touching the water. Sticking your fingers into your scarf or hood can help you retain sensitivity.

I might try the bikini warmer option this year...

Attachments

• Glacier.jpg
    Glacier.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P3160149.JPG
    P3160149.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 5
  • P2200832.JPG
    P2200832.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 5
Has anyone had experience with the Kast Steelhead gloves? I'm intrigued.

http://www.deneki.com/2011/12/kast-steelhead-glove-review/

The Kast Gloves seemed like the best option I have seen. BUT I know I would end up punching a hole in them...

Just the same, I may invest in them anyway!

Definitely not neoprene.

Really, you dont like neoprene? I will wear my patagonia R1 gloves when steelheading. They are neoprene lined with merino wool. Obviously windproof/waterproof and decently warm. Most importantly, they are 1.5-2mm thick, so they retain alot of your dexterity. I suppose the only issue with them is if you are hot and your hands begin to sweat inside them. However, in this case I would probably be wearing my fingerless gloves if its that warm out, say 40 and above. 40 and below with inclement weather is time for the R1s.

Dear Board,

I've got fleece, ragg wool, and Glacier gloves and I like them all.

Regardless of which pair I am wearing I always try to remember to warm them up on the defroster vents on the ride to the stream. If I don't remember to do that my hands start out cool and get colder as they have to warm up the insulating space in the gloves. Sometimes they never get warm!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have a pair of fingerless gloves that are made from buffalo wool. They are really great. You can buy a pair from Buffalo Wool Co. at thebuffalowoolco.com

I read somewhere that if you keep your head warm, your fingers will be warm too. The theory being you lose most of the heat from your head, if your head is losing heat your body diverts blood to the head to keep the brain warm and your hands and feet will get cold. The take away here is keep your head warm and any gloves will do.

I'm going to try out these gloves I just picked up at Gander Mountain. SEIRUS Innovation brand. Label has BIG claims as the their performance. 100% waterproof. Cheaper than the kast steelhead by 30 bucks. Their website does not provide much info
( www.seirus.com )

Attachments

• IMG_4579.jpg
    IMG_4579.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 5
I have several pairs of fingerless rag wool gloves from FFP. They're like $7. They work great, the only issue is that hooks get caught in them easily.

I don't like the finger flaps. They make sense but I have short fingers and fat hands. My fingertips are too close to the end. When tying on knots and stuff, that flap always gets in the way.

I've tried more expensive fingerless gloves, but ultimately don't feel they work any better.

Fingerless is fine, just get em baggy enough that you can fit a handwarmer underneath with a little room to breathe.

Back