Glenwhite Run (Horseshoe Curve, Altoona, PA)

A legitimate question. A smart assed answer.

One of my old professors used to say, "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked."

Uncle Shorty's corollary to that quote is, "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

You have a bad day today, Jack?

Actually, I'm surprised at your snark. I'd thought better of you. Remember, you were a newbie once.

I had another old professor who told me that there are people who have to make others feel small so they can feel superior.

How do YOU feel today, Jack?

It's all good.

Was just put off guard by the smartest remarks from what I thought was a legitimate question.

Next time maybe I'll ask about tips on my casting, or maybe click and pawl vs. disc drag or something..

I have a question. I have always wondered whether I should put a 5 wt line on a 4 wt rod. Another thing I would like to know is if shuttles are available? These are two things that keep me awake at night.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
Why even bother replying just to be a smartass?

The more you post on this site, the more you'll learn not to take Jack too seriously. He's the unofficial site clown. Like the person described in the old Billy Joel song The Piano Man, " He's quick with a joke - or to light up your smoke"

As for your original question - I visited horseshoe curve once with my wife. And kinda wondered the same question. But I've never tried it

Here is your answer (below). A real shame, but on the mend. I doubt if any wild fish are present at this time, but perhaps in the future.

The Glennwhite Watershed (Horseshoe Curve) is one of the Altoona Water Authority’s largest watersheds (3,500 acres or 12.8 sq. miles). Nearly 40% of Altoona’s water supply originates from the Glennwhite watershed.

Unfortunately, it also is the most severely polluted. Acid mine drainage from past coal mining activities approximately 100 years ago has degraded 3.8 miles of waterway. This section of Glennwhite is listed on the state of Pennsylvania “List of Impaired Waters” with the source of the impairment being abandoned mine drainage with the cause of impairment listed as metals.

Water draining from these watersheds from the late 1800s until 1999 had very poor quality. The water was metal laden with a very low pH and often highly turbid (muddy) rendering the stream and the impoundments (reservoirs) incapable of sustaining any aquatic life. The waterways were dead.

Link to source: http://www.altoonawater.com/index.php?page=aca-watersheds-case-study

Very interesting, I knew there was run-off at one time, and mainly at the downstream side, I also knew that Dep took some time cleaning the run and trying to remedy potential acid drainage hence the new classification as a cold water fishery/migratory fishes in the chapter 93. Also the stream looks very nice on the upstream side so that's how my inquiry began. But thanks for the information, hopefully some day there will be trout abundant with swirling disease occupying the run

image.jpg

Here's a pic

You could check to see if it is on the PFBC's wild trout reproduction list.

Or, you could just go and fish it, once the conditions get good.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the CW designation does not necessarily mean that it holds wild trout. I think it's more of a temperature designation, warmwater vs coldwater.

For streams that are too acidic from mine drainage to hold trout, I think that they can still have a CW designation, as they would support coldwater fish and invert life if the acidity was remedied.

But if anyone knows more about this, please let us know.

It's not on any natural reproduction list that I've seen.
But that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have WT

Yes CW designates temperature in chapter 93, HQCW means high quality which will definitely hold fish, CW does in no way guarantee fish hence why I raised the question to begin with

CW has a higher standard than warm water when dealing with stream impacts, higher standard of erosion and sediment control is required when impacting

But to put an end to this post I fished it today with absolutely no luck, it appears DEP made progress sense the mine drainage though, seen a number of aquatic insects, I think midges (my entomology sucks)

Sal-this was the liveliest post in a long time-we need more of them.no offense meant by anyone.

That's what I'm here for Pete

Glenwhite is impacted with AMD. We just finished a project there.DEP is proposing some treatment facilities for the stream so may be in the near future the water quality will improve

This is a terrific conversation. How much AMD do you guys think is too much?

I don't think new amd treatment facilities are being planned on glenwhite. Just rehab of the existing sites. I could be wrong though.

AMD seems to affect insects me than fish. I've seen wild trout living in some pretty marginal water but there were hardly any insects sure to the aluminum deposits in the stream bed.

Give it a try it looks trouty. So does the other run that comes down there.

PAgeologist, that was the impression I was under, and have seen that case on quite a few streams. It surprising how quickly some of these streams recover though.

Back