Glass Rods

Tigereye

Tigereye

Anyone have any experience with glass rods. I fished my friends rod for a while this morning and really like the soft action on these. I won't name brand as I want to hear what others think. This one was 7'6" 4 wt.

I would use it mainly for dry or wet fly fishing. What are your recommendations?

I was just thinking of making a similar themed thread this morning with some questions about casting these. I've mentioned in other posts that this year I started using a 7'6" 6 wt Phillipson as dry fly rod. I've been really enjoying it and appreciating the delicate presentation on smaller water.

However, I found myself out the other evening feeling the need to make some longer casts, and I just couldn't get it. I felt like I really couldn't haul effectively with the slower action and, for the first time this year with a dry on, I was wishing I had my 9" graphite in hand.

I'm sure this was mostly my technique, but I'm curious if, in general, people find that power/distance sacrifice is somewhat a part of fishing these rods.

Well funny you should post. The real reason I was thinking Glass rod was I have a cane rod that was left to me by a relative. I love the rod but am always leary of breaking the tip. It would devastate me. I just as soon let it be a safe queen and get a rod I could use with a clear conscience. I stopped in a local fly shop today and played with a few. I also researched the net and see prices from 75 to 500 smacks. There were also some great used bamboo rods I saw in the 500 range.
I really don't want to go for that much for a rod I would use sparingly. That said, with the dollar being what it is 500 isn't a bad price for a quality bamboo.

As for casting distance, i found similar results. I just think distance is not glass or bamboos wheel house. Short accurate effortless casting with soft presentation is where these guys shine. Just don't try to make it something it isn't.

Reminds me of a story my dad told me years ago about cars. You can take your date to the prom in a vette or a garbage truck. Both will get you there. You can also put garbage in the back of a vette and it too can take it to the the dump. When picking a tool for a job, make sure you pick the right one.

I was just thinking of making a similar themed thread this morning with some questions about casting these. I've mentioned in other posts that this year I started using a 7'6" 6 wt Phillipson as dry fly rod. I've been really enjoying it and appreciating the delicate presentation on smaller water.

However, I found myself out the other evening feeling the need to make some longer casts, and I just couldn't get it. I felt like I really couldn't haul effectively with the slower action and, for the first time this year with a dry on, I was wishing I had my 9" graphite in hand.

I'm sure this was mostly my technique, but I'm curious if, in general, people find that power/distance sacrifice is somewhat a part of fishing these rods.
I've only ever cast an entire line while fishing (or more accurately mucking about while not catching fish) twice in my life. Once was with a glass rod, once with a bamboo rod.

There a some glass rods that I couldn't possibly cast more than 35 feet, there are others that are cannons. The same goes for cane and graphite. It depends on the rod as much as the material.

(It also helps that I learned on glass in the 60's and fished nothing else until the 80's.)

I would use it mainly for dry or wet fly fishing. What are your recommendations?
How much do you want to spend? And your idea of "soft" may be different than that of someone who fishes a lot of glass rods. For example, Orvis describes their Superfine Glass rods as "smooth, slow casting" yet many glass addicts find them too fast. (I've got slower action graphite rods.) It's a fine introduction to glass, though if you're used to graphite. (It's a fine rod period.)

If you want to spend less, look into Blue Halo. Or look into vintage rods.

Cabela's CGR rods are a good bargain, but be aware that everyone I know that owns one up line it. Nothing wrong with the rod, they just seem to be marked bit on the lighter side.

I hope others will chime with different opinions.

Last edited:
I have a 7'6" 4 wt butter stick that I use on smaller water. Usually with just a dry or a dry dropper. It casts great and I like the shorter rod for its maneuverability in small stream settings.

If you felt under-gunned with a 7'6" rod and wished you had a 9 footer, the problem may have been more about the length of your rod and not that it was glass...

Like many folks here, I own and fish a lot of glass. In amongst my collection is an 8'0" 5wt with an action some would describe as medium. I often use that rod at streams where my first choice was always something longer and made of graphite, although also with a medium action.

I can do anything with that 8'0" glass rod that I can with an 8'6" or 9'0" graphite with the only loss of performance being reach.

Learn to adjust to the differences between rods and you will soon discover it's less about the rod than it is the caster.

My favorite rod I own is an Epic 580 Fastglass which is an 8 foot 5wt.

I love glass rods . I pretty much fish only glass . They suit my casting style and I love the tippet protection they offer 5x is the heaviest tippet I fish for trout and landlocked salmon and do not have barely any brake offs . Also I find them way more durable as I am not easy on equipment. I have them in lengths of 6’6” - 9’ From 3wt to 6wts . only issue I have is casting in extremely windy conditions but that makes me change technique or location which isn’t a bad thing though . My current favorite is my Steffen 8’6” 6wt it does everything I want it to . For most small streams I use a proof lantern 7’ 4wt that I built . For me glass is it . Like anything one might be great for me but not you . If looking into getting a glass rod look around at flea markets, yard sales , or antique shops one can find a nice old rod cheap . That way if it is not your thing you are not out a bunch of money . My first glass rod was a phillipson tc 76 I picked up for $20 bucks at a flea market . Didn’t use it till I broke my st. Croix ultra legend . I was hooked after that once I got my st.croix back from warranty it just sat in the closet as it still does . I just want everyone to try one and catch a big fish on one . Smiles for days every time I do .

My favorite rod I own is an Epic 580 Fastglass which is an 8 foot 5wt.
Epic make a nice glass rod (Carbon Rods also). They run sales on the ready to make glass kits from time to time. A good winter project if one was inclined.

I have come full circle in my experience with fly rods. I started with glass rods ,years ago. Fenwick 7 ft. 6 inch 5/6 was my first. I went directly to graphite when it arrived on the seen. Also tried some bamboo just to see what the magic was supposed to be. After 40 years of trying different rods and materials and sizes. I would say glass in 6ft. 6 inches to 8 ft. In 4 thru 6 weight is perfect for me. Bamboo was to expensive for my meer blue collar life style and graphite had no soul and in my opinion to fragile. Glass is a very resilient material that protects a light tippet and makes you feel everything through casting to fighting a fish. Personally after all these years it where I've found my niche. Good luck in your journey to find your own.

I agree with everyone about the joys of glass rods. If you want to dip your toe in I recommend the CGRs from Cabelas to start. Usual price is i believe $79 but I bought a complete set when on sale a few years back for about $40 apiece. I liked the 6-4 4 weight so much I bought a spare. For me it is a blast to catch any size fish and I can shoot line way out there.

Anyone have any experience with glass rods. I fished my friends rod for a while this morning and really like the soft action on these. I won't name brand as I want to hear what others think. This one was 7'6" 4 wt.

My recommendations is similar to what I would say for any other rod. Match it to the application and don't handicap yourself with a light line weight. Stay away from the 6' 2wts and such and you'll have a better experience with a more capable rod. You say you've cast and like a 7' 6' 4wt. That is a good rod for smaller water in PA and is capable on larger water, particularly with dries or any other unweighted flies.

Yeah I was thinking something in the 4 to 5 wt range, 7 1/2 or 8 ft. I would have to really take a liking to a 3 wt. Personally I think 1's and 2's are gimmick rods.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Echo River glass. Though I really dont evaluate rods on their looks, Echo's blue rod, I believe "glacier", is too gaudy for me. Their amber one is abit more subdued and to my liking.

I only fish w/ glass.
9/10 times, I'm fishing a 7'6" 5wt in WV and PA. The exception is when I fish bigger water for bass. I have my favorite, and my second favorite rods. It is true, a lot of the modern glass are a bit on the fast side for me, but CGR's have great action (I do not line mine up a wt), and the Southern Appalachian Rod Co. made a great casting rod.
Part of the problem w/ glass is that the hipsters got into it a few years back and the prices of "vintage" rods when bananas. I haven't searched in the last few years, things may have calmed down again.

I fish 80% of the time with glass, either 7'6" or just 7'. Many of the vintage 5wt glass rods of this size are a joy on smaller creeks. The older glass rods are not at all like modern graphites from a line weight - fish size & finesse standpoint. Hard to explain until its experienced. But where a 3wt and maybe a 4wt graphite is often needed to enjoy smaller fish and fish tight water, that's not the case with glass, especially vintage ones. I have numerous 5wt and 5-6wt 7' - 7'6" vintage glass that are just super on smaller creeks' panfish here in SEPA.

Peace.

Echo makes fine glass rods, and a managable price. I brought mine to a meeting of bamboo rod owners. Everyone was casting none but the best. My fiberglass had them curious, however. Soon, and I'm not kidding, guys were lined up to try the fiberglass. Cracked me up.

Inexpensive rods are made by Maxcatch, Eagle Claw, and the Cabelas CGR mentioned. The next step up would probably be Echo River Glass and Bad *** Glass. You also have Redington Butter Stick. Orvis makes their Superfine Glass rods in America with a good warranty for around $500. I think Graywolf may have some Steffens rods for around that price, too. You can spend even more as your taste and budget allow. I have Maxcatch and Eagle Claw rods, Cabelas CGR and Prime rods, an Echo River Glass rod, a Fenwick Fenglass rod, Orvis Superfine rods, and a couple of Custom rods. Weights vary from 1 wt to 9 wt.

Not only are glass rods very durable, but they are also very fun as the rod often bends right down to the handle. The Maxcatch and CGR rods, though inexpensive, are pretty decent rods for the money and make decent glass ‘starter’ rods for folks who want to explore glass fly rods without breaking the bank to see if they like glass rods.

You might want to the Fiberglassflyrodders.com forum and look around and talk to folks.

I really like the Epic rods and the complete kits are really nice. YouTube has the video instructions and its a nice winter project. I've done 3 rods now and will probably do more of their kits. I've done both Epic carbon and Glass rods. These are the first rods I've ever made and found it easy and incredibly satisfying.

A very nice glass rod is the echo gecko. Reasonably priced, casts great, low swing weight, handles large fish easily, and just a ton of fun to fish. Wish the grip was a little bit thicker but that’s a pretty big ask since it is a kids rod. If there’s a kid that you’re considering introducing to fly fishing you can kill two birds with one stone and get an echo gecko and use it yourself when the kid isn’t using it. I have nice 3wt and 4wt graphite rods and I find myself grabbing the echo gecko more often as my small stream rod.

Back