Glass rods ?

some glass and my cane brookie rod for the hell of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    503.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    797.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2598.JPG
    IMG_2598.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2601.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG
    633.3 KB · Views: 3
nymphingmaniac wrote:
so there are no graphite rods out there that flex deep into the rod like a glass model? perhaps its worth throwing a glass rod.

Do you like apples?

What's your favourite cultivar? I mean, you're in a fruit stand, and there's 10 different varieties, do you pick the Red Delicious, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp or the Granny Smith?

Its like that... they all might flex deeply, but sometimes its got the nasty flavourless pulp of a Red Delicious, and sometimes its got the juicy, succulent flavour of a honey crisp.

$20, Eagle Claw Featherlight 7' 5/6 (don't settle for a plastic fuji reelseat, the wood seats are the new design). I fish mine with a GPX 5WFF or a Aircel 6WFF. When you feel it thump in your hand on a good back cast, you'll either understand what I think people desire, or you'll think we're just chasing a fad.

Either way, different strokes et al.

Biker.. I love the unpainted rod. I would absolutely seek one of those out, but I'm pretty sure the blanks are out of my price range.

ha ha, it's an old solid glass montague. I paid 2 bucks for it at a flea market, it was UGLY! had gold pinstriping all over it.
didn't do anything with it for a couple years, then decided to redo it last winter. sanded and polished the blank and wrapped up some guides I had laying around.
it actually casts pretty nice, though it takes a little while to get used to it. it likes a wf5

one of these days I'll own a Norie!! maybe a Studio Thin Line as well. that japanese glass is awesome!

I started on glass and still have it on the wall, red rod bought in the early 60's. 2 fenwicks 5'2" 5wt and 6'0" 5wt. and a 8' 7wt heddon. might be another in there somwhere. Am trying to get a bunch of phillipson blanks off of a guy. waiting for him to come up again this year. Brad if I get them I'll let you know. most are 7'6" and smaller for 5wt. and down..

I shall be interested.

a couple more oldies

Attachments

• IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 3
Different strokes for different folks. One of the happiest days of my FFing life was the day I purchased a decent graphite rod and put all my old fiberglass rods in mothballs...lol.

Good fiberglass = Bamboo like action without the extra care needed for Bamboo. Modern example, the Diamondback Diamondglass ( old and new versions ) I have the old model 7'6" 3 weight. It really feels like you are casting Bamboo but the rod is lighter and tougher. Vintage example, my 1971 production Phillipson Swamp Fox DF76. Wonderful full flex action and SMOOTH! Great dry fly rod. Again feels like good Bamboo without the extra care needed for Bamboo. Glass is back folks and I'm glad.

Back