Glady Fork - West Virginia

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

The wife & I (and our dog) are heading down to Glady Fork, West Virginia at the end of this week. We rented ourselves a cabin right along the Glady Fork and I hope to get some fishing in. Does anyone have any experience with this stream or any around the area? We'd like to do a nice hike by some brookie waters, too. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

-Michael

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

I'd like to hear about the Glady Fork, why is it always a PM sent good grief.

I would like more info as well if it's not too much trouble. I'll be in that area in October. Thanks! I didn't know that the spot burning hysteria applied to out of state streams as well :)

Retract the claws. Dude asked for a pm so I sent him a pm. And it was about muffins, not fishing. Good day!

klingy wrote:
Retract the claws. Dude asked for a pm so I sent him a pm. And it was about muffins, not fishing. Good day!

Why? Because you are opposed to muffin burning? ;-)

The muffins were amazing.

As for Glady Fork..... I'll be sure to post how I do when I get back this weekend.

We're staying at these cabins - http://www.gladyforkcabins.com

Which SEEM pretty great. We'll see. They also run an outfitters.

Did I mention that my wife picked the cabins out even after I told her we didn't have to go someplace that had fishing? Amazing.

Nice raftman! You'll have an awesome trip. That area is great. My wife loves it there. Make sure you do the drive up to Dolly Sods.

FWIW -

You might wanna be careful when dealing with them.
I ordered a new fishing vest from their web site last summer. And they promptly took the payment, but never sent the vest. After several weeks went by, I tried e-mailing them several times - and they never even dignified my queries with a return e- mail.
Since they are - or were - an orvis endorsed outfitter, I even tried corresponding with orvis about the problem. And they pretty much told me that they really couldn't do anything about the situation.
Only after I started to file a dispute through pay-pal, did they finally refund my money for the vest, which apparently they never had in stock to begin with. And even then, they still never contacted me. I just happened to check my paypal account, and noticed the refund was finally there.
I came away from this with the impression that they are a pretty shady business.
Again, FWIW

If you ever need good local knowledge of WV, check out www.wvangler.com . Lots of good guys on there.

afishinado wrote:
Chaz wrote:
I'd like to hear about the Glady Fork, why is it always a PM sent good grief.

PM sent

This is not a laughing matter. Krayfish2 canceled the Delaware Jam due to this joke. It is very dangerous.

PM sent

I just got back from our short trip down to West Virginia. Man, what a beautiful place. The cabins at Glady Fork were nice, clean, but there really wasn't any trout fishing to be done on the property. Gary, the owner, was very nice and I think we'd go back. Not much of an outfitters at all, but knowledgeable of streams in the area and gave me some leads.

Because of the length of the trip, I didn't get to do as much fishing as I wanted to. The only stream I got to fish was Seneca Creek - a really nice brookie (and wild 'bow) stream. We hiked down from the Witmer Road side. The water was really low so I ended up spooking more fish than I caught (and my dog Whitman kept running into holes). I did manage to land a few, all on little hare's ears nymphs.

20140731_123506_zpswadzmhon.jpg

View of the Seneca Creek geology -

20140731_133350_zps6527468b.jpg

View from Spruce Knob overlook -

20140731_151818_zps9a925488.jpg

Next time I'm back I'd like to bring a kayak and fish Spruce Knob Lake

View of Dolly Sods

20140801_120305_zps17d58e45.jpg

Dolly Sods was amazing.

We will definitely head back to this area to explore more. We also ate at The Forks restaurant outside of Elkins.... great food, beverages, and killer view.

Sounds great, thanks for the report.

Back