Getting started - old new guy

B

Brianp

First off, I just want to say now that I have found this site I am totally addicted to this sport and can't wait to get started. Awesome site!! I'm looking for advice on a good solid rod and reel set up for mostly small to medium sized PA trout streams. The largest stream I will most likely fish will be Penns, I honestly love to fish the smaller streams but that's my comfort zone. Many years ago I had an old Fenwick rod my father let me use and to say I did it justice would be anything but accurate. That rod and gear were lost in a house fire and now I'm finally getting back into this awesome sport! My budget is a little on the lighter side but I realize in most cases you get what you pay for! So I open to any and all advice and help in pointing me in the right direction. Some of my thoughts are a 4wt - 5wt 8' or 9' rod. And for reels I'm open to anything. Thanks in advance for the input and see you on the stream. Take care and have a great day!!!! Brian

Welcome to the forum, Brian.

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you need. My personal preference for an all purpose rod would be a 9' 5 wt. If you're fishing a lot of heavy cover small streams maybe go shorter.

How are you set for flies? I have a starter box I put together for someone at work who quit and I lost touch with him. You're welcome to it (assuming I can find it).

You might want to look into complete outfits by Orvis ($160), Redington ($100+), Echo, Cabelas. That way you will get a balanced outfit with rod, reel, and line.

I'm a cheap rod expert. My choice would be a reddington CT 4wt. They are frequently on sale for slightly less than a hundred bucks. All my reels are cabelas brand reels. They are also frequently on sale and you can get a nice machined aluminum reel that will last a lifetime for around a hundred bucks or less. As for line, I just get the best deal I can get. To many choices out there on line. Any WFF line of your choosing will do. I could not be happier with all of my cheap gear.

IMO, the best do it all rod is an 8'6" 6wt. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't a ton of new models around in that configuration.

As far as reels, the orvis battenkill (new or any of the older used ones) are solid reels and the cost is not bad either.

So what exactly is your budget? There are good options for a rod and reel setup in the $200, 300, 400+ ranges and depending on who you talk to, all of those could be considered budget rigs.

Kev

PennKev, I was hoping to stay in the $200 range if at all possible. I realize this is on the low end but I'm just getting back into this sport. Thanks in advance for the input everyone.

A Redington Path outfit would come in under that budget : https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/fly-rods/rod-reel-outfits/redington-path-outfit.html

Vaughn wrote:
A Redington Path outfit would come in under that budget : https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/fly-rods/rod-reel-outfits/redington-path-outfit.html

Yeah. This^

Redington packs a lot of bang for the buck.

Look at Allen rods and reels, I believe you can get a % off as a member here. I have an Allen set up and I love it. They have price points for all shoppers.

For our trout, the reel is the place to save money...it is nothing but a storage device to keep your line from tangling you and the freshly fallen leaves. Put your money into the rod (modestly) and the LINE...

Others may disagree, but if you're not looking to impress a human with a machined work of art with the latest drag system; the reel is almost an afterthought.

I have never had a PA trout take me into the backing or require a robust drag besides palming. That being said I love PA trout!

Cabelas has(?) a CGR reel for $10. Edit: Sorry sold out

I second the Redington or Allen suggestions - I've got setupds from both companies and you truly get a lot of bang for the buck with either companies.

Hi, I agree with starting out wit a 9' 5 wt outfit . This way you can cast dry's and wet flies as well as nymph fishing. The forum members are right , company's make some great starting outfit. good luck.

Ckeck out RISE on line. I have one of their 10wts and I have enjoyed it tremendously while fishing the Salmon River.

Perfect answer from CathyG

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you need. My personal preference for an all purpose rod would be a 9' 5 wt. If you're fishing a lot of heavy cover small streams maybe go shorter.

You might want to look into complete outfits by Orvis ($160), Redington ($100+), Echo, Cabelas. That way you will get a balanced outfit with rod, reel, and line.

Check the local Pawn Shops. You never know what might be available. Also Estate Sales. GG

Cheaper reels I've always been pleased with are Okuma Sierra and Okuma SLV. I have never had a need for a good drag or anything catching trout and fish rarely pull any line at all. For rods I suggest a 4 weight for trout or a 6 weight as the best "all purpose" rod if you want to fish bass, panfish, trout, and whatever else.

Cheap rods that I could recommend are Cabela's Three Forks, Bass Pro Dogwood Canyon, and the Redington Classic Trout. Those are all very functional options that don't cost much at all..I'm sure there are other great bargains but I'm familiar with those.

Flyflicker wrote;

I have never had a PA trout take me into the backing or require a robust drag besides palming.

That may be the case when you are fishing smaller waters with less flow and smaller trout. However if you spend a lot of time on larger rivers with strong flows and larger trout, and you are using lighter tippets, there will be frequent instances when a trout will eat all your fly line and be in backing within seconds.

But if you are throwing big nymphs or streamers on 3X tippets there are very few trout anywhere that you can't stop - but you still need a reel with more than a click and pawl drag to slow them down and not pull the hook out of their mouths.

This is excellent information,if you plan on tying your own leaders.
http://www.garyborger.com/2012/05/09/uni-body-to-harvey-style-leader/

Back