Getting ready to start shopping for my second rod. Suggestions please

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Starting to look for deals on a christmas present for myself already. I know YIKES.

Currently I have an el cheapo 8ft 5wt underlined with FWF 4 line which suites me just fine. Beings I am only interested in fishing for trout and as luck would have it everytime I show up at the stream it is less than ideal fishing conditions. What would you recommend.

These are my considerations. But if you have other ideas I'd like to here them.

10' 4 or 5 wt for nymphing

7'6" 3 wt for smaller streams.

If my current rod ever breaks I will be replacing it with a 9' 4wt if that means anything in your suggestions. I currently only fish the LL and smaller streams but want something reliable that will be ok on Pine, Spring etc.

My price range is around $100 just for the rod.

Thanks in advance

I can't imagine using a 10' rod, I'm already having issues enough with an 8' and having to dodge tree limbs in the same streams you fish, and I know what some people (ahem) like to say, but I'm not that big.

I'd go shorter, and probably lighter (well, definatly, coz I did). Not sure if lighter fits your style or not, only you can be the judge.

I'm not sure I've seen a 10 ft 4 weights in anyone's catalog. I have a couple long 5 weights, a Temple Fork 10' and a Cabelas 9'9". They are great for wet flys on larger streams.

From your description of where you fish and your budget I'd look into the 3 weight rods. There are several nice 7'6" 3s in your price range. Check out the Temple Fork Series One rod. I have one that I use on small streams. Nice light touch.

I fish small streams, as well as the Yellow Breeches and Marsh Creek Lake. I have been fishing with an old fiberglass Eagle Claw 6'6". It was what I needed to start on, but was a little "whippy" and lacked a backbone. My wife recently bought me a St. Croix Triumph series rod. It is a graphite 7'6" 4 wt. I got the two peice model. I absolutely love it. It loads super easy, and is forgiving. I can fish for trout and panfish, and it has enough backbone for me to bring in small size smallmouth. I paired it with a cabelas reel, and scientific anglers air cell line, which I found on sale for $9.99

My everyday rod for my area is a 7'6" 3wt and I love it. There are some good deals out there. Checkout the Sage Launch, they are being discontinued and you can get a 7'6" 3wt for $165.

http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/Fly-Rods/Sage-Fly-Rods/Sage-Launch-Fly-Rods/Sage-Launch-Series-3wt-p5625464.html

I haven't used them but the Hook and Hackle sells 10' 4-wt rods by Hardy and Greys. They'll set you back about $300 though.

Another good option for a 7'6" 3-wt is an Echo. I have an Echo Classic three weight that I just love - it was $150. I can't recommend it highly enough, it has served me very well. Nice gentle casts and enough backbone to bring in big trout (20"+) while protecting light tippets.

They're not making the Classic series anymore, but you can still find new ones on Ebay occasionally and some other shops.

Echo has several new lines of rods - and if the Classic is any indication they should be nice too.

A buddy of mine has TFO Finesse series rod (a 4-wt I believe), that he really likes. These will put you back about $180.

I held a nice little TFO at Cabela's last weekend 3WT 7'6' it was pretty cool and I think it was in the 140.00 range.

All of the Sage Launch models are being discontinued right now. That is what I bought. I payed 189.00 for my 4WT.
If you watch online I am sure over the next few months those rods will be on closeout specials. Sage's new rod (replacement) is supposed to hit this fall and is more expensive.

While I was test casting at Cabela's the Fly shop guy said that either sage or gloomis (I can't remember) bought out Redington so they have starting using higher quality blanks on their rods. They have really good prices on their rods.

Since you're primarily trout oriented, I would also suggest a 7'6" 3wt. That will give you good versatility in covering small streams up to big water. The 3 wt can cover delicate dry presentations and small fish while the 5 can handle the wind, nymphing, streamers, etc.

Millertime wrote:
While I was test casting at Cabela's the Fly shop guy said that either sage or gloomis (I can't remember) bought out Redington so they have starting using higher quality blanks on their rods. They have really good prices on their rods.

Sage bought them a while back. I would guess that Sage's idea is to continue to make their entire rod line in the U.S., and use Redington (Korean-made I believe) to compete in the lower priced category. I've read a lot of good reviews about Redington rods.

Afish is spot on. Owned by Sage and since the time of purchase, Redington's product seems to have a better quality.

Mark, with the Launch being discontinued, they are already on closeout, but to your point as time passes I would expect they would be more heavily discounted. Great rod for the money.

My advice with a new rod purchase is the same, set your budget, have a few models in mind and CAST them at your local fly shop. Just becuase others like a particular model doesn't mean you will.

If you only have one rod and like it a great deal, then anything else may be a bit of a disappointment. I would cast what you intend to buy, complete with intended reel and line so that you know the balance is right for you. Some shops let you do this.

At your price point, I would look for something from Cortland, such as the CL series that is being phased out, in a 7 ft. It's been a few months since I looked, but they were being discounted to the $60s area.

I wish I didn't already own so many rods. Shopping for them is fun. Enjoy.

Check this out. At $50 the price is right.

http://www.shoploonoutdoors.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

You may even be able to get a reel too for your 100 bucks!:

http://www.shoploonoutdoors.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

And a case for less than $15 more:

http://www.shoploonoutdoors.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=151

Good luck.

afish did you recently become a sales rep for loon? you're pushing those links like it's your job! :p

i also wanted to thank you for that. i spent another 75 bucks on stuff i really didn't 'need.' they are some nice bags for the price though!

StudentofTheStream wrote:
afish did you recently become a sales rep for loon? you're pushing those links like it's your job! :p

i also wanted to thank you for that. i spend another 75 bucks on stuff i really didn't 'need' they are some nice bags for the price though!

Nope. I'm just trying to sucker everyone else into buying stuff they don't really need like I did. I guess I got you. :)

The chestpack is great for the price, and so are the rod cases.

I can't vouch for the rods, but for $50 they are great for someone starting out like our friend LL.

I keep looking at that Riptide chest pack on there.

Do you own it Afish??

Does any one on here own it??

afishinado wrote:
Check this out. At $50 the price is right.

http://www.shoploonoutdoors.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

You may even be able to get a reel too for your 100 bucks!:

http://www.shoploonoutdoors.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

And a case for less than $15 more:

http://www.shoploonoutdoors.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=151

Good luck.

Did you see the 5/6 reel on close out before recommending it? :p just kidding but not exactly my cup of tea.

I agree that Riptide does look pretty nice as well as the neckvest lanyard for those quick trips.

I wish they made the pink reel in 7-8. I would rock that.

jayL wrote:
I wish they made the pink reel in 7-8. I would rock that.

I can see it Jay...

Do I recall in a prior post a while back you saying you had some crazy colored hair at one point?

I'm sure you could get some pink dacron and floating line to match....

Yes, I had pink hair when I was a teenager. I have no problem with having ridiculous looking gear, and would kind of enjoy having a reel like that, especially for $50.

It all depends on what you want. Do you want an all-purpose rod or more of a specialty rod?

A 3 weight is a nice rod but if you’re looking at some bigger and more open waters where wind can be an issue and you need to make 30+ foot casts, a 3 weight isn’t the best choice. For smaller streams requiring shorter casting distances where wind isn’t much of an issue, a 3 weight is really a nice choice. However, a 3 weight is what I would consider to be a rod at the heavy end of the lightweight rod range (if that makes sense) so it’s uses will be more restricted and limited.

I have an 8 foot 3 weight (medium), 8 foot 4 weight (medium-fast) and 9 foot 5 weight (medium) and if I had to choose just one rod, hands down it’s the 8 foot, 4 weight. The 4 weight is what I consider as a lightweight all purpose rod, as it has the delicacy, feel and finesse of my 3 weight yet is able to handle wind and punch out larger flies farther much more like my 5 weight.

As for length, personally I wouldn’t go anything smaller than 8 feet. I simply feel a longer rod will much better suit your fishing needs in more fishing situations than a shorter rod. I fished a 6 foot, 5 weight exclusively for 30 years before buying the 9 foot 5 weight about 4 years ago. Every now and then I take it out for old times sake and cannot believe how much easier it is to fish a rod 8+ feet even in smaller and more confined streams.

As for brands, there are many but for the money, you can’t beat Temple Fork. The Signature Series rod is a fast action 2-piece rod and sells around $100. The Professional Series is a medium-fast action 4-piece rod and sells around $140. The Finesse Series is more of a traditional, medium action 4-piece rod and sells for around $170. I wouldn’t consider the TiCr, TiCrX or Axiom Series rods in anything less than 7 weight – they are underrated by at least 2 line sizes in the under 7 weight models.

Another rod that has gotten great reviews is the A-5 by Albright. I have not cast one but know people who have and they really like them Here is their website. http://www.albrightflyfish.com

Back