Getting dialed in with blood knots

PennKev.........is the Ligature knot the name of the knot i was trying to describe in my post? Never knew the name of it if it is.........see , i'm 57 years old and learn somethingg new on here almost everyday.

sandfly wrote:
boychick wrote:
You can substitute a surgens knot for the blood knot, but the blood knot is a better knot for a leader becuase it lays out straight. A surgens knot does not

Wrong, a Double surgeons knot will lay off to side but the triple surgeons knot will lay straight everytime. The downfall some say is the bulk when tied, I have never noticed and after 30 years of useing the blood knot I switched to the triple for all my freshwater and most saltwater. It's also 100% breaking strength is also a great point meaning the line will break before the triple surgeons. I have been fly fishing for over 45 years now, scarey.....

+1 Sandy....same amount of years, too... :-o :-o :-o

osprey wrote:
PennKev.........is the Ligature knot the name of the knot i was trying to describe in my post? Never knew the name of it if it is.........see , i'm 57 years old and learn somethingg new on here almost everyday.

I was thinking that when I read your post. It is much easier to demonstrate and actually tie, than it is to describe.

Interestingly, I've also seen the ligature knot referred to as...

... A SURGEON'S KNOT!

But it is not the same knot we would identify as a surgeon's knot.

Groan.

deleted double post.

Ligature knot looks interesting.

The double or triple surgeon's knot doesn't join perfectly straight, but it looks to me like it's close enough when using fine tippet, 4X and smaller.

I picked up one of those Dennison leader-making vises off eBay, and I have to say it's a slick little tool. Makes a very clean blood knot very easily. As I said, my thought was to use it for a while to get the hang, then eventually wean myself off it.

I find that using the double nail method to only work on large diameter to large diameter mono for the leaders. I am still working on the blood knot as well.

I also struggle with blood knots. Last time that I was on the water and forgot my glasses I tied whatever mixed up knot that would keep my tippets together. Worked ok in a pinch.

If I had to do a quick tie on the water, I find a double uni to be easy and fast to do. I don't see it mentioned in the fly community, though some of my conventional fishing friends use it regularly. I haven't tested it though I imagine it may not be as strong as a blood knot.

I asked a general surgeon friend of mine if he uses the Surgeons Knot in his operations. He laughed at me.....

blood knots are what I spend most of my time doing on the stream. or at least that's what it feels like. you get better at them and they are always gonna be a pain. that being said I can usually do one in about a minute.
I like surgeons knots but not for fly fishing. reason being is they are not inline and they are smaller knots. I use a blood as a line to line to have a strong line connection and second when nymphing I like a bigger knot so my split shots stay in place. I still got good eyes and my hands are fine I think ill be ok for awhile. my dad struggles with it but that's why he goes whit me.
wbranch I think they use a few over hand knots. that what it seems like when I watched the guy stich up my gums after getting my wisdom teeth out.

I remember starting to make my own leaders, the blood knot was difficult to tie and in diminishing light with cold fingers forget it. I had trouble in the house at the kitchen table! A surgeons knot also called a water knot is what I use and have used for 25 years. I know everyone has their favorite that's what is great about this so many different ways to get to the same point. ( fish in the net )

I can tie a blood knot, but I find the surgeons knot to be a good bit quicker. I remember reading somewhere that the blood knot is only 5% more effective than the double surgeons knot, but it takes probably 95% more time to tie. I'll stick with the surgeons.

An Alberto knot might work for you. I just used it on some heavier line that were the same pound test. I use it to tie small braid to a larger diameter floro. Not sure about a lite tippet. But I can join power pro with a diameter equiventlent to 2 pound mono. To 6 pound mono backing. The knot is seamless to. Much easier then a blood. I think it's stronger too.

Back