Gear Junkie

allan_s

allan_s

I said I wouldn't, I swore I wouldn't, I truly didn't think I would....but I did. I just purchased another fly rod. I need help. Two more rods this year, its just like I can't stop. If I could afford it, I would probably own every new rod every year. My grandfather enscribed a fly fishing book he passed down to me that describes my condition perfect:

"Give a man a trout and you can feed him for a day. Teach him how to fly fish and you can sell him gear for a lifetime"

Maybe one day...one day... I will finally be able to say no to a great deal.

Btw, if your looking for rep samples of g loomis I found the best place ever. They are eligible for the loomis wild card and their warranty.

In other news the Yellowstone Angler came out with their 2013 5 wt Shootout so check it out. The Zenith has been dethroned!!!

Well, my Winston BIIISX hasn't even been delivered yet but I guess I can go ahead and list it on ebay . . . .

2013 Shootout

Link, just incase anybody doesn't know where to find it.

Jdaddy, I felt that same way when they did the helios lol

Meh. Anderson craps all over Winston all the time. I'm amazed Winston has not kicked him curbside. A few points of interest. First, Anderson uses the Winston B3sx for 100 foot+ casting contests. Second, look at the butts of those rods in the review. Note one of them is heavily worn and all the others are brand new. Could it be that the b3x is someones go to 5wt? Third, he poops all over Winstons supply chain because they are selling so many Passports that he cant keep them in stock. Last, any chance that $1400 Tom Morgan (former owner of Winston) threw a little sweeter since it had been custom built, including Andersons name emblazened on it?

Glad to see my legend elite cracks the top 5 EVERY YEAR. It is a really fine casting rod at a fraction of what the big boys charge.

Meh.

A few of the reviews make the rods in question sound like crap but then they give them a 18 out of 20 rating on the scoresheet.

If they suck give them a 10 out of 20 or something. Doesn't make sense to say that a company needs to go back to the drawing board but then give them high scores.

Allen, I feel your pain my friend. This is way too addicting of a sport, I must confess. I own a st croix 15' 10/11wt avid, and pretty much the only reason I bought it other than wanting to play around with a classic spey style line, is that it was on clearance from st croix for $120. Now I still hav e yet to line it with a propper classic spey line, but I did pick up a used skagit head for $20 shipped and put that on my reel for my other double hand rod. So really I only have maybe $160 into that set up... yeah the bargans are hard to turn down. Especially now I am watching a line on ebay that is listed poorly, if I get it with one bid, $12 shipped for a $80 cortland spey line... ;-)

Anytime a review includes an entirely arbitrary "gotta have it" number, its entirely moot.

I bought two rods this year, a new reel, and a line. Total cost so far: $60.00.

there are bargains out there for sure. I just bought a used $40 fly rod. I have sold some good stuff for not much $.

but you dont really make fishing cheap, at least if you travel much, just by saving $ on gear. miles on the car add up!

That's where a good, gas efficient vehicle comes into play! I tapped off my tank when I left Ephrata on Thursday morning ($30), tapped it off for around $20 in Liberty when I got off of 15, and then filled up before leaving Galeton ($40) on Sunday morning.

Still driving around on that fill up, and will be til Monday or Tuesday! People knock the Volvo station wagon, but it saves me $$$.

yup I have a 38 highway MPG 2013 altima. I have almost gotten 40 mpg on long highway drives by keepin the speed down.

Woah nice! I thought I was rockin' it at 27mpg!

Compared to those big trucks the other FFers were drivin, I was rocking it! Your car sounds too nice for FFing though!

Ha ha tgats why I bought tge mrs an audi. 4wd 30mpg as long as yoir nice to yhe throttle.

Ha ha that why I bought the mrs an audi. 4wd 30mpg as long as your nice to the throttle.

I only dream of 30 mpg haha if i hit 15 mpg thats a good day!

I believe the Yellowstone Angler gives a good perspective on the current rods and how they stack. I agree the 'gotta have it' should be left out, but overall I think they do some of the best reviews.

I believe they do hate on some companies rods, *winston*, to name one in specific and love on companies that rods are way way too expensive, I am sure everybody can figure that one out. How does a fly rod that costs 1,400 manage a 5 in cost? lol

That should be a zero outta ten, but I guess they didn't want cost to be a big factor....if that was the case why would the gotta have it be there?

I think we should do a PA Fly Fish Fly Rod Shootout.

Worst rod ever: Older 4 Piece TFO 9ft 5wts. (From about 5 years ago) I use them for beginner FF courses and they are comparable to using a log with fly line taped to it. They are so bad infact that have permanently biased me against TFOs. (I don't even know the model b/c I refuse to look at them any longer than I have too)

Best rod ever: Too many great ones for me to decide but Ill go with a Loomis GLX Streamdance.

I don't have science or tests to back that up, just my uneducated opinion.

In keeping with the "junkie" topic, anybody else find themselves consistently reassuring your better half that you absolutely need this new item. Me and my wife have a pretty open relationship with each other. She seemingly hides nothing from me and I reciprocate. Except fly fishing gear...
I'm a gear addict. I never know how she'd react to new rods, reels, or anything since I have already accumulated so much. So instead of possibly starting a jihad in the homestead, I resort to some old fashion trickery. Having things shipped to my parents house or to my hotel while I'm away at work or rubbing a little dirt on something and telling her I've had that for years. I'm sure she knows my struggle with addiction because I've seen her purse and shoe collections, but I still cannot bring myself to let her know just how bad it is.

Railking wrote:
Me and my wife have a pretty open relationship with each other.

She a goer?

I only dream of 30 mpg haha if i hit 15 mpg thats a good day!

that's the family wagon(sexy, really fun to drive and the damn things gonna get me a speeding ticket), but that costs a boat load less to drive to go fish than my crew long bed powerstroke(6spd, my baby), also hauls the fam and or whatever else i throw at it, but costs twice as much to go the same place on average, maybe a bit better if i can keep my foot out of it(so hard to do, i'll admit 'im a bit of a horse power junkie as well).

as for the shoot out, lucly i have not had many that bad, but i did attempt to cast a shakespear walmart special combo once... who in their marketing dep let that out the door? absolute JUNK!

best rod...??? prob my mystic m-series 3wt.

has anyone sprawled bast just ff gear to builing gear as well? ya know a wood lathe for handle turning, loads of diy rod building goodies, and now working into bamboo lol. but at least the bamboo got partially side lined by the fishing coming back locally anyways?

Some flyfisherman told me that he had 92 fly rods.

So, you can keep buying more until you catch up with that guy.

Back