Game Changer

Fredrick

Fredrick

Here is new fly from Blane Chocklett the inventor of the gummy minnow called the Game Changer . This fly uses fish skulls articulated shanks in different sizes to make a jointed fly that has great action in the water.

Game Changer

That fly is nuts...especially for being so simple. Tan and white for the mullet run eh fred?

I went and ordered all the materials I needed to tie this today so I should be ready for the run . Best thing about the cct body fur is all you need is white it colors very well with a marker .

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/products/fish-skull-products/fs-articulated-fish-spine/fish-spine-flies/

buy some stainless welding wire in 0.30 and have at it on a few nails in a board. Or a beading pliers. make all your own. lifetime supple and any lenth you want.

Attachments

• DSCF7166 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF7166 (400x300).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF7167 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF7167 (400x300).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF7168 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF7168 (400x300).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 7
What are they using for the body material?

The game has changed. Just picked up a message from Derek / Surf Cowboy and he said he's tying up a bunch of GCers. We'll be trying them out on some big, bad SMBs on Monday.

We'll let you all know how they work.

CCT body fur
getting some in this week.
One thing i did not care for on Blaines fly is he used mono for the loop at the hook. A toothie fish could cut that. I made a loop out of wire for strength. While i wait for cct body fur did one in sparkle fur.

Attachments

• Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 3
Neat fly!
I tie a lot of articulated stuff for WW and salties and have found that wire connection loops don't seem to allow for as much flexibility as mono (I could probably solve this with coated wire rather than uncoated, stranded wire). Nevertheless, all my muskie/bluefish/ cuda flies are connected with #60 wire these days.

As for bluefish - if it were me - I'd put a hook in the back section and remove the front hook as blues tend to chomp big streamers at mid-section rather than inhaling them front first like stripers or big smallmouth bass tend to do. With a hook in the back, you'll definitely want to use wire joints and it would probably be good to use steel links as a single fly can get chewed on by a of blues in an afternoon and this constant yanking can really stress or kink/break wire connections. Personally, I don't care to have any more than one hook in flies or lures that I use for bluefish (and definitely no trebles!).

Fish there isn't a blue fish alive that could break the wire I use. I have used for shark fishing as well as through wire for wood lures. I agree in the rear hook for blues though. Here are some different configurations for hook placement;
and one with hook to rear:

Attachments

• Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 6
Blane (my Roanoke homeboy) is using different materials. The GC, he explains, is simply a new style of fly, not a pattern. You can tie it with any material that can be stacked, spun, or wound, and depending on how you form and shape the head, you can change the action (wide wobble, bigger arcs of movement, etc...).

I have been using EP fibers, because that's what I have laying around. Blane uses
an either preformed or custom made brush with Steve Farrar's DNA material. He has also tied them entirely with flashabou brushes, as well.

As a note, when it comes to catching muskie on a fly, Blane is likely one of the two or three best on the planet, so if he's using a mono loop, you probably should, too. If he tells you grass is going to turn to cheese, you go buy crackers.

Since i have been catchin musky on the fly from before Blaine was born, I'll stick to wire for the loop..The sky is clearing and i am going fishing ! here's one for Ya 2 hooks, mustad 94151 #1 and a 23407D # 6/0 with 4 links

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7
SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I have been using EP fibers, because that's what I have laying around.

I clipped a couple hooks and started tying some w/ leftover ep as well. I liked how it looked, but then I ran out after two sections...off to the shop!

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
If he tells you grass is going to turn to cheese, you go buy crackers.

I laughed. But regardless, I agree on his flies...another level of creative altogether.

I'm letting these guys figure it out for me so far they are on it

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/903588/cct-body-fur

Made from estaz and paperclips. Not really that hard to tie, just takes a little time.

Attachments

• GCer.JPG
    GCer.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 5
What did you make the tail out of tweed ?

I hope you are importing bass from VA when you go with Derrick because they are the only ones he knows how to catch :p

Afish paper clips will rust really fast in salt water. been there done that.

http://youtu.be/BqGOLQ1Caig

Fredrick wrote:
What did you make the tail out of tweed ?

I hope you are importing bass from VA when you go with Derrick because they are the only ones he knows how to catch :p

Fred,
Hen hackle feather clipped in a reverse V shape and coated with UV goop.

The Big D from Virginny is tying the flies and manning the oars on this trip.....so I wait 'til after we get back to comment.;-)

Sandy,
Just a prototype fly. I used stuff I had laying around the house and tied one up just to see how it works. The SS wire is a great idea.

Fred, there aren't any up here like there are down there anymore. If VA would stop with the floods I'd go catch a few.

I have been using Palmer chenille and craft fur. On 8/0 spinner bait hooks with fishsckulls chockletts shanks. They are killer in the water!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 6
Back