Gaining Stream Access and Limestone Adventers!

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Just curious...if that was the first hatchery, where did they "hatch" these?

"1873 - Some 2.7 million young shad hatched and planted in the Susquehanna River. "

same web site...

I had a similar thought. If it was the first hatchery, why did they call it "the Western Hatchery"? Wouldn't they have just called it "The Hatchery" or "The State Hatchery"?

I am very familiar with stream number 4. I can tell you that the biggest downfall is the farms along it. I think that is the reason no one has taken it on or adopted it. In addition, most of the population around it, believe in the idea of put and take. Here are some pictures that I have from earlier in the summer of the same stream. Be glad the cows were not out when you were there. The middle section is used for a kids fishing derby in the spring also.
IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

These pics are beautiful!

I'm gonna go down the street and check the stream down there. Hell after seeing some of these streams I think this little one has a shot!

Bob

I am very familiar with stream number 4. I can tell you that the biggest downfall is the farms along it. I think that is the reason no one has taken it on or adopted it. In addition, most of the population around it, believe in the idea of put and take. Here are some pictures that I have from earlier in the summer of the same stream. Be glad the cows were not out when you were there. The middle section is used for a kids fishing derby in the spring also.

Jason yes i did get your pm sorry i didnt have time to answer it.
i agree that its biggest and probably ONLY downfall are the farms around it , but living here in lancaster county our local TU has worked on many streams with farms and plenty of cows. And yes they were out when i was there. Look i really do believe if this stream was "fixed and restored" it would be on heck of a fishery. the uppser section is all ready fenced off with its stream bank fencing. it is the middle section that needs the work done on it. The upper sections habitat is picturesque and needs next to no work. the stream needs a steward to help it. im not arguing to make this stream C&R or DHALO. whet id like to see is the stream restored and the possibilty of getting wild trout in the stream. now having said that they can keep there put and take fishery and have there local fishing derby for kids. After its all said and done and wild trout are thriving ...then maybe in the upper section push for a short special regulation area. but i see no reason to make the whole stream special regs.
the water is cold enough....its a classic limestoner so why the heck not restore it? this weekend im going to start calling around about this stream and im going to try and get something going. again people try to remember this is a classic limestone spring creek and is a very valuable resource to trout fisherman everywhere. and it needs help. if this stream was restored it would help take pressure away from some of the now more famous limestoners. i say WHY NOT?
Tom, i have no idea im still trying to figure out which series of pics mike was taking about lol!
:lol:

I am also a member of the Falling Spring Chapter of TU. That might be a good place to start for further help. Check out their website at http://www.fallingspringtroutunlimited.com for more contacts.

Ok, you guys may have me here. In my quick perusal of stream number 2's photos, I thought I was looking at Donegal Spring(s). Maybe it was not Donegal Spring (s) at all. That may have been my fist error.

Regarding the hatchery comment, now I can't put my finger on the written source of information, but that written source, which impressed me at the time as being reliable, said that Donegal Springs, Lancaster Co., was either used as the first PFC hatchery or the first PFC trout hatchery. So there you have it.

ah ok mike no u are correct. stream number 2 was donegal springs creek at one of the spring sources. amazing i never knew that used to be a hatchery back there. thank you for the history lesson i find that interesting but it may explain why the stream, donegal springs creek is so shallow? i know it was along time ago and the weeds and the stream dont seem to degraded by the destructive habits that hatcheries can create. while we are on the subject and we named the stream here are some more photos to enjoy:

spring source a of donegal springs
http://www.donegalfish.com/images/p5b.jpg

spring source b of donegal springs
http://www.donegalfish.com/images/p6b.jpg

and of course spring source c of donegal springs
http://www.donegalfish.com/images/p7b.jpg

here are my pics of the spring source c

the whole spring
from a distance
propagation area downstream of spring source

downstream donegal springs becomes a very classic limestone spring creek with the makings of being a fine little limestoner. but as i said the hol;ding water is dramatically lacking and most fish run downstream into the mainstem. sometimes i wish we would focus restoration efforts on donegal springs creek (as far as making holding water) and two other streams in lancaster county. lancaster has some classic limestone spring creeks that have potential.
here they are an there problems:

donegal springs creek: lack of holding water and nitrate in the headwaters.

Indian spring run: lack of holding water and some privateland...but wild brook trout are in the creek

Cedar Creek: i have never been to this stream but plan to visit it to see what problems it has or doesnt have. but from what i know there are no trout in it.

Indian Run: i know the section near ephrata is stocked but the water looks great. some privateland but this section is short. upstream i have never seen but plan on checking it out this week.
im hoping to find a classic limestoner thriving in the middle of farmland.

Lititz Run: it has its problems...sometimes thermal pollution...other times wilber chocolate. but this stream is on a big comeback and some natural reproduction is occuring.

Houston Run: never been there and im hoping to find a classic limestoner when i visit it......but i know no trout are in it.

White Horse Run: same as above

wish more conservation efforts focused on these streams.lancaster has over 60 limestone streams and as far as i know only 2 are worth any merit. its a shame.....but it goes along witht he heritage of the land over here. farmers are in the business of farming not fishing...(wonder where i heard that b4)

:lol:

Back