Frustrated

troutbert wrote:
Try Wooly Buggers.

Try white ones. And try dark ones, such as all black or the classic black and olive.

I was going to add this after reading the list of flies tied and tried, but you beat me to it. These will work for all types of fish. My first few trout on a fly rod were caught on wooly buggers in the Octorara FFO section. There's no wrong way to fish them, really, and the pattern will help to compensate for any skills or abilities you have not yet gained as a flyfisherperson. They'll help build confidence and that in turn will help you catch more fish.

Here is a recent discussion on fishing buggers.

UPDATE
Another 6 hours on the stream and I caught a sunny. I am learning though, which is what it is all about. I learned that when I get frustrated and break down my setup and start fresh with new tippet and tie two new fresh flies on that I will loose the whole rig on the very next cast.
May 4th is my deadline. Sale will be on the 7th.

Are you fishing in NJ? I heard all the trout across the river are snobby and won't give a beginner the time of day! :)

LOL, splitting time between PA and NJ.

NJ trout are snobby. I hear they won't even look at the store bought flies.

Was out this weekend for the very first time with my fly rod ... although I didn't catch any trout, I did manage a handful of crappies. I figure it's a start.

Maybe it's just me, or us, but IMO fly fishing isn't quite as effortless as a worm under a bobber. I don't say that to dissuade you. I'm just being realistic. To me struggling as hard I initially did made the success that came later that much more satisfying.
If you have some spinning rod experience your learning curve should be much shorter than mine was. When I started fishing I went straight for a fly rod. I had almost no idea about trout or any other fish behavior at all. Add in not casting very well, not being able to make a decent presentation, and fishing heavily pressured water all made it seem hopeless. I'm not really sure what made me decide to become as determined to figure it out as I was. I guess I just like a challenging puzzle. I hope you stick with it because I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and enjoy the success that comes with experience. Some of the guys that post here have been fly fishing since before I was born in the 1970s and they'll tell you they still learn new things.
Just remember a day out not catching anything still beats cleaning the gutters.

I always compare fly fishing to archery deer season. I was fishing with spinning gear on Saturday. No need to put the spinning gear away.

Don't get caught up in the whole purest fly fishing club. Do what you want.

Have great time. Enjoy.

Have to agree with the wooly bugger comments. Don't be afraid to add a little motion to it. Also stay out of sight if possible. They may be stockers but they've seen enough people to know better. Nothing worse than a trout following your bugger and leaving the country when he sees you.

Fly fishing takes patients my friend...

Fly fishing takes patients my friend...

Yep.

So you can make good money like a doctor and afford yourself the top tier gear.

^ I'm glad someone hit that out of the park

Shear - I hope you're a barber/hairdresser that's great name.

Take your time out there.

Have fun.

But be intentional when you fish.

Hit a spot a couple different ways (use multiple presentations/flies) but move on.

Sometimes it's just not in the cards. That can be an environmental factor and doesn't have anything to do with you.

The other thing is, if your not having fun: take a break. use the spin rod, but take time while you are spin fishing and observe how you might use your fly rod the next time.

also, if you're pretty good spin fishing maybe you could start buy using streamers since they're similar approaches. that might be a good start.

I DID IT!!!! Sale is off. Only a day left to finish the deal and I pulled it off with a 14" brown on a Hendrickson. I think it was a Hendrickson. I missed multiple, at least 5, fish off the top. Not sure why but I know I didn't pull to early and I did set to the side. Two fish missed it entirely. I also missed a fish on a Pheasant tail. This was over several days in Potter. I hit the Pine, West Branch, Lyman run, and Kettle. Had fun and now I see the need for the chest waders. I now I see the need for the breathable ones. I wore my old school solid rubber waders and my chest smelled like my feet by the end of the day. It is very hard to take a leak with waders on BTW.

Also scored on an opening day turkey. Great trip!!

Back