Framed Pontoon Help...

I believe Dave told me a vest must be worn at all times on the Yough. State park rules. The inflatable one is expensive but could be worn all the time. Not bulky or annoying like the standard puffy vest type.

If you buy an inflatable one check the instructions for temperature requirements. I got one for duck hunting out of a layout boat, and realized it said it should not be used for temperatures below freezing..... Something about the gas chamber freezing. So I went back to a standard, something about dumping out of a boat in full duck gear..... didn't want to take a chance.

I couldn't remember why the inflatable that I purchased was and issue so I looked it up,

Taken from the PA Fish & Game Website frequently asked questions:

Can U.S. Coast Guard approved inflatable life jackets be worn to meet this requirement?

Life jackets must be worn in accordance with the U.S. Coast Guard approval label. If the inflatable life jacket is worn within its U.S. Coast Guard approval then the answer would be yes, it does meet the requirement. It is worth pointing out that some inflatable life jackets have a statement on the U.S. Coast Guard label that reads “DO NOT USE BELOW FREEZING”. The warning refers to the air temperature. Inflatable life jackets get their buoyancy from the pressure of the carbon dioxide gas (CO2) inside the life jacket’s bladder. As the temperature decreases, so does the CO2 pressure. Less CO2 pressure inside the life jacket’s bladder means less buoyancy. So if you are going to be out on a boat when the air temperature is below freezing (32 degrees F), then you should wear an inherently buoyant foam-filled life jacket that is U.S. Coast Guard approved.

So if you buy inflatable make sure it doesn't have a below freezing restriction on the label, otherwise I think you would technically be in violation.

That tells me I'm fine to buy the CO2 model because I won't be floating if the air temp is below freezing. That I'm sure of.

Well we got out scadden avenger in the mail yesterday and got it all put together tonight in the garage... We were missing the pump we ordered and were surprised that there wasn't a pedestal seat mount for the front seat, which means tower and front man seats are the same height. We were expecting this pedestal so we called and talked to Dave and he said he would send out both the pump and pedestal right away... Seemed as though it was no problem so we'll see... Other than that seems very nice and can't wait until we get a chance to get into the water.

We got our boat too. We are setting it up this weekend since it will be nice. I have a few questions. I was wondering if someone could take pictures of their anchor system. I was also wondering if I needed to purchase a launch permit for lakes and rivers in PA? In WV and VA it seems a fishing license is all that is needed.

If you launch OR take out from a PFBC launch, fish a state park then YES. If you put a motor on it you need to get it REGISTERED. Other wise no.

If you have trouble w/ getting anchor system set up, give me a shout. I used an old section of wire and ran it through the frame. Taped anchor line to it and pulled it back out. Very simple. For the pulpy on the rear deck, angle it toward the opening in the frame. It makes it easier to raise / lower the anchor.

If you got out, how'd the first outting go?

Hi Krayfish,

Thanks for the advice on the anchor. I will have it out for smallmouth Wednesday with the wife. We will be hitting the Shenandoah by the house. I cant wait to get it out. I ordered two scotty rod holders for it, and an electric pump. Assembly was pretty easy. Any advice for cold water river smallmouth? LOL

Concentrate on deeper holes and fish REALLY slow.

We took it out yesterday. The wife and I, and the Labrador. Surprisingly the dog did very well. I had lots of issues with the wind. We were getting 20 to 25 mph gusts. I had lots of issues with it tracking in the wind. I was on the Shenandoah at a very wide calm stretch. It did give me sometime to figure out what I needed to add to it and set it up. I have a question though. Do you all use the oar rights? Where are your oars positioned at? Next question, how do you all handle the second vehicle? Do you usually use a friends vehicle at the takeout?

Charlie,
Wind is a pain no matter how it occurs. You simply deal with it best you can and if its really bad, leave the boat at home.

Oar rites; I set mine at a comfortable position, so the oar grips are just slightly inside my shoulders. In your case I'd set them up so they are just inside your wife's shoulders so she is comfortable while rowing you around!

If its at all possible, I try to get what ever is going to do the transportation of the boat, to the take out before the float. By the end of the day, you'll want as little fooling around as possible. Especially if you misjudged the conditions of the wind.

Buy a used Clacka or Hyde.

Enjoy you time not floating around in a rubber tube.

Profit.

Back