FOX 43 News: PFBC stocking invasive trout story(link to video of story aired on evening news). PFBC declines to be interviewed

It's on the agenda for tomorrow's meeting: https://www.fishandboat.com/About-U...Docs/2023-4-5-Fisheries-HatcheriesMtg-agd.pdf

Which I suspect will involve a proposed regulation that allows the harvest of rainbow trout in the 12 stocked class A's (yellow creek is already C&R), but makes brown trout C&R in those sections. I'm guessing here.
If they did creel surveys and documented a harvest of, let’s say, 10-25% in a given size range in few of the streams and for that reason there is a regulation change needed I will oppose it. That would only be 1 out of every 4-10 fish of that size harvested. On the other hand if the fish population surveys in the stocked Class A sections showed a decline in abundance or biomass since the previous surveys, for me the questions of natural variations and habitat degradation are going to be in play. Many here say that the habitat in the Little Lehigh has gone downhill due to stormwater runoff and I can certainly say that the habitat in the Monocacy has never been great during my years of observation and some electrofishing. It continues to suffer from the degrading effects of urban/suburban stormwater runoff.

Last edited:
I'm still curious if you support the C&R regs for Brown Trout on the LJR, Letort, Penns, Spring, Falling Spring, Yellow Creek, West Branch Sus. etc.? Were those regulations implemented to protect larger brown trout? Was the slot limit reg type created to protect larger brown trout? I assume they'll implement the slot limit on Spring Creek. Do you support that? You don't support C&R for "larger" brook trout, so I would assume you also don't support the same approach for brown trout.
No, I don’t, at least not on all. I support special regs when the quality of the fishery has declined substantially usually due to cropping off of fish down to a certain small(ish) size (think middle and lower Susquehanna SMB prior to Big Bass Regs), when populations have substantially declined overall due to fishing (think east coast striped bass), and when a special reg would be biologically necessary (think Bluegill populations that stunt when all or the vast majority of large Bluegill have been cropped off). There are also special situations for situations such as federally endangered and threatened species, e.g. Bull Trout. I don’t support the application of special regs for “social reasons” (think FFO) or for “educational purposes.” If volunteers wish to post signs encouraging anglers to return identify and release wild trout captured from stocked trout streams, I have no problem with that. In fact, I assisted a group that posted such signs on a stocked wild BT stream in York Co by switching the species stocked to 100% RT in an effort to aid stocked trout anglers with species I.D.

As I have mentioned in the past a number of special regs on Pa trout streams were historically likely established for political and social reasons and not biological reasons, such as some that were originally Fish For Fun Projects, and were then essentially grandfathered into another program. I think some regulation changes on specific waters could be beneficial and if one were to eliminate the C&R regs on all wild trout streams in Pa, it’s likely in my view that more populations would be properly managed than not when one considers BT limited vulnerability and the evolved voluntary C&R behavior of the modern angler. The Littlle J has too many small fish and could use some harvest in my opinion and that of a former colleague closely associated with that stream. Spring Creek would make a great comparative experiment if a portion of that stream was shifted to statewide regs. I can’t comment on Yellow Ck due to my unfamiliarity with that stream. As for Falling Springs that was primarily a RT stream when I used to survey it so if that’s still the case, then that’s a different thing entirely due to the vulnerability of RT to harvest (vs BT).

As for the newish slot limit, I consider that to be an anemic approach. I know of no paper published where slot limits designed to encourage harvest in order to speed up the growth of remaining fish in the harvestable slot has worked. If I missed some, then I’m pretty confident that the losers are still way ahead. In theory, however, the remaining faster growing fish quickly then grow through the harvestable slot into larger size classes that are protected from harvest. The failures, including those for largemouth bass, have been because anglers continued to ignore the slot in favor of C&R fishing. If Pa really wanted to encourage harvest and have a shot at an effective slot across a broader spectrum of streams, it would expand the creel limit to at least 5 within the slot. This would encourage the few anglers who still harvest wild trout from streams managed solely for wild trout to fish slot stretches, even if they were not often successful in harvesting 5. Instead we have this half-hearted, lower creel limit effort in encouraging harvest…by the fly and lure crowd no less. The Codorus, for example, is going to have to see a heck of a harvest to produce bigger fish of the size found outside of the special reg area (and the Monocacy, I suspect, is likely going to need some better habitat).

As for Letort, as a generality we often find that the bigger B T are outside of special reg areas on the same streams with sections managed under special regs and other sections managed under statewide regs. I understand the social and historical factors at work in the Letort, but if one were only to consider fish and fishing for a moment, the reg would be removed as being ineffective in producing big BT. The Letort has a much greater abundance of large BT outside of the special reg area.

Do I ever think that large BT need special regs? Possibly. I would never completely rule it out. Spring Ck would be the most interesting experimental test as I mentioned above because of the pressure that it receives. What would happen to the length distribution, the quality of the fishing, growth rates, mortality rates, and the abundance of desirable size BT if a long segment went to statewide regs in comparison to a long segment that remained C&R?

Last edited:
No, I don’t. I support special regs when the quality of the fishery has declined substantially usually due to cropping off of fish down to a certain small(ish) size (think middle and lower Susquehanna SMB prior to Big Bass Regs), when populations have substantially declined overall due to fishing (think east coast striped bass), and when a special reg would be biologically necessary (think Bluegill populations that stunt when all or the vast majority of large Bluegill have been cropped off). There are also special situations for endangered species. I also don’t support the application of special regs for “social reasons” (think FFO) or for “educational purposes.” If volunteers wish to post signs encouraging anglers to return identify and release wild trout captured from stocked trout streams, I have no problem with that. In fact, I assisted a group that posted such signs on a stocked wild BT stream in York Co by switching the species stocked to 100% RT in an effort to aid stocked trout anglers with species I.D.

As I have mentioned in the past a number of special regs on Pa trout streams were historically established for political and social reasons and not biological reasons. I think some regulation changes on specific waters could be beneficial and if one were to eliminate the C&R regs on all wild trout streams in Pa, it’s likely that more would populations be properly managed than not when one considers BT limited vulnerability and the evolved C&R behavior of the modern angler. The Littlle J has too many small fish and could use some harvest in my opinion and that of a former colleague closely associated with that stream. Spring Creek would make a great comparative experiment if a portion of that stream was shifted to statewide regs. I can’t comment on Yellow Ck due to my unfamiliarity with that stream. As for Falling Springs that was primarily a RT stream when I used to survey it so if that’s still the case, then that’s a different thing entirely due to the vulnerability of RT to harvest (vs BT).

As for the newish slot limit, I consider that to be an anemic approach. I know of no paper published where slot limits designed to encourage harvest in order to speed up the growth of remaining fish in the harvestable slot has worked. In theory, the remaining faster growing fish quickly then grow through the harvestable slot into larger size classes that are protected from harvest. The failures, including those for largemouth bass, have been because anglers continued to ignore the slot in favor of C&R fishing. If Pa really wanted to encourage harvest and have a shot at an effective slot, it would expand the creel limit to at least 5 within the slot. This would encourage the few anglers who still harvest wild trout from streams managed solely for wild trout to fish slot stretches. Instead we have this half-hearted effort in encouraging harvest.

As for Letort, as a generality we often find that the bigger B T are outside of special reg areas on the same streams with sections managed under special regs and other sections managed under statewide regs. I understand the social and historical factors at work in the Letort, but if one were only to consider fish and fishing, the reg would be removed as being ineffective in producing big BT. The Letort has a much greater abundance of large BT outside of the special reg area.

I think you’ll discover that the W Br Susq C&R reg, if it is still in place, was aimed at ST.
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree on the social/political justifications for regulations.

That is an interesting point on the signage. We've avoided language on signs that suggest anything not supported by regulations as a policy. Usually, with language like "please help protect wild native brook trout." We don't want to suggest a C&R regulation that doesn't exist.

I agree that larger BT seem to be more common outside of special regulation areas. I've avoided special regs areas for the last ten years or so for the most part for that exact reason. I always thought the LJR had better fish size structure than Spring.

I also agree that slot limit regs likely function as C&R regs. Either folks don't want to be bothered measuring fish, or it's not worth the hassle trying to catch fish in the slot. So it's hard to say the results are based on slot harvest vs outright C&R. It seems like PFBC had some solid data on Penns though.

Yellow Creek is an outlier. It's unique in that the stocked/Class A section is the special regs section and already C&R. We just lost a large portion of the remaining open water outside the special regs section. It will be interesting to see how that's handled with this proposal for a "two-tiered fishery." There are only about 1,200 feet of accessible water above the project now, and another tiny stretch above that. So they're stocking trout where you can't harvest them. It kind of shoots the whole "we stock them with the intent that people harvest them" argument in the foot.

I never understood the WB thing. I fished it pretty extensively in a lot of areas and only ever ran into a handful of brookies, and they were in places you'd expect (mouths of tribs). The vast majority of the water I fished was predominantly brown trout. The main stem is all BT. 4 of the tribs are BT, 3 are ST, and 1 is mixed. All three of the ST tribs are 100% posted as far as I was ever able to tell from trying to access them and running into a wall of yellow signs. So where you can actually legally fish, it's almost entirely BT. So the regs may have been applied to help ST too, but I'm not sure what good that is if you can't even fish for them.

I know the regs were touted for ST (and BT), but I just didn't see it in fishing results. Electrofishing results might have been quite different, but I never saw that translated into fishing results. Plenty of BT, and very, very few ST. I did catch some large stocked brook trout in one area one year that looked pretty good, but I know they were stocked (no idea where they came from, and I never saw them again). Between the access issues, the odd/unnatural environment, the odd/unnatural stream conditions, large stretches of "dead water," and better options closer by, I gave up on it pretty quickly. It's such an odd place.

I appreciate your respectful disagreement. It’s sad that I have to say that here.

I did not comment, but clearly you already knew the details of the W Br reg. It is my understanding as well that ST are pretty much limited to the “headwaters.”

I won’t comment on the Penn’s study.

Regarding the posters suggesting that anglers consider returning wild BT to the SBr Muddy Ck within the stocked trout section, I don’t recall the exact wording, but there was no suggestion that there was a regulation requiring anglers to do so. You may be able to get someone from Muddy Ck TU to send you a photo of one of the posters. When I did an opening day angler use count there, a couple anglers, maybe three, even asked me how to distinguish a wild BT from a stocked BT. I assume their intent was to cooperate. It was after that when I switched the stocking to 100% RT in order to assist with distinguishing stocked from wild BT. I also appreciated at the time that these posters were limited to the S Br, the stocked stream section within the greater Muddy Ck basin with the best wild BT population. It also has a long Class A section upstream from the stocked section.

I appreciate your respectful disagreement. It’s sad that I have to say that here.

I did not comment, but clearly you already knew the details of the W Br reg. It is my understanding as well that ST are pretty much limited to the “headwaters.”

Regarding the posters suggesting that anglers consider returning wild BT to the SBr Muddy Ck within the stocked trout section, I don’t recall the exact wording, but there was no suggestion that there was a regulation requiring anglers to do so. You may be able to get someone from Muddy Ck TU to send you a photo of one of the posters. When I did an opening day angler use count there, a couple anglers, maybe three, even asked me how to distinguish a wild BT from a stocked BT. I assume their intent was to cooperate. It was after that when I switched the stocking to 100% RT in order to assist with distinguishing stocked from wild BT. I also appreciated at the time that these posters were limited to the S Br, the stocked stream section within the greater Muddy Ck basin with the best wild BT population. It also has a long Class A section upstream from the stocked section.
I recall seeing those signs at one point. I think we're just concerned that anything that suggests anglers take any action that isn't supported by regs could get us in trouble. So we just stick with "informational" signs to be safe.

with DCNR’s stated goal of protecting and promoting native biodiversity on. State forests and state parks I have always wondered about informational signage on native and invasive species in those areas.

Back