for the musky guys

Osprey, i use a bait caster for sure, actually putting together another outfit this year. I also cast long distance from shore with an Alvey setup, some days 200 yard cast. Susky should have fish better than 60" some where. 30" is considered small to average. You got to go out for them..

Milletime, I have nothing else to do except run the fly shop, and take care of home. Its a snap some days. I invent too, when I tack a break from fishin...some people just have to much time...

i think he meant a 30 inch smallmouth

sand

while those might turn some heads... they will also get a good amount of short strikes.
your material appears to have hard edges and straight cuts... work on keeping a more tapered look. They all look a bit dense, have you casted them? maybe look for some material (EP or yak) that will give a nice profile with less bulk. Also a wire loop hook guard off the bend will keep material from fouling.

good start though

YAH MON............i meant a 30" smallmouth , there is porably a 72" musky out there.

There is a hole right above Liverpool off of rts 11 & 15 right out from ADA's tavern it's 30' Deep i saw one there once i thought was an alligator , sand if you fish for them that would be a great place to try there are many deeeeep holes and ledges. I"M talkin about musky here not smallies, another place i saw a huge one is right above the rt30 bridge before Breezewood , the area is called juniata crossings , rt30 crosses the Raystown br there , it's slow and deep.

Ram........yer a++holes itchy.

i thought i was offering help...

he posted some flies for feedback

or is "feedback" on the site never supposed to be honest or helpful?

THAT was definatly criticism , undeserved criticism at that , it's ok to think you're better than everyone else on here. Maybe what ya should do is start yer own religion.

while those might turn some heads... they will also get a good amount of short strikes.[/quote ]
never had a short from them been tyin them for 30 years dude.
I use ep but it gets tangled alot and you have to comb it out. Tarpon stlye flies that I use do not get all tangled up. Yup I fish them for years now. even up to 15" long. I started on muskies with the long rod in the 70's on Lake nockimixon and the Delaware. I have used mono loops on my muskie, tarpon flies but not all the time. Muskies don't care if it has a straight cut or tapered or even a mullet, they like them. Oh yeah so do Peacock Bass...

Peacock Bass........now we're talking. Never did it but the Amazon might just be where i end up , couple a cute lil honeys and a nice lil garden near the river , fish evry day , can you eat monkey?

well i guess i was wrong

looking at the first post i assumed they were your first attempts... so i offered some help

i wasn't refering to a weedless mono loop
rather a wire loop, perpendicular to the hook plane
this will help keep materials from fouling

Ramcatt,
Sandfly is among the most experienced (maybe THE most experienced) fly tiers and fly fishermen on this forum. I'm sure it was an honest critique however, as we do get a lot of new tiers on this forum seeking constructive criticism. No harm, no foul as the saying goes.

Osprey,
30" smallmouth? 72" musky?
The all tackle world records for these species are smaller than these lengths but....
Ah yes, ya gotta love an optimist. :-D

Even though Bob can really throw the B/S he is trouthful in what he is talking about
I have known him for over 30 yrs and even though he is part indian he does not talk with a forked tongue !
So listen and observe what he says and does !

beadhead2 wrote:
Even though Bob can really throw the B/S he is trouthful in what he is talking about
[color=CC0000]I have known him for over 30 yrs and even though he is part indian he does not talk with a forked tongue ![/color]
So listen and observe what he says and does !

In all the cowboy and indian movies I saw, it was always the white man that spoke with a forked tongue.... :cry: ;-)

Bead,
I'm assuming Bob is "Osprey" rather than a different poster on this thread...

Anyway, my comment about "ya gotta love an optimist" was merely an effort to make light of what are clearly fish size exaggerations. I certainly didn't mean to impugn Osprey's integrity - as your post seems to imply. He's a great contributor to this forum and I enjoy his friendly and insightful posts. His ethnic heritage is irrelevant to this issue. YOU are the one claiming that he can "really throw the BS."

However, the world records for smallmouth bass and muskellunge, while currently in some dispute over particular fish, are in the range of 27" and 60" respectively. Sure, there are smallies over 20" and muskies over 50" in the Susky but I stand by my comment regarding the realistic sizes of these game fish.

I think Bob is Sandfly...or at least that is how I was introduced to him at a Jam.

Aw heck (sound of hand slapping head).

Bad assumption on my part. NOTE: Sometimes it's best to use quote function or refer to folks by their forum rather than actual name to avoid such misunderstanding. I would humbly request folks ignore my previous post - state of confusion. My apologies to beadhead.

Anyway, it's off to the woodshed for yours truly for a whippin with a 6 WT fly rod blank, fast action (man, I hate this treatment, hurts like heck).

:)

Fishidiot..........I am not Bob , but throwing the b/s? I'll go up against anyone on that. Having said that , the 30" smallmouth i'm pretty honest to god certain about that (27" is the record i think , so why is three more inches such a stretch?) now the 72" musky may fall into the other category heh. Seriously though , on Nat Geo "Monster Fish" they found the skeletal remains of a jaw bone and had this sculptor try and recreate the fish in sculpture , using the jaw bone as a reference point , if i remember correctly it was well over 6' , the jaw bone was found somewhere in Michigan i believe , i have seen some huge musky in the area around Liverpool but i never actually went out with the intention of targeting them , usually saw them while floating the susk for smallmouth. Don't feel bad , stay out of that woodshed , about doubting me , to a person every river rat i ever told about that fish said i was hallucinating , but i saw what i saw.

I am the Sandfly/Bob, owner of big meadows fly shop. Been in the buisness for over 40 years.

Back