Flying with Your Fly Fishing Gear

afishinado wrote: +1 ^ many anglers have been using that type of bag to carry all their essential gear on flights all over the globe. If by chance when you board the plane and all the overheads are full, you can check it with the flight attendant (that's why I keep the rods in the case in their tubes). At least you know your stuff is on the plane with you, and still safe. Also, if you carry a rod tube and are forced to check it, chances are the round tube will roll off the baggage cart or conveyors or maybe the baggage handlers are FFing aficionados. Finally, if you carry just a rod tube, it doesn't do you much good if you and your rod are in Alaska, but your reels, fly boxes and other fishing essentials are in Atlanta.

Franklin wrote I do a lot of business travel and am somewhat surprised to hear that people aren't having issues traveling with that bag.

yes
that bag will only lay long ways in an empty over head bin... "empty over head bins" dont exist
you can beat people on the plane and "lay claim" but that won't go over well. Those types of bags won't fit in a bin with other roller boards, especially on many of the new overhead configs where roller boards are stacked on their sides (there is no room above to lay long items)

IMO "gate checking" to final destination is worst than regular check... your article is not in the correct bin/load order and added after the plane is fully loaded, lots of room for error. If you have a tight connection/delay/ect = your stuff won't make it

i've never had issues with carrying on rod tube(s) along with a carry on bag and a smaller bag.

my approach - i have everything with me that i will need for at least 2 days of fishing... rods/reels/flies/lines/waders/boots/jacket/camera/clothes

its all personal preference and developing your own system
I don't ever want to leave the success of my trip or my stress level in the hands of other people

Rollingdog wrote:
I'd be extremely warry of the case in the video.
In most smaller planes/ domestic flights you might be hard pressed to fit that in an over head bin

Rod tubes are MUCH easy since they can go in bins that are packed with the rollerboards... but that case looks like it will need a lot more bin space... which usually isn't available on moderately full flights unless you have some stauts for premium boarding

this is the reason I just bind two tubes together and carry them on - even on small planes, they fit at the back of the bin across ways.

but I do always travel AA and with the Credit Card I get priority boarding - if people can't fit their rollaway in with it, its tough on them, soft bags, back packs, coats etc can still go in there.

check the aircraft before you travel - 777, 767, A320, A321 should all be fine - with a Bombardier or Embraer, you likely will have a space sharing issue.

should you find yourself with a problem - nicely ask the stewardess if the case could go behind one of the rows or in their uniform lockers. they always say yes if you are polite - I've stowed wedding suits, hockey sticks, a Borneon blow pipe, all sorts of stuff back there.

I also always always get to the airport super early when travelling with fishing gear - just in case check in or the TSA or the flight crew have an issue with the rods.

cheers

Mark.

I flew in October with my gear. I carried on one rod in a tube. I usually get a window seat and keep my rod tube between my leg and the side of the plane. Never had an issue.

One thing I learned is to have a strap on the rode tube so I can shoulder it. This way I never lay it down risking someone stepping on it. It helps when your in the men's room and walking around the airport.

I also carried on my reels and a few other things in my small backpack. The back pack stayed with me at my seat also.

Everything else, boots, waders, vest, flies etc all got packed away in my checked luggage.

One thing I have learned from flying is not to put spray suntan lotion or other large bottles of stuff in my checked luggage. It's sure to get opened up and checked when they X-ray the bag. I just buy it when I get to my destination and don't take it back with me.

Another thing I do if I have to go through customs is put my underwear laid out right on top. Going to and back. It might sound silly but I seam to always get checked and once I started doing this and they open up the bag you get to see their look on their face and they don't spend much time in there. Lol.

Geebee's post is very accurate assement based on my experience. I have never had any trouble carrying on rod tubes in addition to a regular carry on bag. Occasionally you'll need the help of a stewardess as he describes but it really isn't a big deal.

BTW, in my experience, half the carry on I see going into the overhead is outside of the guidelines that the airlines publish anyway. Lots of big duffles, guitar cases and other weird stuff. A four piece rod should go on without much attention to it.. Have even seen a lot of two piece rods coming aboard on flights into and out of Bozeman. I probably wouldn't push my luck in that regard, but the point is that there is leniency.

Kev

I flew into Cody WY a couple years ago. I think everybody on that plane had a rod case as a carry on.

I've flown to MT & ID out of Harrisburg a couple times over the last few years and haven't had any issues carrying on two piece cane rods. 50" cordura covered tube from Bass Pro will hold 3 or 4 rods comfortably. Other carry ons are a duffel for the overhead with reels, flies, boots & waders and then a daypack under the seat with all the electronics; camera gear, laptop, chargers. Haven't been hassled about the rod tube yet for it being an 'extra' carry on. Make sure to que up early for seating and find the closest open overhead, rod tubes fit down in that back cubby corner the big bags can't occupy, almost like it was by design.

As others have said, any gear you don't want to lose, don't check. Carry on as much as you can.

To further UncleShorty's post, I just returned from UPS having posted my FFing gear with them for an upcoming flight to Boise. I visit my son out there every year and we always find time to do some fishing. I always fly with my gear but this year I have sent most of it UPS ground. It is supposed to arrive the day before I do. I sent my vest (minus fly boxes), my boots, my waders, a tiny landing net and my Folstaf. The total weight was 12.8lbs. The fees were: $29.62 shipping, $10.00 insurance (I got $600.00 insurance), $1.33 fuel surcharge and $.20 processing fee. The total was $41.15.
As in previous years I will carry my fly boxes and reels in a backpack.
My brand-new Helios2 will be in it's case inside a woven "gun sock.' I expect to have to take the rod out of the case for inspection.
I just wanted you folks to have some idea of the charges for using UPS.
When I return I'll update you if anything "interesting' should occur.

Back