Flying with Your Fly Fishing Gear

mcneishm

mcneishm

My wife and I will be doing an early Fall (2 weeks, mid-September) trip to Utah. Specifically, we will be in Heber City, UT. The Provo River runs through the valley there. We went there last year about mid-August. It's beautiful water but it took me most of the week to figure it out before I finally cashed in on a couple of beautiful browns. Last year, our stop in Utah was part of a marathon drive across country so having my fishing stuff with us in the car was not a problem. However, this year, we are flying out. I'm not yet sure where we'll fly to. It seems more expensive to fly from the Lehigh Valley to Salt Lake City than to Las Vegas so we'll likely fly to Vegas, rent a car, and drive to Heber City. Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks are along the way, both worthwhile stopping places.

Anyway, we do not fly often. I used to enjoy it but despise flying for what it's become. My fly fishing gear does not require a steamer trunk to transport. I have a 4-piece rod, vest, wading shoes, waders, a rain jacket, and net. My waders are a pair of very old Red Ball waders that are light weight and roll up into a very small package. The bulkiest item would be my wading shoes. I could probably get the whole business, except probably the fly rod, into a carry on bag.

So, for those of you who have traveled with your fly fishing gear recently, what advice can you give? We will have our regular baggage of course, probably one bag each for my wife and I. Beyond that, I'll have my fishing stuff.

Also, any advice as to flies? Last year in August I did well on caddis and occasionally on various small mayflies. The locals put a lot of stock in scud patterns. Lots (tons and tons it seemed) of scud in the stream but I did not catch a single fish on the imitations I had.

other than the Utah Killer Bug for scuds, I can't help you with flies I'm afraid, but this is my normal flying set up :

1. carry 2 rod tubes onto the plane, bound together I can carry them by the handle.
2. small sports bag with all flies, reels, spools, leaders tippets, shot etc medications, guidebooks, maps, electrical stuff - chromebook, iphone, camera gps etc etc
3. small plastic bag in main checked bag - contains hemos, leatherman, firestarter knife, gink, clamp vice, hooks etc, feathers, hair etc
4. bin bag in main checked case - for waders and wading boots.

the rest of any stuff goes in the main bag - vest, net, rainjacket and a third 4 piece rod.

the TSA site specifically says that fly rods and gear can be taken on to the plane as it is considered 'delicate'. I print that out and keep it on me, just to head off any overzealous check in staff.

The TSA are pretty good, I have occasionally being quizzed on the two tubes bound together and I tell them its a rocket launcher for squirrels :-D

and of that subject - folks should be aware that the Priority security channels are no more. unless you have the TSA Pre-Check (which the TSA) charges you $85 for every 5 years, you are in the long queues now.

my last flight from PHL 3 weeks ago, the security queue was 2 1/4 hours so I dragged myself round to another terminal with a shorter queue of around 90 minutes.

plan accordingly - the TSA is warning of long queues this summer already. I did my TSA interview last week and am just waiting for the card now.

cheers

Mark.

Any chance you have a link to that TSA info?

sure :

http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=fishing%20lures

Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage

:)

Have you considered going with a guide instead? Not only will he supply you with everything you need but you'll get immediate direction on the river.

I went out West 2 winters ago to ski and wound up going out with a Guide one day from Trout Bum 2 in Park City. Best guide experience I've ever had, guide's name was Brenton.

Don't check anything you want to keep.

The TSA is not responsible for anything missing from your checked bag. The note they put in your luggage after they rifle it says so in plain English.

TSA agents and baggage handlers have carte blanc to take anything they want.

I always send my gear via UPS. Never had any problems.

I keep the rod tubes in the carry-it-on case. You can fit up to 3 tubes in the bag along with all your reels, fly boxes and misc gear.

I'm headed to Alaska in August, and my plan is to use a case like the one above. (I know where to get one at a good price...) Backpack for personal items for the flight itself and as much fly gear as possible in the travel case. A few rods, reels, boxes, tippet, etc. I'd rather have the things that are important on me at all times. I'll pack and check my waders, boots and vest/pack.

mcneishm. Check you PMs. I've flown into vegas and fished southern utah a few times. I think another forum member sixgun can probably help you also.

You've got some good advice on carrying your gear with the airlines.

As for what you should do for transit, I have made the exact run you are talking about and the transit to Vegas, followed by a rental car drive up is probably your best bet for airfare/overall cost. If you can stick to a midsize car or smaller, gas prices should be minimal.

The Provo is a nice river, but Utah browns should not be as hard to catch as they are on there. It is tough to fish there because, frankly, its too close to Provo/Ogdon/Salt lake City and gets hammered accordingly. The couple of days I spent up there fishing, I saw way too many guides, casting classes, fishermen etc. going on, and that left me a little disappointed. It may not seem excessively pressured by East Coast standards, but I can assure you that Utah offers WAY more secluded and productive trout streams and lakes if you have some drive time available. That said, there was an AMAZING caddis hatch that went down in August 2014, just as the sun was going down the night I arrived to camp. I'm talking hundreds of fish, some leaping clear out of the water a few feet in front of me to feed, willingly taking a half-beaten up caddis dry that I happen to have on hand at the right time. I waded out there by the light of dusk and caught a few nice ones.

If you have some time, shoot me a PM with contact info and I'll be glad to help you find some more options for fishing out there.

Oh, and as for flies, it goes without saying that various caddis dries and emerger patterns are a must. I consider several sizes of parachute Adams and renegades in smaller and medium sizes (sizes 14 - 18) to be essential, too. They look like nothing in particular out there, but you have to remember that a lot of places you fish in Utah see very little pressure compared to PA. the fish are generally going to be much more willing to play, even on larger dries and heavier tippets.

Another dry that I have had very good luck with in certain streams were yellow and orange stimulators, along with Au Sable Wulff flies in sizes 14 and 16. If you prefer to go subsurface, a lot of your standards like hare's ear and prince nymphs have worked well for me, but do NOT leave home with out your tried and true black, olive and even purple woolly buggers. I can't tell you how many fish I have caught with a simple, dead-drifted bugger in stained water out there.

I'd be extremely warry of the case in the video.
In most smaller planes/ domestic flights you might be hard pressed to fit that in an over head bin

Rod tubes are MUCH easy since they can go in bins that are packed with the rollerboards... but that case looks like it will need a lot more bin space... which usually isn't available on moderately full flights unless you have some stauts for premium boarding

Six-Gun wrote:
You've got some good advice on carrying your gear with the airlines.

As for what you should do for transit, I have made the exact run you are talking about and the transit to Vegas, followed by a rental car drive up is probably your best bet for airfare/overall cost. If you can stick to a midsize car or smaller, gas prices should be minimal.

The Provo is a nice river, but Utah browns should not be as hard to catch as they are on there. It is tough to fish there because, frankly, its too close to Provo/Ogdon/Salt lake City and gets hammered accordingly. The couple of days I spent up there fishing, I saw way too many guides, casting classes, fishermen etc. going on, and that left me a little disappointed. It may not seem excessively pressured by East Coast standards, but I can assure you that Utah offers WAY more secluded and productive trout streams and lakes if you have some drive time available.

This is 100% correct

moon1284 wrote:
This is 100% correct

I'm glad to see another forum member on here has noticed the same. Don't get me wrong: I caught some fish outside of that hatch on the Provo, but I was not at all impressed given my overall catch rate and how many great miles of streams in south central Utah you have to pass to get to it. That time of year that he's going there, I can think of a few other streams I would rather see him fish that are significantly closer to Vegas and a see a fraction of the pressure that the Provo does.

Rollingdog wrote:
In most smaller planes/ domestic flights you might be hard pressed to fit that in an over head bin

Rod tubes are MUCH easy since they can go in bins that are packed with the rollerboards... but that case looks like it will need a lot more bin space... which usually isn't available on moderately full flights unless you have some stauts for premium boarding

It should be fine. My wife and I have been using that case for years without any problems. Just be sure your multi-piece rods fit in it.

I have flown to Alaska twice recently to visit my daughter. I packed my waders, boots, reels, etc. in a regular suitcase. I carried my rod onto all airplanes. I never had any issues.

Rolf wrote:
Rollingdog wrote:

It should be fine. My wife and I have been using that case for years without any problems. Just be sure your multi-piece rods fit in it.

+1 ^ many anglers have been using that type of bag to carry all their essential gear on flights all over the globe.

If by chance when you board the plane and all the overheads are full, you can check it with the flight attendant (that's why I keep the rods in the case in their tubes). At least you know your stuff is on the plane with you, and still safe.

Also, if you carry a rod tube and are forced to check it, chances are the round tube will roll off the baggage cart or conveyors or maybe the baggage handlers are FFing aficionados.

Finally, if you carry just a rod tube, it doesn't do you much good if you and your rod are in Alaska, but your reels, fly boxes and other fishing essentials are in Atlanta.

Yo mcn - sounds like a most bodacious trip coming up. 6-gun has very good advice there too for you. The one (little) tidbit I can contribute is to watch the weight of your (wet) wading shoes on the trip back. US airlines have weight limits on checked luggage, and penalties for going over weight can be costly. Carryons in the US have no weight limits, just size limits.

Fortunately, the Rockies, especially at altitude, are very low humidity. There have been a few times when I held my wet boots out the car window at 75mph on the way back to the airport to drop their weight.

PS - another extreme traveler trick is to pack old underwear and clothes and just recycle or trash them once there, rather than bring them home.

afishinado wrote:

+1 ^ many anglers have been using that type of bag to carry all their essential gear on flights all over the globe.

If by chance when you board the plane and all the overheads are full, you can check it with the flight attendant (that's why I keep the rods in the case in their tubes). At least you know your stuff is on the plane with you, and still safe.

Also, if you carry a rod tube and are forced to check it, chances are the round tube will roll off the baggage cart or conveyors or maybe the baggage handlers are FFing aficionados.

Finally, if you carry just a rod tube, it doesn't do you much good if you and your rod are in Alaska, but your reels, fly boxes and other fishing essentials are in Atlanta.

I do a lot of business travel and am somewhat surprised to hear that people aren't having issues traveling with that bag.

I'm in a situation where I'll be traveling to fish the Jackson/Yellowstone area this summer through Salt Lake City. I am joining up with someone making the trip by road in an RV. So much of my gear can go in that. The RV is staying until December so whatever I don't bring back stays till then.

I will also arrive a few days early so am thinking of taking 1 rod, reel, and subset of flies on the airline.

I do have one suggestion if taking a rod tube, don't take the original tube if it has an expensive sounding rod company name. Sage, Winston, etc screams steal me if you are forced to check.

lestrout wrote:
Yo mcn - sounds like a most bodacious trip coming up. 6-gun has very good advice there too for you. The one (little) tidbit I can contribute is to watch the weight of your (wet) wading shoes on the trip back. US airlines have weight limits on checked luggage, and penalties for going over weight can be costly. Carryons in the US have no weight limits, just size limits.

Fortunately, the Rockies, especially at altitude, are very low humidity. There have been a few times when I held my wet boots out the car window at 75mph on the way back to the airport to drop their weight.

PS - another extreme traveler trick is to pack old underwear and clothes and just recycle or trash them once there, rather than bring them home.

^^This is great info and something definitely worth considering. I have definitely been there with wet gear issue and time bearing down before I have to pack/board a flight. Water weight can be excessive if you fish late the night before you depart with no plan to deal with it.

As lestrout pointed out, Utah is basically a desert state, so drying your gear, especially if you can get it in the sun at altitude, takes a fraction of the time that it does in the Northeast. Just be sure you do it if you plan to check you gear or the fees can definitely be brutal.

Back