Flyfishing Jackson Hole, Wyoming

A

albertw27

Hi,

I'm contemplating a trip out west to Wyoming and wanted to see if anyone has been and has recommendations on where to go as well as guides.

Many thanks,
Albert

Jackson Hole Ain't Cheap . Great area to fish , expensive though . If your heart is set on Jackson Hole there are a few flyshops in town all run guides .High Country Flies is one .

I've had great experiences with World Cast Anglers. They are located in the Orvis store in Jackson and also have a shop in Victor, ID. I highly recommend floating the South Fork with World Cast. If you are on foot and alone, you'll be able to fish the Snake river tributaries easily (Gros Ventre, Granite Creek, Flat Creek). The Snake is big water, you can fish on foot in some places, but it is best to float that river. Flat Creek is really cool in the Elk Refuge, if its open. I think it opens 8/1, you'll need to confirm. Flat Creek is technical spring creek type fishing for big weary cutthroats. I also suggest getting the Fly Fisher's Guide to Wyoming and go explore. In my experience, if you catch fish on the streams in PA, you'll do fine on your own out West. Even the most technical and notoriously difficult fisheries out West seem easier to fish than places like Penns Creek or the Letort. Use the guide trip for a float on one of the larger waters. When I go, I get the float trips in at the beginning and ask the guide questions about where to go when I'm on my own for the rest of the trip. Guides normally seem very happy to point clients in the right direction. Good luck!

Above is excellent information

https://grandfishing.com/

Those guys have exclusive access to a nice stretch of fish creek on a private ranch in between Jackson and Teton village. Great fishing...huge cut throat and lots of them. Recommend two full days as it’s a lot of water to cover in one day. They also do drifts down the snake which is beautiful and the fishing can be pretty good as well. Flat creek is great also but that doesn’t open to august if I recall correctly. You can spend days fishing flat creek. And Jenny lake can be really good as well if you want to fish gin clear still water. On the north west side of the lake there is a huge Boulder you can climb up on and sight cast to cruising fish. Tons of fun. The problem is landing them...you actually want a long distance release from that spot...easier than climbing down and risking injury or breaking a rod. I’ve always wanted to fish the gros ventre but haven’t had the chance yet. Enjoy!

Back