FlyFishing Full Retail

T

Tiogadog

Simple question:

What flyfishing do you feel comfortable paying full msrp retail price for?

Looking at my insane amount of gear I think I pay full price for tippet, split shot, and floatant. Every rod, reel, and probably line was purchased while on close out. Waders , boots and fly boxes as well.

This genesis of this question is that I need to buy new tippet both mono and Fluoro and realized just how relatively expensive that stuff is. I will still buy it though.

Thoughts?

Why would you pay retail for anything ? If not walk away.

Always ask for a discount
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/515/good-guys

Try Sierra Trading post for some good closeout deals on Tippets and leaders.

There are enough sales where paying full price is foolish. I prefer paying as little as possible but at times I succumb to impulse.

I'm particular about what I use so I shop for specific items not prices. If I can find them cheaper that's great, if not at least I know what I'm paying for. When something is on sale that I use, I always buy more than one. I'd rather not fish than use gear I don't have confidence in.

Buy fluro. mono. for spinning reels, I use It .It s ten bucks or less for 200 to 250 yards. also get a jar of Alboline (sp} at the drug store, less than ten bucks for a lifetime supply. a great floatant.

I feel like tippet and floatant are the two default items I usually buy when I stop in a shop for advice. At that point, I have no qualms with paying full price.

I guess when it comes to getting the gear you want at the price you want patience is probably the key. If you really like a new rod and must have it, just wait two years until it is on closeout at 40% off.

gentleshepherd wrote:
Try Sierra Trading post for some good closeout deals on Tippets and leaders.

+1

Fully stocked on mono at about $1.80 a roll and fluoro at about $5.00 a roll, from STP. And a full range of leaders too. Hit or miss at any given time, but if you hit when they first list stuff, usually all sizes are available.

You can buy top level equipment at some well stocked fly shops and save a ton of money, half price is usualy the norm.

Ebay everything. Used Rods and reels. I make some of my own leaders with spinning line. I use tapered leaders from ebay/1.97 ones from walmart. I'm always on the look out for deals or how to DIY. I often tell my wife someday I'm going to walk into a Fly Shop and buy a brand new rod/reel/line but it will never happen.

We buy things at retail to keep fly shops in business. We're constantly lamenting the closing of a fly shop yet bargain hunting and undercutting everything. I understand needing to save money, I do. But going the route of places like sierra trading post and whatnot just feeds into the cycle of places that we love closing due to lack of business. Just something to think about.

Recently I have been looking for a fishing lanyard. I went to my local fly shop. They wanted 40 bucks for some 550 cord and some snaps. Internet search anywhere from 15 bucks to 55 bucks for the same garbage. I ended up going to walmart and bought two 18 feet hanks of 550 cord for $1.94 each. I already had the snaps. I made 2 bicolored lanyards for me and my friend for 4 bucks worth of 550 cord. Added a tippet bar so that cost me another dollar. If i had to buy the snaps i guess that would have up the cost by another 2 bucks. I'm not paying 20 times more then I need to for nothing.

I'm frugal and/or cheap. I want deals, hot deals. If I can, I prefer making my own stuff. I tie my own flies, pour my own lead, paint and tie my own bucktails and teasers, and I make my own leaders. I don't own a fly rod that i paid more than 150 bucks for and I have no idea what that "new car smell" smells like. Applied to all things in life this is why I was able to pay cash for two kids college educations and will retire relatively young all on a working mans salary. Having A local fly shop is not on my list of things that matter.

poopdeck, ya got your groove on.

808, my thoughts exactly.

Don't buy tippet from a FF retailer, get a full roll of it at Wally World. You can buy 100 yards pretty cheap.

Ditto 808. Being a self employed machinist and die maker, I just wish everyone would run their own business for just one year and then tell me how easy it is. I may make less money than most but I've got more freedom than most.

With tippet you need to make sure it's fresh so I usually pay full retail. I never pay for floro, mOno works fin for me on trout, steelhead, bass. Maybe in the salt, floro is worth it. Just my opinion. With rods, if your buying new, many of the manufactures are price pertected. I look for sales, but usually, when I decide I want something I buy it...then I seek it in the house.

808transport wrote:
We buy things at retail to keep fly shops in business. We're constantly lamenting the closing of a fly shop yet bargain hunting and undercutting everything. I understand needing to save money, I do. But going the route of places like sierra trading post and whatnot just feeds into the cycle of places that we love closing due to lack of business. Just something to think about.

thank you sir !

Made my first fishing roadtrip of the year on Friday...left my boots at home, oops. Bought a new pair from TCO, happy birthday to me and no regrets about paying full price while supporting a local shop.

808transplant wrote: We buy things at retail to keep fly shops in business. We're constantly lamenting the closing of a fly shop yet bargain hunting and undercutting everything. I understand needing to save money, I do. But going the route of places like sierra trading post and whatnot just feeds into the cycle of places that we love closing due to lack of business. Just something to think about.

+1,000,000

Think about how many shop owners and/or business persons post here, providing insight and advice for free. Think about how that advice helped "you" move from noob to novice to... and so on. Now think about the effect of relentlessly searching out the lowest price.

EG

Back