Fly Tying Walt's Worm

I have never tied nor fished a Walt's Worm. I decided to tie a half dozen for a trip to Spring Creek last Friday. Well I must say it is an effective pattern. I caught my first EVER trout during the month of January and the first for 2012 on this simple fly. I think I will have to add this pattern to my arsenal.

WTT, they are very effective on Spring creeks. Atleast in the small amount of fly fishing experience I have. It was still outfished 6-1 by dubbing on a hook cress bug on Spring, but it works.

SBecker wrote:
WTT, they are very effective on Spring creeks. Atleast in the small amount of fly fishing experience I have. It was still outfished 6-1 by dubbing on a hook cress bug on Spring, but it works.[/quote] Cress Bugs are very effective, I agree 100%.

SBecker wrote:
WTT, they are very effective on Spring creeks. Atleast in the small amount of fly fishing experience I have. It was still outfished 6-1 by dubbing on a hook cress bug on Spring, but it works.

"dubbing on a hook" is my walts worm :)

How about Frank Sawyer's killer bug? Pretty much the same thing as Walt's worm... except you can't buy the original wool.

e_310-1.jpg

I like to blend a few dubbings for walt's worm to create something grayish / tannish with a pink tinge. Mostly I use the natural gray SLF squirrel dubbing mixed with a bit of rainbow sow-scud dubbing.

You can get a substitute chadwicks 477 from england ;google it. I bought some a while back can't remember name of supplier, and it works.

walts worm ala chadwicks

Attachments

• 11-7-2010 019.jpg
    11-7-2010 019.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 11-7-2010 018.jpg
    11-7-2010 018.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4
Performance Flies has the yarm.

http://www.performanceflies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=197

not even close to it, sorry..the color is not made by any company anymore..one card of chadwicks goes for 50 - 100.00 easy..

sandfly wrote:
not even close to it, sorry..the color is not made by any company anymore..one card of chadwicks goes for 50 - 100.00 easy..

do the feeeshies care?

Just wondering, does everyone tie them fat like that? I'm not being critical, I'm sking because I thought I'd tie some and want to know the preference.

sandfly wrote:

Just thought you would be interested..... http://www.funkyflytying.co.uk/shop/categories/chadwicks-477-genuine-original-wool/41/

Should I buy a bunch of this and sell it on eBay, such it is going for so much on there?

SBecker,
I believe the saying goes "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Chadwick's sells for as much or more in the UK. Nobody who knows what it is sells it for a few pounds.

Lol I was just joking. I could not see that little bit of material could go for that high on the net.

thats only 1/2 meter right around 1 1/2 feet in lenth. Normal cards are 3 to 5 meters in lengh.

midnightangler wrote:
How about Frank Sawyer's killer bug? Pretty much the same thing as Walt's worm... except you can't buy the original wool.

e_310-1.jpg

I like to blend a few dubbings for walt's worm to create something grayish / tannish with a pink tinge. Mostly I use the natural gray SLF squirrel dubbing mixed with a bit of rainbow sow-scud dubbing.

wool.jpg

I found this at a place in center Hall called the quilters attic I believe. Took a bit of searching to find the right stuff, the key is what it looks like when wet. The material should have a dark redish light brown/tanny appearance to it. The woman that owned the shop ( now closed ) was very understanding to my plight, even to the point of letting me cut off a piece and dip it in a cup of water, it is 100% wool and when it gets wet it gets darker. It might not look like it ( dry )but this is a very good match to the color that Frank Sawyer used. I tied some and the first time I fished it I caught three trout without taking a step, and I was on a small stream with wild browns in it about five feet wide. Needless to say I was excited about this fly, killer bug seemed a good name...

Well that's a bummer the pic did not show.

wool.jpg

Not having a good day

I take it photobucket is not a good way to import pics here?

I THINK you have to lower case the IMG

wool.jpg

Ok there it is.Thanks Sbecker

Hi Guys
Just joined after seeing that you had put a link of my website up.
Just to let you know that it is genuine Chadwicks and i buy up cards as and when i can and offer them at the price i do so people get the chance to use something genuine without paying for a full card.
I only have a couple of pieces left.
I am going to have a scout round the form and hope that i can contribute to it in a small way
T

Back