fly tying setup question

I tie on top the table in the den with my base I have been designing. Keep my materials in a few of those multi level beens on wheels at walmart. roll the material back under the table and put the chairs around it, cant see it. I keep a lot of materials for common flies in their own little ziplock bags so I can just pull out a bag, and have everything I need for a specific fly. Makes clean up and messes very easy.

I hope to have a flytying man cave some day, and plan on either converting my shed or building a man cave and set it up in the back 40.

Here's a pic of my tying area showing the current reality, not in the still unpacking stage of moving in shown previously. The Renzetti vice and rubbery tool caddy pretty much live on top of the desk this time of year (they get stored but kept handy when I'm not regularly tying), mat'ls are stored underneath in their bins and a small wire mesh rolling filer I picked up at OfficeMax, which can just be seen under the desk. Also have one of the desk drawers filled with threads, dubbings and other small packs of supplies. Like WG, this is also my computer desk, but it's big enough to just push the keyboard forward, lay down a sheet of paper for a backdrop, move the lamp and grab the vice, stream some Netflix or Hulu off the interwebz, ready to go...

DSC_4666-L.jpg

ok, no idea why the image won't display, here's the direct link:

http://tomi.smugmug.com/Architecture/grande-tour/i-F6Jxp7B/0/L/DSC_4666-L.jpg

Rather than have a dedicated desk for fly tying, I keep tying stuff in a closet in plastic bins. Stored on top of them is a portable little table I built with vise and gear. This little table sits in my lap and I tie on the living room couch in front of the TV....and put the stuff back in the closet when I'm done.

I have a dedicated room (the "fish room" as my wife calls it) with a fly tying desk and rod building desk sitting on the opposite side. I also have a rod tube rack to store rods.

My fly tying desk is actually a computer desk with a flip down sliding drawer just below the desktop made for a keyboard. I like it because it allows for a two tier area for tying. I have a homemade workstation on top that holds my vise, threads, wire, etc. My tools sit and materials for the fly sit on the second tier (the slide out drawer). Everything is laid out within reach. When I done tying I flip up the drawer and close it, hiding my mess.

I clamp my vise to the work station which gives me a lot of room for the bobbin to hang down - especially handy when applying dubbing.

I place materials in plastic ziplock bags, label them and store them in the hanging file folders that come with the desk. Also, I insert my dubbing mixes in clear business card sheets that can be bought at an office supply store and store them in binders. These can be labeled and also put into the file cabinet drawer.

Works well for me.

I have a heated barn tha t is separate from the house b ut its more like a spot where I tie and store gear and tools. Its good and vad becayse it uses a wood burning stove to heat it but with a space heater you takes about an hour to get warm.

Definitely not a neat hobny at least for me. If you are organized I don't see where you are limited to. Just find a table in the house and take it over with tying materials. Dogd like natural materials like bucktail rabbit mask so watch out.

I have a Flambeau Brush Guard Front loader. the top houses my vise, feathers and hair. The top drawer contains rubber legs and dubbing. The middle tray holds thread, wire and rib. The bottom holds tools, hooks, eyes, dumbells, beadheads, cement. I am a travelling RN so I can take this anywhere I go and setup wherever I like (usually kitchen table) tie what I will for a session and pack it all up again. I usually pick one fly, tie half dozen or so and pack it up for the day. Doesn't sound like much but it's 30 flies/week so by the time fishing gets going I have around 360 flies tied in the winter.

I have a wood shop affectionately known as the New Yankee Workshop in the garage a Laboratory in the basement, and a smelting operation in the shed. I have set up my fly tying in the laboratory complete with peg board and an old tackle box for organization.

What I do is I set up a portable tying desk on a folding TV tray table in my den in front of the 55" flat screen with my laptop at my right hand. I determine what I'm going to tie and then use a small plastic bin to pick stuff off the pegboard and carry upstairs to the den. I find this more comfortable and relaxing while still affording me maximum interaction with the family, Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, and American Idol (the wife likes to watch this)

Fishidiot - So that's not cat hair on the couch?

Does anyone out there use their pets fur or feathers? When we had a rabbit, i used the sheddings. May he RIP - he was a cool, intellegent, fun to play with family member.

I purchased a small work station from harbor freight and plan ou using it. Thanks to all. This will be my first attempt at a dedicated tying station.

The more I tie, the more I will expand

My tying set up is in the bsmt. It's a permanent room that doubles as a hunting room as well. All of my materials I keep in the plastic containers of like size on a set of shelves I got from a yard sale. 4"x6"x12", 4"x8"x12",and 6"x10"x14" are the sizes, you can really put a lot of stuff in those babies. All of the smaller and or like sized bags/containers are segregated into zip-loc bags in the containers, makes for speedy location of materials when you've got those bins crammed full. And believe me you can really stuff those things full.

Mine is the dining room converted to a tying room/ fly shop. which will one day be either in a converted room in garage or a separate building out at driveway... Goto move when the next wife moves in......

...just in case inspiration comes to me in a dream or something...

ive had that before but it wasnt about tying flies :lol:

sandfly wrote:
Mine is the dining room converted to a tying room/ fly shop. which will one day be either in a converted room in garage or a separate building out at driveway... Goto move when the next wife moves in......
Find one that ff's and save yourself the trouble of the move. I know that's easier said than done.

Back