Fly Tying Scissors

T

tctrout

In my opinion, fly tying scissors are an important tool when tying, and I discuss their qualities during this video. I show my first pair of scissors from over 25 years ago, then feature those that have become a staple at my bench.

If you use a pair that you would recommend, consider adding your thoughts on the "Comments" section of this video's Youtube page.

Thanks!

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJzKngOcdg[/youtube]

Tim.....

The "goofy scissors" you refer to are, I believe, are also referred to as "Bandage scissors".

They are used in the medical field for bandage, cast removal and certain surgical cutting needs.

The Autoclave 143C is the maximum sterilization temperature they withstand.

Been about 40 years since I used them in a medical setting as a hospital corpsman, but still have a pair I acquired from Bethesda Naval Hospital. They were made from stainless steel at that time, and mine are still sharp!

Got my two pairs of circa 1990 Thompson Ice tempered (one curved and one straight). Love 'em still. LOTS of flys tied over the years. Still use them for trimming deer hair, midge work, chenille, all
Manner of threads etc. they've been great!

i'm content with the following scissors

dr slick

697.Jpg

i use my dr slicks for just about everything including wires

fiskars

fiskar%20small%20and%20large_zpskbhk5wii.jpg

small scissors for hairs etc

large scissors for the larger materials like foam sheets

i also use a utility knife, steel straight edge and a plastic cutting board for cutting long strips of various tying materials

straightcuts_zpse4ab9757.jpg

Been about 40 years since I used them in a medical setting as a hospital corpsman, but still have a pair I acquired from Bethesda Naval Hospital. They were made from stainless steel at that time, and mine are still sharp!

Surgical instruments last...I use suture removal scissors for fine work.

Thanks for the details on my "goofy" pair of scissors! Once the video went live, one of my subscribers, Frank Williams, posted the following in the "Comments" section of the video:

Tim - the "goofy looking, blue scissors" are a type or "bandage scissors". The "autoclaveable" refers to how they are to be sterilized (steam, high heat). The blunt tip on the longer blade allows you to slip the tip under a bandage without hurting the patient. They come in a variety of sizes and are a general, heavy duty scissors for a lot of uses.

Thanks for the additional scissors mentioned, and if you have a chance to mention them on the actual video page, please do so as I know many look at the "Comments" section as a resource.

TC

chromid wrote:
Tim.....

The "goofy scissors" you refer to are, I believe, are also referred to as "Bandage scissors".

They are used in the medical field for bandage, cast removal and certain surgical cutting needs.

The Autoclave 143C is the maximum sterilization temperature they withstand.

The dr slicks i like are no longer made! I need to learn to sharpen them babies!

One word, have a different set just for globug yarn/rope! Youll destroy a new pair rather quick on this stuff!

I dont cut lead though see a lot who do. And use a junk beater pair for wire.

When its time to crank. Dr slicks all the way. They fit my paws well!

These are about $1.60 in the craft section at Walmart:

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 3
I have a pair or Dr. Slick's for cutting thread and feathers. Got them when the scissors I received in the tying kit awarded to me at my first tying jam were confiscated from my wife's needlepoint in Uruguay.
For wire, lead and other tougher materials, I have some general purpose scissors I use.
Backups are surgical scissors kindly provided by Volksnurse.

I own several pair of scissors and use them all but my favorite is my Dr. Slick "Razor" scissors. They have a very fine point and are adjustable.

Back