Fly Rod Build

I went down the rabbit hole of building rods about 4 years ago , and got completely addicted to building them . I now have more rods than I can ever use . There is something about catching a fish on a rod you built with a fly you tied . Thought I would share some pics of my latest build . A McFarland tailwind 9’ 6wt , snake brand guides, lemke reel seat , I used man-o-war spar varnish instead of epoxy. I like the way spar looks and find it easier to work with than epoxy + way cheaper also . Keep up the good work everyone I would like to see more pictures of builds by forum members
Nice... I have the luxury to spread gear around among five guys in the family who flyfish (even more if it eventually catches on with the grandkids). The wife was too happy that I provided the boys with Christmas gifts.
I prefer varnish over epoxy as well. I can't work with Flex Coat fast enough before it gets tacky. Flex Coat came with the kit I purchased, so I used it on one new flyrod and a restoration of a 50-year-old spinning rod .(My dad got the spinning rod for me from Kmart when I was a kid.)
Lots of nice hardware at Graywolf so down the rabbit hole I go.

I went down the rabbit hole of building rods about 4 years ago , and got completely addicted to building them . I now have more rods than I can ever use . There is something about catching a fish on a rod you built with a fly you tied . Thought I would share some pics of my latest build . A McFarland tailwind 9’ 6wt , snake brand guides, lemke reel seat , I used man-o-war spar varnish instead of epoxy. I like the way spar looks and find it easier to work with than epoxy + way cheaper also . Keep up the good work everyone I would like to see more pictures of builds by forum members
Beautiful work. Maybe someday I’ll get to your skill level. My first build will be black thread on a grey blank, with black components. Creative….huh??

Nice job!!

I especially dig the spiral wraps and the Silaflex look!!

Beautiful work. Maybe someday I’ll get to your skill level. My first build will be black thread on a grey blank, with black components. Creative….huh??
You won't even need to concern yourself with color preserver.

You rod builders should ask Dave about creating a sub forum just for rod building here on PAFF.

I also post on Fiberglass Flyrodders and we have a "Rod Building & Tackle Tinkering" sub forum. I'm not a rod builder but I regular peruse that sub-forum because the wealth of information is staggering and all in one place.

Keep up the good work everyone I would like to see more pictures of builds by forum members
I made this one for the oldest boy. I liked it enough to make one for myself. It's green thread on a green blank so it doesn't really stand out. Also, I'm continually plagued by varnish darkening the thread, regardless of how thoroughly the color preserver is applied.

Here's my attempt at restoring an old spinning rod. I used Flex coat on the threads. The gold tape under the spirals was on the original rod, as was the beige blank at the guide locations. The rod is actually brown and originally had black thread.

Thanks for the kind words Jim Novo , you have start somewhere. Sounds like you have a plan for your rod . My first rod was a green blank gray wraps and black components. As long as you like it that is all that matters. Enjoy and have fun with the build .
Bamboozle , so glad you noticed that it had the Silaflex look , that was what I was going for .
It would be awesome if Dave would make a section for rod building / repairs ( Dave can we please have a sub forum? )

A LONG time ago I had beast of a Browning Silaflex rod that if I recall correctly was a 9'0" 8wt. At the time it pared with a 1496-1/2 Medalist was my bass/saltwater rod.

I once foul hooked a seagull fishing off a jetty with that rod so whenever I see a Silaflex or a reasonable facsimile, I smile and chuckle remembering that fiasco...

You did the Silaflex tribute justice!!

A LONG time ago I had beast of a Browning Silaflex rod that if I recall correctly was a 9'0" 8wt. At the time it pared with a 1496-1/2 Medalist was my bass/saltwater rod.

I once foul hooked a seagull fishing off a jetty with that rod so whenever I see a Silaflex or a reasonable facsimile, I smile and chuckle remembering that fiasco...

You did the Silaflex tribute justice!!
Did you practice catch and release? Lol !!!
And thanks Bamboozle .

I've built a few rods on Hook and Hackle blanks and liked them alot. Plus they are having at 50% off sale right now.

I've built a few rods on Hook and Hackle blanks and liked them alot. Plus they are having at 50% off sale right now.
So far, all my blanks have come from HookHack (American Tackle company, Batson Rainshadow, or their own H&H). One of them was a full kit that came with everything except epoxy and varnish. A real person will even answer a phone call or reply to an email when you contact them. They sometimes have supply chain issues but who doesn't?
I've mostly gone with Jann's (still in Ohio) for handles, reel seats and guides.

Back