Fly Rod Build

Shawn Joseph

Shawn Joseph

For years I’ve wanted to get into building my own fly rods. I’ve been doing some research and thought this would be a good beginner purchase. Thinking about getting a couple cheaper blanks to learn on and probably give away to friends I’m trying to get into fly fishing. Thoughts? Any suggestions from experienced rod builders completely welcomed. Thanks in advance.

For years I’ve wanted to get into building my own fly rods. I’ve been doing some research and thought this would be a good beginner purchase. Thinking about getting a couple cheaper blanks to learn on and probably give away to friends I’m trying to get into fly fishing. Thoughts? Any suggestions from experienced rod builders completely welcomed. Thanks in advance.
I definitely wouldn't get that kit. Lots of stuff you will never use.

What in the kit wouldn’t I use? I obviously have no experience.

What in the kit wouldn’t I use? I obviously have no experience.
That drier is garbage. The majority of those reamers you will never use because they are designed for much larger/thicker rods. Those scissors aren't that great. The alcohol burner I've never used one. No one needs a sticker tape measurer. I'm not a fan of ProPaste or Prokote. I do use that thread carriage but I alo upgraded it with the 4 spool adaptor but its not bad. I also use the stands. I recommend the dryer with the pry grips. I'm also a fan of Flexcoat for thread and UB40 for handle epoxy. I'm not sure but I think Hook & Hackle still offers kits for the rods that come with the epoxy and what you need. I could be wrong.

That drier is garbage. The majority of those reamers you will never use because they are designed for much larger/thicker rods. Those scissors aren't that great. The alcohol burner I've never used one. No one needs a sticker tape measurer. I'm not a fan of ProPaste or Prokote. I do use that thread carriage but I alo upgraded it with the 4 spool adaptor but its not bad. I also use the stands. I recommend the dryer with the pry grips. I'm also a fan of Flexcoat for thread and UB40 for handle epoxy. I'm not sure but I think Hook & Hackle still offers kits for the rods that come with the epoxy and what you need. I could be wrong.
Which dryer are you using?

I actually purchased that same kit when I started building years back. Agreed, you'll never use the scissors and some of the wider reamers but the price of the bundle is pretty reasonable and components are decent quality.

It will serve you well - it's everything you need (some will argue more than you need) to figure out if it's a hobby you want to invest more time and money in to.

If you can afford the $150, it'll give you a better experience than starting off with a few "vees" cut into a cardboard box and a spool of thread running through a closed book from a coffee cup.

I've upgraded my setup a bit since then but if I had a do-over, I'd buy it again.

Good luck and PM me with questions if you think there's anyhing I can help with.

Attachments

• 20230328_194756.jpg
    20230328_194756.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 60
I actually purchased that same kit when I started building years back. Agreed, you'll never use the scissors and some of the wider reamers but the price of the bundle is pretty reasonable and components are decent quality.

It will serve you well - it's everything you need (some will argue more than you need) to figure out if it's a hobby you want to invest more time and money in to.

If you can afford the $150, it'll give you a better experience than starting off with a few "vees" cut into a cardboard box and a spool of thread running through a closed book from a coffee cup.

I've upgraded my setup a bit since then but if I had a do-over, I'd buy it again.

Good luck and PM me with questions if you think there's anyhing I can help with.
That is what I was thinking. Thanks for your reply.

This is what I got. Has everything I needed. Made a small reamer out of an old rod with the sand paper.

That kit OP linked looks perfect. Very similar to what I have and that rod drier will serve well.

Definitely cheaper routes for your first build but that kit is solid.

I ended up going with the kit I initially posted. @bigjohn358 I also bought the upgraded chuck you recommended. Looking forward to my first build. I’m pumped! 😀

I ordered last Sunday and it never shipped. Called Mudhole and apparently my credit card had an old address that somehow didn’t get changed when I moved years ago. So I called them and they said they had to cancel my order because my billing and address on my card didn’t match up. The Address thing is on my end not theirs. I called my bank and fixed it. Mudhole said they would send me an invoice with 10% off the whole order. I thought that was awesome customer service considering it was at no fault of theirs.

Last edited:
I thought about starting a thread but saw this one on the first page of gear talk.
Anyway, I finally got around to my first attempt at building my own flyrod - under the tutelage and scrutiny of my father-in-law. The rod (7.5', 3 wt, on a pretty rainshadow blank) proved to be very functional in its first outing, having caught 4 fish out of the same hole on the same dry fly. My assessment is limited to functionality, since the build was less than perfect (as several rod builders on PAFLYFISH declared every first attempt would be).
I enjoyed the activity enough to promise a rod for each of my three sons. Hopefully, I can prevent the missteps I encountered with the first one.
Now I have some more questions that the google machine didn't answer.

- Is there a reference that crosses snake guide sizes to single foot guide (ring) sizes? None of us have ever used rods with snake guides, so I won't be using them. Jann's and other suppliers don't state a size on their single foot guides - only fractional inches of the bore size. I did find one reference that suggested using guides of all the same size between the tip and stripping guide, stating that shooting line wouldn't encounter as many "directional changes."
- I suppose a better question would be, what is the optimum guide size for a given line weight?

- Is attaching a fighting butt to the back of a heavier (8 wt) nine-footer worth the trouble? I don't have one on my 9-foot 5/6 weight and I've never needed it. The youngest wants to use big streamers to catch big fish on the 8-weight and I'm guessing it might help the balance.

- Is it acceptable to hold a guide in-place with a tiny drop of superglue before wrapping it? The biggest problem with my first rod was keeping the guides aligned before the wrap grabbed and held them. This especially became an issue on the tiny diameters near the tip of the (3-weight) rod. I suggested gluing after a fourth or fifth attempt, but my "instructor" looked at me like I committed some kind of sacrilege. Even he had trouble wrapping the guide closest to the tip and he has built many very nice rods.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Glenn

I thought about starting a thread but saw this one on the first page of gear talk.
Anyway, I finally got around to my first attempt at building my own flyrod - under the tutelage and scrutiny of my father-in-law. The rod (7.5', 3 wt, on a pretty rainshadow blank) proved to be very functional in its first outing, having caught 4 fish out of the same hole on the same dry fly. My assessment is limited to functionality, since the build was less than perfect (as several rod builders on PAFLYFISH declared every first attempt would be).
I enjoyed the activity enough to promise a rod for each of my three sons. Hopefully, I can prevent the missteps I encountered with the first one.
Now I have some more questions that the google machine didn't answer.

- Is there a reference that crosses snake guide sizes to single foot guide (ring) sizes? None of us have ever used rods with snake guides, so I won't be using them. Jann's and other suppliers don't state a size on their single foot guides - only fractional inches of the bore size. I did find one reference that suggested using guides of all the same size between the tip and stripping guide, stating that shooting line wouldn't encounter as many "directional changes."
- I suppose a better question would be, what is the optimum guide size for a given line weight?

- Is attaching a fighting butt to the back of a heavier (8 wt) nine-footer worth the trouble? I don't have one on my 9-foot 5/6 weight and I've never needed it. The youngest wants to use big streamers to catch big fish on the 8-weight and I'm guessing it might help the balance.

- Is it acceptable to hold a guide in-place with a tiny drop of superglue before wrapping it? The biggest problem with my first rod was keeping the guides aligned before the wrap grabbed and held them. This especially became an issue on the tiny diameters near the tip of the (3-weight) rod. I suggested gluing after a fourth or fifth attempt, but my "instructor" looked at me like I committed some kind of sacrilege. Even he had trouble wrapping the guide closest to the tip and he has built many very nice rods.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Glenn
No reason to super glue a guide. I use the rubber bands for braces. https://www.amazon.com/Orthodontic-...r+bands+for+braces&qid=1682634209&sr=8-7&th=1 Never had a problem wrapping a guide. Why do you like single foot guides?

I'm scratching my head a little bit over your SFG question. All the Single Foot Fly Guides I've sourced are sized using the same ring sizing as snake guides - typically 4 thru 1/0 or 2/0 depending on your build. Check Angler's Workshop and Proof Fly Fishing for a good selection of SFGs.

In my experience, there are rules of thumb for guide sizing that are often good starting points for many before adjusting based on personal preference. For fly rods, the universally accepted best place to start is using Tom Morgan's (of Winston fame) Guide Spacing and Sizing Chart. It's posted on the Snake Brand Guide website:

Morgan's M.O. was always to transition guides to small sizes quickly to limit line wobble and increase shooting accuracy. Most agree. Some very good rod builder's will drop a size over successive guides working up from the stripping guide until they get to their desired end size and finish with them . . . example: 9mm stripper followed by 1x3, 1x2, 1x1, 1x1/0, and the 2/0's the rest of the way. Me: I usually start by landing guides on a blank using Morgan's spacing BUT, I generally up-size guides one size - I'll transition down to 1/0, not 2/0, and then static test and move guides up or down depending on the rod's load profile. I very seldomly build out to 2/0 guides.

I'll PM you a few links of info I have bookmarked that'll provide perspective on the different approaches builders take.

For keeping guides in place while wrapping, I've experimented with dental bands, dubbing wax, CRB's micro guide bands (you can find them at Mudhole), and even a quick swipe across a stick to tip top cement but always fall back to thin tape to hold the guides in-place. Yes, as you get into the thinner sections of the build, the wraps get a little more challenging. Do your best to close the distance between your supports as much as you can to reduce the flex. That helps. With regard to super glue, I'v ealways been taught it's rod-building blasphemy as well. Rule of thumb is anytihng attached with super glue becomes permanent and you could risk blank damage by using it. For me, without any scientific proof whatsoever, I was always worried about it indriducing a point of rigidity that at some point would become a potential stress initiation point.

Fighting butts is another area of personal preference but for a 8+ WT, I can see the advantage. Thinking about it, it seems there aren't a lot of factory rods coming without them.

BTW: love the rainshadow blanks. Built a bunch of "tadpoles" using them, and have a bunch of blanks stashed in the basement rafters for future builds. They're cheap enough, I usually buy them in qtys of two: one to section and one to use as exact taper match spigot stock.

One quick ammendment regarding guide size and spacing: even before opening Morgan's sizing guide, the best place to start is actually the blank manufacturer. Most incluidng Batson for their Rainshadow publish recommended guide spacing and sizing charts. get bit outdoors is a huge resellr of Batson blanks and has guide chart links available for pretty much every blank they offer.

If you are using ceramic insert guides, no the sizes won't correspond to snake guides. You should be able to find some sizing recommendations by searching the web and various rod builders forums/groups.

On the other hand, single foot wire fly guides are sized the same as snake guides.

FWIW, I've used ceramic insert guides on fly rods and have found them to offer no advantage over wire guides. In fact, I think they performed worse in every aspect except perhaps durability, but I did not keep the rod long enough to find out.

Totally personal preference. The butt offers no advantage and only comes into play when you have a large fish on want to brace the rod butt against your body. Then it is nice to have. A cork/foam fighting butt adds negligible weight for balance purposes, especially considering the weight of the reel you will add.

Don't worry about small misalignments in guides. You should be able to move them around the blank a bit after the wrap is complete. If you can't nudge the guides into alignment once wrapped, you are wrapping to tightly. I wouldn't suggest getting super glue, in particular, anywhere near you blank. The potential to make a mess with it when it is not really needed is pretty high.

Why do you like single foot guides?
In ~35 years of flyfishing, I've never used a rod with snake guides. My father-in-law (Jim) made all the rods we use and for some reason, he never installs snake guides. His father made rods as well and the whole stock of materials went to Jim. Except for the blank for my rod, all materials came from there.

It's posted on the Snake Brand Guide website:

For keeping guides in place while wrapping, I've experimented with dental bands, dubbing wax, CRB's micro guide bands (you can find them at Mudhole), and even a quick swipe across a stick to tip top cement but always fall back to thin tape

Fighting butts is another area of personal preference but for a 8+ WT, I can see the advantage. Thinking about it, it seems there aren't a lot of factory rods coming without them.

BTW: love the rainshadow blanks. Built a bunch of "tadpoles" using them, and have a bunch of blanks stashed in the basement rafters for future builds. They're cheap enough, I usually buy them in qtys of two: one to section and one to use as exact taper match spigot stock.
Thanks for the information. I wasn't too hung up on spacing since I already have a few rods to reference, but the sizing part will help.
By "taper match spigot stick" do you mean you cut down sections for reference, or do you measure with a caliper?
We like the rainshadow blanks as well, and also have some Matrix rods. My mentor bought so many of each that Jann's once sent him a GLoomis blank and rosewood reel seat for Christmas.

Back