Fly Lines for 4-wt?

G

gwold

I just picked up a 4 wt, 8 ft rod, built on a GLoomis IMX (not Pro!) blank. I've got a reel for it with a spare spool. And I want to get ready for the spring trout stocking around here (Bucks Cty and vicinity). Dry flies, nymphs, creeks, small rivers, still water--they're all a mystery to be tried out. Do you have a recommendation on what fly line(s) to get, for a beginner to play around with & learn on?

Cortland classic 444 WFF in peach. I tired of all the fly line hype a few years ago and have been putting 444 on all my reels as the need arises.

I really like SA Infinity. I have it in a 3,4, and 7wt. It just seems to fly through the guides and land nicely. I'll be taking my 7WF up for steelheading tomorrow on my new 7wt 10ft. I was lawn casting it yesterday and had to pull my line down from some low hanging branches as I was overshooting the patch of lawn I was casting on. Infinity may be my favorite line to date, love the taper. It's the only line I have in multiple line wts. The green color looks good on my H3F and Hatch in carbon if you are the type who likes to make sure your line color jives with your setup.

I just picked up a 4 wt, 8 ft rod, built on a GLoomis IMX (not Pro!) blank. I've got a reel for it with a spare spool. And I want to get ready for the spring trout stocking around here (Bucks Cty and vicinity). Dry flies, nymphs, creeks, small rivers, still water--they're all a mystery to be tried out. Do you have a recommendation on what fly line(s) to get, for a beginner to play around with & learn on?

Because you are a beginner, I'd recommend you TRY before you buy anything because you probably don't know what you like as far as rod action...

In today's world, there are true-to-weight (TTW) fly lines that weigh right in the middle of the recommended range for their size and heavier fly lines that can be as much as a half to 1.5 times heavier yet still be labeled as the same line weight...

...for some reason. ;)

For example:

Your rod is sold as a 4wt and a TTW 4wt line weighs 120 grains. An example of TTW lines are Cortland 444 Peach, 406 Fly Lines and Sci-Angler Mastery.

BUT, you may NOT like the way your rod feels with a 120 grain line...

Maybe you'd like it better with a 126 grain 4wt line like a Rio Gold or Sci Angler GPX or even a full size heavier line like a Elite Rio Grand 4wt at 140 grains.

The problem is, you won't know until you try at least ONE line of a known weight on YOUR rod as a benchmark.

If I was you, I would seek out a friend or fly shop that has some fly lines on reels to test out. Ideally a TTW 4wt line & a TTW 5wt line and try both to see what you like. If the TTW 4wt feels too light and the TTW 5wt feels too heavy, try half size heavier options and dial it in from there.

Even if the person or fly shop doesn't have TTW lines, as long as they know the brand and size you can get an idea what weight fly line works for you and your rod.

You might even want to bring along any bigger, heavier or more wind resistant flies you plan to throw because you may discover you like a certain weight line for trout fishing and a different line weight for warm water.

THEN decide what line at that/those weight(s) has the other features you think you'd like in a fly line...

...and it you did your testing at a fly shop, buy the line(s) from them. ;)

It wasn't always this hard to match a line with a rod but, you said you want to get ready for next spring so you have plenty of time to experiment with lines beforehand.

What you don't want to do is spend money on a recommendation and find out it doesn't work for YOU.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Because you are a beginner, I'd recommend you TRY before you buy anything because you probably don't know what you like as far as rod action...

In today's world, there are true-to-weight (TTW) fly lines that weigh right in the middle of the recommended range for their size and heavier fly lines that can be as much as a half to 1.5 times heavier yet still be labeled as the same line weight...

...for some reason. ;)

For example:

Your rod is sold as a 4wt and a TTW 4wt line weighs 120 grains. An example of TTW lines are Cortland 444 Peach, 406 Fly Lines and Sci-Angler Mastery.

BUT, you may NOT like the way you rod feels with a 120 grain line...

Maybe you'd like it better with a 126 grain 4wt line like a Rio Gold or Sci Angler GPX or even a full size heavier line like a Elite Rio Grand 4wt at 140 grains.

The problem is, you won't know until you try at least ONE line of a known weight on YOUR rod as a benchmark.

If I was you, I would seek out a friend or fly shop that has some fly lines on reels to test out. Ideally a TTW 4wt line & a TTW 5wt line and try both to see what you like. If the TTW 4wt feels too light and the TTW 5wt feels too heavy, try half size heavier options and dial it in from there.

Even if the person or fly shop doesn't have TTW lines, as long as they know the brand and size you can get an idea what weight fly line works for you and your rod.

You might even want to bring along any bigger, heavier or more wind resistant flies you plan to throw because you may discover you like a certain weight line for trout fishing and a different line weight for warm water.

THEN decide what line at that/those weight(s) has the other features you think you'd like in a fly line...

It wasn't always this hard to match a line with a rod but, you said you want to get ready for next spring so you have plenty of time to experiment with lines beforehand.

What you don't want to do is spend money on a recommendation and find out it doesn't work for YOU.

Good luck!!
Interesting. It hadn't occurred to me that a shop might have line to test. Thanks for that, and all the other information you're sharing!

Interesting. It hadn't occurred to me that a shop might have line to test. Thanks for that, and all the other information you're sharing!

USUALLY fly shops have reels with different lines on on them so customers can test out rods. I say usually because places like Cabela's and Bass Pro don't.

If you don't a have a fly fishing friend, I'd find a shop with test reels/lines even if you have to drive a ways to get there. You'll still spend less on gas than a fly line you buy blindly that doesn't work... ;)

I just picked up a 4 wt, 8 ft rod, built on a GLoomis IMX (not Pro!) blank.
Where can one get a G.Loomis blank? Jann's quit selling them way before I became interested in building fly rods.
As for line advice, I'm probably not much help. It used to be that one could improve distance by over-lining (going up one line weight) but that usually sacrifices presentation. Since casting/fishing styles cover a wide spectrum among individual fishers, find a buddy who has different lines/reels and give them a try on the lawn. I expect that any of the previous recommendations will work since we tend to adapt our styles to our equipment.
Regards

Where can one get a G.Loomis blank? Jann's quit selling them way before I became interested in building fly rods.
Can't help you there. This rod (and an 8 wt also on IMX blank) are probably 20-30 years old, based on what I've been able to find out about the builder.

Am I just so used to junk equipment or are you guys really seeing positive differences with these higher end lines? I have a lot of reels with Shadow brand fly lines. I have several with $15 ebay lines. I have a couple with higher end lines BUT I can cast them all the same! I've had some lines like the Cortland 444 Peach and a Scientific Anglers Trout Mastery Series that I absolutely hated! Just too limp and wouldn't roll over and I do a ton of roll casting.

I think the biggest advantage to higher end lines is choices in tapers, weight and coatings and IF you take care of your lines, longevity. The different tapers & weights can help with performance if you like faster action rods.

As far as limpness goes, I like the limpest line I can get and never found it to be a hindrance when roll casting. However, all of my trout rods are moderate action and I use DT's on all of them which helps.

Reactions: JGR
I think the biggest advantage to higher end lines is choices in tapers, weight and coatings and IF you take care of your lines, longevity. The different tapers & weights can help with performance if you like faster action rods.

As far as limpness goes, I like the limpest line I can get and never found it to be a hindrance when roll casting. However, all of my trout rods are moderate action and I use DT's on all of them which helps.
Limp is fine for dry flies but when I'm nymphing with an indicator I'm not a fan of it.

The 444 lines are ok. They used to be 40 then 50 bucks. The coatings are not as good as Cortand's, SA and Rio's premium lines. The coatings are slicker and better but more expensive. I can feel the difference when casting. If your fishing does not require longer casting the 444 lines are fine and good value.

Last edited:

...for some reason. ;)

For example:

Good luck!!
Thank you for posting excellent information even for an experienced flyfisherperson.

I think if there was ever an "over thought" aspect of fly fishing then line choice is it. I think it's all gobble-de-gook marketing BS. Any decent quality line is fine. Weight forward, double-taper, whatever, it really doesn't matter.

There are bad lines, though. I've had some that are garbage. I've also had cheap lines that were amazing.

A $100 90' long piece of thin plastic sure is something though, ain't it?

I think if there was ever an "over thought" aspect of fly fishing then line choice is it. I think it's all gobble-de-gook marketing BS. Any decent quality line is fine. Weight forward, double-taper, whatever, it really doesn't matter.

There are bad lines, though. I've had some that are garbage. I've also had cheap lines that were amazing.

A $100 90' long piece of thin plastic sure is something though, ain't it?
And one the industry feels they need to be replaced every 6 months to a year.....
not

Respect them clean them and straighten them with care this time of year.

All fly lines are a compromise. Different line profiles enhance casting and presentation on different waters especially when using dry flies with long leaders on different water types.certain lines turn over indicator rigs better and others present a small dry fly on a smooth tailout. Some use any line and in most situations it probably doesnt much matter as they dont fish water where it makes much difference and they cast well enough to get results.
With normal usage and maintenance they do not need to be replaced every year

Last edited:

...for some reason. ;)

For example:

Good luck!!
Good advise try before you buy and a good fly shop is where you can do it.

Back