Fly Line Preferences

dryflyguy brings up a good point here:

"I still prefer DT lines - although it's getting a little hard to find them lately."

I also prefer DT lines and have to search around to find them. I prefer DT lines because I have no use for the advantage WF lines (the ability to shoot farther). I do have a use for the advantages of DT lines.

There is no doubt that the line manufacturers would prefer you bought WF lines.

My question to those of you that buy WF lines is, why would you go along with the line manufacturers plot to have you buy twice as many lines over the course of your career than is needed?

shortrod wrote:
dryflyguy brings up a good point here:

"I still prefer DT lines - although it's getting a little hard to find them lately."

I also prefer DT lines and have to search around to find them. I prefer DT lines because I have no use for the advantage WF lines (the ability to shoot farther). I do have a use for the advantages of DT lines.

There is no doubt that the line manufacturers would prefer you bought WF lines.

My question to those of you that buy WF lines is, why would you go along with the line manufacturers plot to have you buy twice as many lines over the course of your career than is needed?

Not everyone fishes with a shortrod....lol.

No biggie, either one on a really small stream. But on a medium sized stream or larger, being able to shoot line is important to me, even if the casts aren't really that long.

Pick up > false cast one time > and shoot. (add a haul for longer casts)
Easy, efficient, and accurate.

BTW, WF outsells DT more than 20 to 1 in my experience. That's why it's so hard to find.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm actually working on starting up my own fly fishing business and starting off with some lines. If you are interested in what's going on or what products I have just shoot me an email. I'm hoping to have everything up and running in the next few months!

risenflyco@yahoo.com

sweet
another outlet for overpriced imported products with no R&D

its not a "fly fishing" business
its a "marketing" business of imported trinkets

Thanks for your support. I appreciate the trashing of something you have no idea of what it is or the future business plan.

ryguyfi wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm actually working on starting up my own fly fishing business and starting off with some lines. If you are interested in what's going on or what products I have just shoot me an email. I'm hoping to have everything up and running in the next few months!

risenflyco@yahoo.com

RYGuy,

If that's the case, I would stick to nearly all WF lines (5wt is by far the best seller). Maybe carry a few DT5s or DT4s, but WFs are what most FFers want.

Good luck.

afishinado wrote:

RYGuy,

If that's the case, I would stick to nearly all WF lines (5wt is by far the best seller). Maybe carry a few DT5s or DT4s, but WFs are what most FFers want.

Good luck.

Thanks. It's all starting quite small now, but hoping to build it up to a reputable site in the next 6-12 months. My eventual goal is to at least have a series of machined reels made in the USA.

I fish with WF Rio Gold. The color of the line is olive and that is what I prefer. The first thing I do when I buy fly line is cut off the welded loop and nailess nail knot a 7 inch 20lb Amnesia test piece of mono with a perferction loop. I then coat both knots with UV knot sense and never worry about it again.

I attach my leader by a 3 turn improved clinch knot to the perfection loop. It's smoother through the guides then a loop to loop.

I honestly think it's all marketing. EVERY reel that comes with line on it has WF line. It's just what is the industry standard. I've never used a DT line and that is probably the reason why. I think the taper is a bit easier for the "beginner" to cast too, and there's a lot more beginners than experts out there.

i know exactly what it is... you found some asian website that mass produces junk

junk with no R&D
OR
its grey market tapers cranked on inferior products

you're going to sell it for 1000% markup from a website

Honestly, compare tapers. Get yourself a mic if you have to.

Ok, there are two things to pay attention to.

#1 is the "aggressiveness" of the front taper. ALL fly lines are thin at the business end and taper up. How aggressive that taper is can vary between models, but DT vs. WF makes no difference. Both can be aggressive or "delicate" tapers. And the truth is, most lines are awfully similar on the front taper. This front taper is maybe the first 10-15 ft of the fly line.

#2 after they get to full thickness, i.e. the "body", a WF stays that way for 25-30 ft, then tapers back to the running line. A DT stays that way for about 70 ft.

So, when the front taper and body are taken into account, there is absolutely no difference between a DT and a WF for the first 35-40 ft of line. Add, say, close to a 10' leader to that, and you're making 45-50 foot casts before there's one iota of a difference between WF and DT.

I won't say I never have to make a cast that far, but it's exceedingly rare.

I agree shortrod, more saying that a "preloaded" reel always has WF line on it.

Here's another question. Can you guys really tell the difference between lines?

I can from a VERY cheap line to a quality line, but not from one quality line to another. I'm sure it's minute, but it really won't make a difference in my fishing.

I can say with all honesty, there is no conspiracy by the "industry."
If FFers prefer to buy WF lines, the "industry" will produce and sell WF lines. Same for reels. The vast majority seems to prefer large arbor reels, so that's what you see offered. And 4-piece rods - can't even sell a 2 piecer....yada, yada, yada.

And the Pièce de résistance is felt soled wading boots. There is absolutely no difference in the profit of felt vs. rubber soled boots. In fact, I'm aware of a large FFing company that has been selling felt boots at a reduced price/profit just to get rid them since no one seems to want them (a good thing, IMO).

DT vs. WF lines:

Taper - virtually the same @ 30 feet +/-

Shootability - WF thin running line easier to shoot after 30+ ' of line. DT tends to overload rod when carrying >30' of line and doesn't shoot as well.

Backing - WF with the thin running line allows more backing than DT

Reverseable - DT can be reversed when worn on one end. WF cannot.

Selection - WF- Many (too many?) types of different tapers & specialty tapers offered. DT limited.

No right or wrong. Weigh all the strengths and weaknesses and choose the one that best fits the type of fishing you do.

I fish in a lot of different places. For short casts - no difference, but I do make longer casts at times and like to have the versatility of a WF line. That's me.

Dear shortrod,

Preach on brother!

At the Jamboree I loaned a reel spooled with a $ 9.00 DT5 fly line to a guy. It then was mounted on a Chinese made knock-off bamboo rod.

A skilled caster then proceeded to cast the entire line plus a couple 10 - 20' of backing.

I wasn't the skilled caster but I definitely had a lesson reinforced, that being, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

It's all hype, it's up to you how much you want to swallow.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

a level line was the standard for years then the DT, a level works best on a beginner caster. also for short cast on small streams they load best.

honestly
turning around a DT line is not even on the radar for the "industry"

Back