fly line lubrication

I have two Sci Anglers XPS lines that are both 11 years old. I clean them several times a year by unspooling them in water & wiping them down - then they get pulled through a cheap cortland patch w/ silicone on it. They shoot well enough to fish the Breeches.
Don't throw away your old lines. I just "retired" another 4 wf line that developed cracks in the first 10 feet. All the manufacture's specs are online - measure & cut 1-2 feet into the running line. Tie the old tip (after cutting off the cracked section) to backing - you have a new, albeit shorter, line. The taper may be a little steeper on the other end, but mine ended up being a great little 38' line for small creeks that floats like new.
Matt

Shot line = cracks, exposed core, etc. Line no longer floats, is weakened and doesn't cast correctly. Pull off the first 20' of line. Use reading glasses and have good lighting. If it's cracked, you'll see it pretty easily

i dress the first ten feet or so of plastic lines with albolene each time i fish.

i use red mucillin on silk lines.

Back