fly line lubrication

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

gentleman,
I have tried mucilin and other fly line dressing to clean and re lubricate my line. after about 4 hours of fishing I find that the line needs to be re-lubed. I use the top of the line orvis floating line, around $95 and seem to replace it each year so it is not like my line is 8 years old. I am wondering if there is another secret lubricant that will bring the fly line back to its original new like feel.
thanks,

I've always used drop of dawn in warm water to wash it down and the a little armour all on a paper towel to prep it as you reel it in.

Krayfish,
Dawn will kill a fly line, if you must use ivory soap..

thanks kray, I have never tried that before. how long does a new spool of fly line last for you? also, do clean and lube your line after every outing?

sandfly wrote:
Krayfish,
Dawn will kill a fly line, if you must use ivory soap..

.....and ArmourAll will be the coupe de grace for that line.....you'll have plenty of line for tying your plants to the tamata stake, though.

Evidently, I have the the murders row of care products. LOL. Don't gauge anything off of how long my line lasts. At 20-25 days per year on stream, it lasts 2+ yrs. Once cracked, I'll use it as a nymph line for a few months before retiring it.

Rio tech dept said a diluted 303 would be fine as well

I've been wondering whether I should try to buy a nicer fly line, hoping that it would last a bit longer. If you say you're having trouble getting a year out of a $95 line, maybe I'll just stick to my ~$30—40 lines.

I usually have the same problem - after a season or so I find they don't float or cast as well as when they were new. I've tried cleaning them and using a couple types of line dressings, but my experience was similar to yours - seems to wear off in a couple hours. I just put some silicone mucilin on the end of the line to keep it floating every couple of outings, and deal with the slightly decreased shooting ability of the line.

I clean mine at least once every two years whether it needs it or not.

During the cleaning process the cats usually get things so tied into knots that I buy new fly line and start over.

Reading various shared experiences on the internet, I personally decided that a dedicated dressing such as Loon or Rio was the best option and that using a similar product such as RainX or Armor-All had some risk although many success stories.

A good soak and a microfiber cloth seems to work well for cleaning.

problem with lines sinking at tip---water getting in except the newer loop ends. best way to clean is ivory soap wipe on the dry cloth off, then dress with fly line dressing (musilin is for silk lines). I have 30.00 dollar lines that are over 5 years old and still working and 65.00 that are even older and I fish over 200 days a year..

my orvis line is about 10 years old,i just used mucilin,never had a problem,my line cost about 60.00

my orvis line is about 10 years old,i just used mucilin,never had a problem,my line cost about 60.00

it works but does pick up microscopic dirt.

well, I went for it and used amor-all...fished it 4 days and it still works like the day I bought it with only 1 treatment.
I threw the mucilin away and all the others: loon and Cortland.
and after many years of fishing penns and countless 18/19 inchers I finally broke 20 inches on sunday...not by much but broke 20, and the line did not break. I am sold on armor-all.

Congratulations on your big fish! Two years ago on Penns, also after many 18/19 inchers, I finally broke the 20 inch threshold as well, albeit not by much. Funny thing was, many of the 18 inchers fought harder than that particular fish. I was shocked at how shallow of water he was feeding in near the edge, on sulfurs.

Wow do I wish I was at Penns Creek now. A week an a half ago, the hatches were really developing, but the fish had not yet fully remembered how to feed on the surface. Right now, I think things must just be exploding! I really need to quit work so that I can focus more on chasing hatches and epic spinner falls.

Back to line lubrication, I guess my problem is that I am just such a poor caster that I don't really notice if my line has a lot resistance through the guides. I usually don't attempt to shoot that much line anyway. If the line is too slippery it usually just frustrates me when I am high stick nymphing and it slips backward through the guides. If I ever fish truly big water, I guess I should improve my casting. I do try to keep the end clean enough that it float well though.

Sorry for the ramblings.

I have one reel with cheapo line that came with a basspro Combe 4 yrs ago...I really like the way it casts...it's never been treated or cleaned.

I just opened a box of sci anglers supra line and I can't cast it flor Chit....not sure why? Any ideas?

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how much money you spend on line, if you fish 100+ days a year, it will be likely be shot at the end of the season. I've had $100 and $10 line, and it's all the same thing. My Wulff Tri-taper finally just #censor# the bed after 10 minutes. Scientific Anglers is the worst for me. It was so bad that I complained to them and they mailed 3 three new lines, which all equally started to crack already.

I'm sticking with the Risen line. It's cheap. It shoots so sweet, and easily replaceable.

I clean my lines at least once every 5 times I use them. Soak in water, wipe dry with microfiber cloth. Cortland or SA cleaning patch or spray. NO PAPER TOWEL, that will crack just help develop cracks.

I also carry mucilin with me and use in rough ater to ensure a high float. Just don't apply to heavy and it won't pick up enough dirt to notice.

This topic has come up time and time again here on the board. I think a lot of it has to do with what one thinks is degradation in his or her line and what you expect a lines performance to be. A $95.00 top shelf line should last you years and years and years. I have some Cortland and Orvis lines that have been in use for close to 10 years now, some 15+. I clean them at least once a year. As far as Armor All, as I've stated before on here. I've used it on some of my fly lines for years and get fantastic results out of it. It does a far better job than any thing made for fly line lubrication on some lines. Others not so much. I've cleaned line with hand soap and with high dollar stuff they sell for the job. Warm water seems to do just as well as anything. The only thing that I have seen that will turn your line to mush other than some kinda acid is any kinda bug juice with Deet in it. It pretty much eats the line. Use a mild soap or just warm water to clean your line and if your using a homemade lube for your line, test a small piece first. Don't make a science project out of cleaning and lubing your line. Oh, What are you doing with all that $95.00 line that is go'n bad for you every year? I'll send you a address to dispose of it correctly. Geesh, that line should last for years n years. smh

I use Orvis line on my 4wt and 6wt. I bought the line about 6 yrs ago I think I paid something like $50 each, maybe a little more. I clean the lines first with water and then Rio cleaner about 3 times a year and they are holding up real nice.

Good topic but I have a question. What is it the happens that you determine your line is shot? Is it cracks or is the finish worn off or what? I've used the same line on some of my outfits for 10+ years with a cleaning now and then and have no problems but maybe they're actually shot and I just don't know it!

longbowman58 wrote:
Good topic but I have a question. What is it the happens that you determine your line is shot? Is it cracks or is the finish worn off or what? I've used the same line on some of my outfits for 10+ years with a cleaning now and then and have no problems but maybe they're actually shot and I just don't know it!

I'm not experienced enough to give you a complete answer but if you have 10 yr old floating line and it's not floating (at the tip) then it's time to get a new line.

Back