Fly Line for Musky FFing

BlueSteel89

BlueSteel89

I'm going to purchase and Echo Ion 10wt combo, but I have no idea what to get for line. Do I want a sink tip, half floating, full sinking , floating etc. I don't know much about fly line unless it floats and is for trout. Any tips and brand suggestions would be helpful since there are so many to choose from. Also, I will mostly be fishing from a boat in lakes and probably the Susky if that makes a difference. Thanks

I'd recommend a weight forward, sinking line. There are a variety of shooting head set-ups, and some of these might allow for you to have floating and fast sink head systems. However, IMO, you'd be best to start off with a basic sinking line. Good to keep it simple for starts.

+1

No need for a floater if you'll be fishing primarily from a boat. I'd go with an int or full sink. Here's what I currently have on my 10wt...

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=94HG

Its nothing fancy, but ya cant beat the reduced price (I use the 11wt).

I also have a rio 400gr as a full sink...it's very nice, but that one gets deep in a hurry.

Wow that's cheap. I feel like I will be loosing money if I don't buy it! Thanks guys I think that will be a good starting point. All these different kinds of sinking lines confuse me.

I have clousers big nasty 8wt intermediate and it throws big flies very well. No complaints. Best part got it on sale because it's the glow in the dark kind.

After reading the reviews of the Orvis line I'm going to pass, thanks though. Anyone got any experience with the Rio Musky/ Pike intermediate line? Also, will the Rio Outbound Short be any good? I checked out Airflo 40+ but didn't see anything larger then 9 wt

Bluesteel my 2 favorite lines are the Rio outbound short and the Airflo 40+ sniper. The sniper does come in 10 wt. The sniper has a little shorter head than just the regular 40+. I think its the same length as the Rio (24' I think) I have been using the snipers for a year or so and love them but the rio outbound is just as good. If you are looking for one do all line I would go with the 40+ sniper in a type 3. Its a little faster than the intermediate but not a lot and a little slower than the type 7 so its the best of both worlds. You can fish your topwater with it as well. These lines are not cheap though.

Awesome thanks for the info

Back