Fly line direction

mute

mute

i just got a new WF fly line, and i was wondering, which end do you tie to the backing. The end of the line at the end of the spool, or is the front peice hanging off the spool the end you tie?

It SHOULD be the end on the OUTSIDE of the coil of line/spool.

Some manufacturers put a little tag on that end but in any case the end on the INSIDE of the coil is the leader end; NOT the backing end.

If youo can't figure it out, pull off about 10 feet of line. If it is even in diameter, that is the end you tie to your backing. The tip of the line will taper up and get noticably thicker as you get into the belly.

Its set up to load right off the retail spool. Attach it to your backing, give your kid a pencil, stick it thru the hole and reel it up.

And if you don't have a kid or any other human to hold the pencil, put the pencil through the spool and then place the pencil behind the rungs on a wooden chair back (or some other such parallel objects) with the spool in the middle, and reel away. I think the easiest way to reel it onto your reel is to put your reel on just the bottom section of a rod, unless somebody has a better idea. It would probably be easier to put the backing through the first guide before attaching it to the fly line, but I never think that far ahead!

Back