Fly Line Crack

P

pwk5017

Hello, I am relatively new to the fly fishing world. I bought the scientific anglers mastery gpx line in Jan-Feb of 2011 and noticed it began to crack around april/may. While I was at school I fished 3-4 times a week from Feb-1st week of May. Then, the fly rod took a break until about July when I dusted it off and got back out there fishing it 5-7 days a week(being an unemployed college grad does have some perks). Now, the line is cracked halfway through. Is this normal? Should I cut the tip off and tie a nail knot to a stout piece of mono to act as my connection to my leader, or just tie a perfection loop in the fly line? Idk, I sort of expected $70 line to hold up from 4-5 months of fishing.

Patrick

Attachments

• sa flyline.jpg
    sa flyline.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 3
Looks to me like that line got cut on something.
I wouldn't chance fishing with it.
I'd nail knot a piece of mono with a perfection loop to it

Happens. Cut it off, whip a loop onto it or nail knot something stout on the end and loop that. Regardless, cut it off.

Not cut, it just starts to crack at the end where the welded loop ends and the line begins. Fish with it if you want, you'll wick water up into the core and it won't float 'til it dries out, but the inner 20# core isn't damaged, so you don't have to worry about fish breaking off or anything.

Wow, thanks for the fast replies late at night, guys. Ok, I didnt think the core was damaged, but to be honest, I wasnt 100% either. I was wondering if I should cut and knot it tonight, but I will let it go til tomorrow or the weekend. I wanted to fish tomorrow, so it is nice to know the thing wont break. Never tied a nail knot before, so this should be entertaining...

I dont think it was cut, because it is a jagged line. Also, I noticed it was cracking months ago. Now, it is a full blown crack/cut etc. Explains why the tip of my line begins to sink after some time on the water.

coat it with some softex or thinned goop it will seal it and be like new..

It will be fine.

Seeing that it's so close to the end, I'd probably cut and tie in another perfection loop.

Also, lines are only rated for 200 hours of fishing. If you fish constantly, line is a yearly/every-other-year purchase.
Or learn to high stick and a line will last awhile.

That line looks beat to shlt
Taking better care of it will allow it to last longer

you can try to send it back to SA or take it to the shop where you bought it

Cut it off and attach a loop as noted above, but if you're unhappy with their line, and it is in fact a crack and not a cut, you should contact them. I'd expect SA to stand behind their product... especially if it's only 7 months old.

Attachments

• line.jpg
    line.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
A knick is one thing, and nothing to worry about.
But if it's cracked half way through - as he stated - it would bother me to fish with it, and I would replace the loop.
I mean, it might still be allright - but why chance it?
Be a real downer to have it break off on the stream with a nice size fish on

haha, I agree, that portion does look "beat to #OOPS#". The rest of the line is in pretty good shape. I only clean it every two months, so I guess I could take better care of it, but whatevs it's only line. The tip sinking and being slightly cracked never bothered me before, but I just became interested in fishing for carp, so thats when the concern of breakage arose.

I did contact SA last night before I made a post here. They offered to replace/repair it if I sent it in to them, or I could go to the dealer I purchased it from. The repair/replace option is $15 and takes 2-4 weeks. The dealer is in state college and I am in pittsburgh. Basically, if its not going to affect my fishing in the least I am not too concerned about it.

Check out International Angler on Stuebenville Pike for your next purchase. Nice, helpful guys there and if you have a problem, they'll take care of you.

If the cut hasn't reached the core line (looks like backing) then you're ok to repair it yourself. Goop is a good fix for many things. If it's down to the core then cut it off and tie on another loop. If you cut it, then make sure your line is dry, and seal off the end with goop, or something similar. You don't want the exposed core to get wet or it'll sink your line a bit.

You can also just look for a cheaper line and replace it every year. Allen has some nice lines (I have several) for like $22 on their site. Link is on the right of every page.

Get it fixed soon. Fall fishing is just around the corner.

Ryan

p.s. I'm not too far from the city, you should come to the Steelhead JAM, and if you ever want to fish a few other spots let me know.

pwk - there's an easy fix for this. It's also useful when the welded loop wears out.

ryguyfi wrote:
Check out International Angler on Stuebenville Pike for your next purchase. Nice, helpful guys there and if you have a problem, they'll take care of you.

If the cut hasn't reached the core line (looks like backing) then you're ok to repair it yourself. Goop is a good fix for many things. If it's down to the core then cut it off and tie on another loop. If you cut it, then make sure your line is dry, and seal off the end with goop, or something similar. You don't want the exposed core to get wet or it'll sink your line a bit.

You can also just look for a cheaper line and replace it every year. Allen has some nice lines (I have several) for like $22 on their site. Link is on the right of every page.

Get it fixed soon. Fall fishing is just around the corner.

Ryan

p.s. I'm not too far from the city, you should come to the Steelhead JAM, and if you ever want to fish a few other spots let me know.

Yeah, international anglers is a pretty good store. I bought my wading boots from them.
Ever since I began fly fishing, I was pumped about steelhead and salmon. School was rough during the spring semester and I kept hearing reports about how crappie the spring run was etc. so I never made the trip. My friend has invited me up to his cabin nov 4-6th, so I will be giving it a go. Hopefully, I get the position I am interviewing for next week, so I can purchase a new 7-8wt outfit. When is the jam?
Awesome video, heritage. I was trying to find the least obtrusive way of creating a loop. Perfection loop would have been bulky no doubt, the nail knot sounds like it has its downfalls etc. I will prob give that technique a shot.

It's not going to break off and cause the loss of fish of a lifetime. Loop fails when fighting a fish the loop to loop creates a knot which will enable landing the fish.

Link to Steelhead JAM

Also on a steal of a deal... join Allen Fly Fishing's emails. He just sent out a sweet deal on some lines that are only offered through the weekly emails.

I have similar nicks in my line. It happened to me when I was practicing casting. The leader got caught up in the line (a big nasty wind knot). I kept whipping it thinking would work itself out...big mistake! The leader cut in to the line with the same kind of cut you have. Might be what happened to yours. Now, anytime my line gets tangled I let it drop and undo the damage before it gets worse.

That line looks beat to shlt
Taking better care of it will allow it to last longer

The line looks fine. Cut it and tie on a new leader and tippet. Have fun. If that line is beat to schmitt, I'll eat my hat. You've got another year or so on that line yet. I've got an SA line that I just absolutely beat on and if you just run some maintenance on them and clean um every now and then you'll get years of use out of them. IMO.

Back