Fly Fishing Tackle Shops

S

steve98

If I go into a tackle shop in an area that I have not been before and ask advice about where to fish what type of flys to use etc., and advice is given to me . Am I obligated or is it a courtesy to buy something?

steve 98

I think a little of both.. when a guide tells me that certain flies are producing, I like to buy some of them from him or her.

especially when he or she gives me an access point.. you will always use flies.. if not, buy some leader or tippet.. or a hat lol

I've always felt it is a moral obligation to make at least a small purchase. Fly shops are (usually) a small business that need sales.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

If I go into a shop to see how things are on a certain stream I at least try to buy a pack of dubbing. You can never have enough dubbing anyways. It is sort of my addiction.

If it is a shop that they don't know you by name, meaning you are not a regular, I feel you should really buy something. If the guys know you, and you are going in to just say hi, you probably don't need to feel obligated.

But yeah, dubbing.

You should only feel obligated if you'd like the store to be in business the next time you stop in to ask for advice. :)

There is no obligation to buy anything. I say support the local shops so they will be there the next time you need a little advice. I always buy some flies whenever I stop in at a fly shop for some advice.

I have never gone into a shop for advice. I always ask advice though when I go into a shop to buy something.

I go into a shop and buy something and then give them advice.

steve98 wrote:
Am I obligated or is it a courtesy to buy something?

The courtesy is that most shops will give you information, regardless of if you make a purchase or not.

Would you go into a restaurant and sit at a table for a half hour without ordering anything but water?

Don't be that guy.

if you have to ask this question then you know the answer....JackM said it right

I say, buy something just to support the store. These types of business were once the heart and soul of flyfishing. The big box stores and the internet have changed that. It would be a shame to loose them. IMO

GenCon

Any shop that depends upon the charitable gestures of people who feel philosophically that they should by something just to keep the shop open is doomed to fail. When I need something, I stop in and buy it, and then I may or may not ask for advice on hatch activity.

Most fly shop owners really relish giving advice, especially to paying customers. One of my favorite owners hands out advice selectively depending upon how much I spend. I can read between the lines, however and know the area well enough to sort out the nuggets of wisdom from the deception.

(This post is mostly because I feel uncomfortable when anyone agrees with me :cool:)

JackM wrote:
Any shop that depends upon the charitable gestures of people who feel philosophically that they should by something just to keep the shop open is doomed to fail. When I need something, I stop in and buy it, and then I may or may not ask for advice on hatch activity.

Most fly shop owners really relish giving advice, especially to paying customers. One of my favorite owners hands out advice selectively depending upon how much I spend. I can read between the lines, however and know the area well enough to sort out the nuggets of wisdom from the deception.

(This post is mostly because I feel uncomfortable when anyone agrees with me :cool:)

I don't think any business is looking for "charity." I think there is something called common courtesy. I've seen many come into the shop just for "advice" or free casting lessons, or free fly tying lessons, or just to cast a rod (and buy it on-line or at another shop), or ask for free backing and to spool line on their reel (when neither the reel or line was purchased at the store).

One can only hope that at some point the customer will appreciate the good service actually buy something, even if it's just a tippet spool or a couple of flies.

Most fly shops offer services for free. There are no services offered on-line or at many of the big-box stores. It's really not ethical (to me anyway) to buy stuff somewhere else and take advantage of the services offered by fly shops; most of which are small business owners trying to make a living. ymmv.

Jack:
Any shop that depends upon the charitable gestures of people who feel philosophically that they should by something just to keep the shop open is doomed to fail.

Isn't that pretty much how all retail shops work when you get down to it, regardless of their wares? If the shops don't depend upon you spending your money there, then where's the income going to come from?

They provide a service in the form of advice, I courteously show my appreciation for their time & knowledge by putting some coin in their till.

Am I obligated to? No.

Would I like for them to still be there the next time around if I'm satisfied with the service provided? Yes. And by making a purchase I'd like to think I'm helping insure that that'll be the case.

I agree with those that first buy, then ask. At least have something in your hand by the time you start picking for intel.

First impressions and all.

EDIT: I agree with the "customer loyalty" advice giving. I welcome anyone that asks me questions or advice about playing banjo, and I'm not going to lie or steer you wrong, but for those that make an effort to either take lessons or spend some time with me they get to know the real "secrets of the temple".

Seriously. We have decoder rings and handshakes.

(not being serious)

You know as a previous guide, I really don't agree with the pick and play mentality. I've had more than a few guys talk about the money or flat out show it and not pay up...kind of bribe if you will. Guys would open wallets and show wads, hoping for bigger, more or who knows what else fish, in the end no satisfaction of busting my tail pulling 16+ hour days was enough with people with that mentality.

A quality shop may need sales, but you buying a spool for 1.50 of thread just for some information, isn't going to keep that door open ! Its nice to buy stuff, and believe me I bought plenty while I was in PA and MD. But at some point enoughs enough. Even as a comm tier which I've chose to walk away from for now, you can have too much crap! Buy what you need, IF you need it!

What really sells is word of mouth. Good shop, good customer service, good gear. You're going to go and buy stuff, hang out, and bring in new customers etc! Lord knows Great Feathers, Beaver Creek, and YBO walked away with plenty of my business.

Anyone who thinks buying some dubbing, a spool of tippet or even two dozen flies is keeping a shop open is deluded.

I try to buy as much as possible from local sources, in all walks of life. I do buy something in most every fly shop I enter but not as a way to gather intel on the stream.

I can assure you the best information is after supporting the store. Good information is priceless. 100 percent true!

addictedangler wrote:
I can assure you the best information is after supporting the store. Good information is priceless. 100 percent true!

Yeah, there's usually several levels of information you can receive. The info that they give everyone, the info they give regular customers, and then there is the info they give you if you are their regular customer, their friend, not a d-bag, and can be trusted not to run and tell everyone you know.

Back