Fly Fishing Stocked Trout Lakes.

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Any tips for EARLY morning stocked trout fly fishing in deep lakes?

I'm probably not going to have the best answer or know why but, in my local stocked trout pond i've had good success on pheasant tails, hairs ears nymphs etc. I've managed to catch only a few on dry flies such as ants/hoppers even though i see fish rising across the pond, I'm not really sure what they eat off the top but its not what im throwing. Tonight was a very good evening for me right before dark i caught 4 on a griffiths gnat, one 18+ brown trout.

Attachments

• 10543874_10201769206352395_1973046755_n.jpg
    10543874_10201769206352395_1973046755_n.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3
Wildbrowntrout wrote:
Any tips for EARLY morning stocked trout fly fishing in deep lakes?

Take water temps. Most trout in deep lakes here in PA are found in the deep water in summer due to the colder temps as shallow areas are too warm.
A good sonar system on your boat can help identify schools of stacked up stocked trout on the thermocline... however you will need some innovative, fast sinking line techniques to try and get down to them (these depths are often over 30 or 40').

leadcore shooting heads to get deep, other wise 5' of tippet with a indicator before it and fish near shore lines with some midge patterns. works here on the lakes.

chironomid larva(large midge larva 14-18) fished with a VERY long leader(have found 20-40') fished with a slip bobber and stop and a floating line OR full sink line with 7' leader and no indicator work well for deep presentations. If using the bobber method allow the waves to impart action. if using no indicator retrieve very slowly.

Back