Fly Fishing Stamp

We get spoiled in area's with a lot of non stocked self reproducing trout streams a lot of guys have to fish stocked waters or drive long distances.

You're right. I used to live in Washington Co. and I can attest that there is not a decent wild trout water within 1 1/2 hours drive.

nomad_archer wrote:
That guy should be careful what he wishes for. A FF stamp opens the door to a bait dunker stamp, a spin artificial lure stamp.... why not a stamp for everything just like the game commission.

How about the idea that ..what ever tackle or approach you want goes here... is unfair to trot-liners who want to anchor a baited string of hooks to the bank as their preferred method of fishing.

This could be flipped the other way. This is a permit to NOT do something, not TO do something. It's not like FFing is prohibited at any point. So really, FFing would have to be prohibited to then be allowed via a stamp, following the mode of other permits.

We, in some capacity, make such ambiguous decisions. It's judgement. We, in the capacity of the fish commission, decided that fly fishing was worth encouraging. It is because it makes better fishermen, sportsmen and aids in the production of naturalists. And this is a good thing.

syl

There won't be a FF stamp. That's just something random written by some random guy in a letter to the editor to a huntin & fishin mag.

I've never heard any such proposal by the PFBC, by any sportsmens group, and I've never heard of such a thing in any other state.

It ain't gonna happen.

I refuse to "bend the knee" to a FFO stamp. Now time to derail this thread and attack the true menance.. kayakers and tubers. Time for them to PAY up. There is a price to pay to interupt my serenity and now sir its time to pay! How bout all those moochers on Spring Creek Canyon. Do they possess a hunting license? Even a fishing license? Pay up jokers! The next time you send your yellow lab into a pool of rising fish while I stand with my mouth agape, I want to know you paid for that priviledge to disrupt my weekend. Lets stop all this bickering amongst anglers and focus on the true enemy, the general public at large.

I see no reason to add another stamp....its like adding options to a new car Pretty soon that great value becomes sticker shock. That being said, IMHO I think the fishing license (and trout stamp) in Pa is a great value, but I don't like the idea of add-ons.

I'd rather see a program where they set aside some water for bait fishing only. That way everyone feels like they got their value, and no one is left out. I wouldn't want anyone to be left out. And let's have a tenkara only section, and a power bait only section too. (Please realize I am only kidding.....) Just the same, whenever here is a perception of a "special interest" or some other limiting factor, this type of debate seems to start

These anti-fly people have not considered the economics with their superficial view. Right now everyone pays $10 for a trout stamp. Now supposedly this entitles you to fish any water where trout are stocked. Lets say you take a limit of trout opening day. Based on commercial trout hatchery prices a 11" trout is roughy $3.50. Ok, for the PA FBC it might cost $2.00. Once you have your limit you're done for the season. I venture to say the ones squaking the most about this take multiple limits of trout during the season regardless of the fact they only paid for 5 fish with their stamp.

jmflyfisher,

Kidding aside, let's try a thought experiment. Imagine a "bait fishing only" section of a stream that's heavily stocked early in Spring. How would that look by early May?

Also, how would the "fly envy" stop given the fly fishing only sections are much more likely to have trout in them by mid-spring? The bait only folks would simply be pacified for a few weeks, not unlike the current situation (Opening Day).

If I have to purchase a stamp for fly fishing and I only fish native streams and don't keep any fish then why should I have to purchase a trout stamp?

mattwolf wrote:
If I have to purchase a stamp for fly fishing and I only fish native streams and don't keep any fish then why should I have to purchase a trout stamp?

Your purchase supports resource management. Resource First, you know?

Fly-Swatter wrote:
jmflyfisher,

Kidding aside, let's try a thought experiment. Imagine a "bait fishing only" section of a stream that's heavily stocked early in Spring. How would that look by early May?

Also, how would the "fly envy" stop given the fly fishing only sections are much more likely to have trout in them by mid-spring? The bait only folks would simply be pacified for a few weeks, not unlike the current situation (Opening Day).

E'erbody knows this is true....

Trout stamp money goes directly to hatchery.

My thought here is around the argument I've heard about bait fisherman not being able to fish FFO areas and the question of fairness. To me, there is no argument, but I've had the discussion with those that raise the argument.....I'd gladly not fish in a bait only area....and like you, I am certain that a bait only would be void of trout by June each year, and would likely have more trash laying around. Fly fishermen aren't superior, and I'm not implying we are, but as an experiment, I'd think tie results would speak for themselves.

I used to see "news" from TAP Traditional Anglers of Pennsylvania, but they seem to have faded. Their premise was to remove all of the FFO areas..... Not sure if that organization even exists anymore.

mattwolf wrote:
Trout stamp money goes directly to hatchery.

The forum software ate my sarcasm tag. It's there, though, if you view the page source in your browser :)

I could care less if it was all tackle rules everywhere most are not walking in the places the distance im going no matter what their method of fishing is.

Back