Fly Fishing Magazine Article About Philadelphia

salmo

salmo

I just took delivery of the April/May issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine. Right on the cover is the title: "Philadelphia's Cheesesteak Trout." As you might expect Valley Creek is the first piece of water mentioned along with the Wissahickon, Pennypack, Neshaminy and Ridley Creeks. There's going to be a lot of out of state plates in Valley Forge Park in the foreseeable future. Each stream description comes with directions to stream areas to fish.

Valley creek? Not sure if I've heard of it.

That should keep people outta western PA :lol:

I have never heard of these "Destination" steams before. Thanks for the post and to Fly Fisherman. A cheesesteak would be good about now.

Teh_Fly

Now we won't be able to buy a decent cheesesteak anywhere in Philly...:cry:

Attachments

• valley .jpg
    valley .jpg
    183 KB · Views: 10
How do you tell the difference between a stocked and wild cheesesteak trout?

Stockers get Whiz. Wild get American.

I'll take a stocker!

shakey wrote:
Valley creek? Not sure if I've heard of it.

It's just a little runoff ditch...

:p

How do you even compare Valley with those others?! One wild stream and the others are all stockers!!

If they are stocked people already now about them.

Can you make a gemmie cheesesteak?

Gemmies cheesesteak... Makes me thing of a small certified organic food store that would serve double cheese burgers... A little paradoxal if you get my drift... No pun intended

You got to remember all those wild trout in Valley are descended from stockers. There's a good reason why it's catch and release. I've never fished the Pennypack or the Neshaminy. It would take me as long to get to them as it would to Valley or Ridley. If I'm looking for trout I hit Valley or Ridley. Since the stretch of the Wissahickon between Germantown Ave and Valley Green is no more than a 15 to 20 minute drive from my house I fish it a lot. Don't really fish till after the last stocking, but by then most of the bait and bucket brigade are convinced the state didn't stock enough trout and give it up. There are still a lot of trout in creek at that point, and quite a few survive the summer or even more than one year. If I see trout rising, I'll fish for them, but mainly I concentrate on the smallmouth and largemouth bass and the panfish . Besides the Wissahickon is lot more scenic than Valley or Ridley.

Attachments

• Wissahickon0004.jpg
    Wissahickon0004.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 9
JerryC wrote:
If I see trout rising, I'll fish for them, but mainly I concentrate on the smallmouth and largemouth bass and the panfish . Besides the Wissahickon is lot more scenic than Valley or Ridley.

smallies in the wiss can be some of the best fishing!

sometimes there are smallies in the part of valley that runs into the schuylkill.sometimes not too far from big browns .

Solitariolupo wrote:
If they are stocked people already now about them.

Or if they have special regulations.

None of the streams mentioned are exactly secret.

I'm just glad that they didn't include Tacony and Frankford Creeks, or I would've been really upset. Those two are real gems.

mooney4 wrote:
How do you even compare Valley with those others?! One wild stream and the others are all stockers!!

well,it's not like valley is as clean as the wiss,and the trout aren't any harder to catch.sometimes they bite anything shiny :)

Valley Forge seams to have been plagued with multiple problems in the past few years. I don't think I would eat anything from there.

Back