Fly Fishing Fresh Stocked Trout

rainbowsforlife

rainbowsforlife

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and I thought I would start off by asking what flies are good for newly stocked trout in lakes. Scott's run was just stocked and I figured I would try fly fishing there instead of spin fishing for pickeral. Should I fish a nymph rig near the bottom or a dry fly on top? I caught one trout on opening day in Hay Creek on a size 16 olive stretch tube scud I tied myself. It's always good to catch something on a fly you tied yourself. Would something natural looking be good? Or would something like an olive/black woolly bugger be sufficient? Maybe something flashy? Thank you guys for your help! I'm going this weekend hoping that the turkey hunting crowd isn't fishing.

I'd say fresh stocked in lakes screams wooly buggers. I like using flashy looking buggers. Crystal buggers are probably my favorite and I like to tie them with grizzly hackle. White or black are my go toos, but olive with black or olive with brown tail are productive.

Also a sanjuan worm with an indicator could really knock them dead.

I haven't had much luck fishing nymphs on lakes.

I plan to be up there on Saturday as well. Fly fishing from my kayak, will probably be using a lot of streamers and top water type of flies. Didn't know there are pickerel in there, are they plentiful?

A lot of the trout in Scotts will be fish that got caught and or released, or fish that evaded capture earlier. I had a friend that used to fish there often and routinely caught nice fish on top on fairly large dries. The only problem with that is that is if it's windy you can't fish the top effectively, and it often is. I caught a pickerel there the last time I fly fished it, and heard tell of some nice perch as well.

Back